Star Wars - The Force Awakens Discussion *SPOILERS*

marzman

Well? Who's seen it?

I had tickets for the midnight showing last night, and as a HUGE fan of the originals what was my verdict?

I was blown away. :teeth:

Honestly i thought it was absolutely fantastic. Brilliant story, maybe slightly too much comedy but it was genuinely funny, it was near perfect...

***WARNING - DO NOT CLICK IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT, UNLESS YOU WANT TO RUIN IT FOR YOURSELF***

...with the exception of the major plot point. Oh My God. How could they do this? As soon as the set piece began i knew what was going to happen. They did it well, but Han Solo didnt deserve that. If he was going to die he deserved a hero's death, not to be betrayed at his most vulnerable.

I think this would have genuinely been my all time favorite film if it wasn't for that. I went with my brother and nephew, and we all sat in silence on the way home due to the shock! Gutted. :-(

Edited by marzman
  • Like 2

Saw it at midnight too.

I thought it was meh.

Too many comedy lines in it.

Few plot holes I didn't like. Especially Rai and Fin picking up a lightsaber for the first time and using it pretty well :lol:

And the fact that they blew up the planet/death star with about 10 X wings.

I too thought was a bit harsh for Han to go that way... Poor Chewy :(

Don't get me wrong, good film, just not sure what i was expecting when I walked into it.

Just left the cinema.

It was good, really good, but I feel a bit empty tbh.

- It basically made 4-6 completely pointless, and pretended they didn't exist.

- It's essentially an identical story to 4. Big bad enemy owns the galaxy ruled by evil ugly bad guy we never meet, his bad apprentice has a big red sword and is related to one of the good guys, they make a big floating weapon to destroy the uprising, and random youngster from a desert planet saves the world. Yawn.

- You could see someone getting killed a mile off. Mid way through I thought to myself it was either going to be Han or Chewie, but as soon as Han stepped onto the bridge that was as clear as day.

- I'm glad they did kill Han off, Ford is really getting on as an actor and the role didn't suit him at that age. Legend, but it was the right call.

- The next film really needs to be a prequel. There's so much we need to know: Who is Rai, why did people take her family, what really happened between Luke & Kylo Ren, how did the First Order suddenly get so powerful, how did the Republic end up useless again, why did a droid decide to go into safe mode and not speak for god knows how many years, did no-one notice ever that R2 had a handy chunk of map missing with a handy course already laid in...? Sooooo many plot holes, I'm just trusting in the vision that the next two films will cover this all off, otherwise we've just watched The Phantom Menace pt2.

- It took Anakin years of study to master the Force, it took Luke a few weeks/months with the greatest Jedi Master ever, but Rai went from not knowing the Force at all to using mind tricks and force pull in a few hours? Really?!

- Surely, she has to be Luke's daughter.

The young leads were excellent, very well cast and superbly acted. The scene where the X-Wings come in over the water was a tingly-spine moment, and later on when it went all first-person from the cockpit was just amazingly well shot. It was a proper JJ Abrams film, the angles and set pieces were as good as I hoped. The comedy was a bit overdone perhaps, but most of it worked well I think and I say that as someone who didn't really enjoy the funny bits in 4-6.

I need to watch it again, but for me it was missing *something*. I can only hope that it all becomes clear in the next films.

• Like 3

Dan, i think you should edit your post mate to include the spoiler tags... :scare:

Yeah, i think it's obvious that Rey is gonna be Luke's daughter, but i reckon Poe could be his son, too. A masterful pilot like that, there's only one other kid who's had that in his back story.

And it seems like The Force is getting stronger in the Skywalker blood line. There must be some significance here that there are now 3 generations of such extreme good and evil within the same family. If they were all wiped out surely there would be peace in the galaxy!

I get the empty feeling though too, but for me thats just from the way Han was killed. If he'd have died saving everyone's life like a true hero then we'd be sad but proud of him, but instead we were robbed of his presence for no good reason, it was just a waste.

My nephew reckons he isnt dead though. There were soooo many parallels with his death and Empire when Vader chopped Luke's hand off. For all we know he could have been sat on an arial antennae and been picked up by Lando before the planet exploded!

Edited by marzman

Dude, the title of the thread has SPOILER in it, I think it's safe to assume people will know not to click unless they've seen it! :lol:

Yeah, Poe needs a bigger part/explanation I think. I genuinely didn't mind how Han died, but then I was never attached to him in the way many SW fans are: For me, he was just a guy, and Luke was always the proper hero.

Also, I reckon Rey could turn out to be proper evil. She was f*cking psycho when going mental at Kylo Ren at the end, just like Anakin was when he went after Obi Wan...

Dude, the title of the thread has SPOILER in it, I think it's safe to assume people will know not to click unless they've seen it! :lol:

Yeah, Poe needs a bigger part/explanation I think. I genuinely didn't mind how Han died, but then I was never attached to him in the way many SW fans are: For me, he was just a guy, and Luke was always the proper hero.

Also, I reckon Rey could turn out to be proper evil. She was f*cking psycho when going mental at Kylo Ren at the end, just like Anakin was when he went after Obi Wan...

To the first post, So we did have the same thoughts :lol:

Another well made point I forgot about, Rey is basically the complete opposite to the Light side/Jedi Law.

Also, the Sith Lord (Hologram) I'm guessing we all know it's just going to be a normal sized dude, just appearing large in hologram right?

I only have one question, will it net more than the star trek re-boot? On a cumulative basis? Tbh given the feedback after seeing the OMG new star wars movie vs I've just seen the new star wars movie, I dont think so.

LLAP y'all xx

Ekonas first post pretty much hits the spot for me, this is clearly set up for a three part story, Im just a bit worried its going to be 4,5,6 all over again - young Skywalker gets tutored by old Jedi master and takes on powerful dark force with help from mates etc. only to pull victory from jaws of defeat against all odds etc.

A few holes, but no doubt they will be sorted in the next two and Harrison Ford (note: not Han Solo) was killed off because he was too old, I didnt even see him as the same character. He is 100% dead too, otherwise Leia wouldnt have felt it. Threepio is feeling a bit tired for me, but Ill never get how they manage to make non speaking droids both cute and funny in these things, impressive work.

Bottom line for me is despite this obviously setting groundwork for the next two, and despite the holes its still got the ability to totally transport you off to another galaxy right up until the credits roll, not much else can say that. Yesterday was the first Star Wars film my missus had seen and she cant wait to watch the other 6 now, I think that says it all :)

I loved it!......this is the star wars film we have been waiting for. It really emphasised how strong the force really is compared to the previous films, much more grittier and grown -up.

I also think Rai has to be Luke's daughter. No training and able to fend off Ben Solo/Ren trained in the darkside?.....she's gonna be great. The only thing I didn't like was the abrupt ending.

They're bringing out 1 spin-off film a year too, so not too long to get another star-wars fix!

• Like 1

I do wonder if they listened to Akhbar and it really is a trap ......... there are so many similarities between Luke and Rey that it would be a proper shocker if rather than following the New Hope story it all went a bit mental in the next one, I cant see her turning darkside with chewy as her mate either.

Whoever the main villain is hasnt shown themselves yet either, apart from the mindreading Ben is a bit ......... ahhh, I think we all forgot Chewy injured him before he fought with Fin and Rey, maybe thats why he turned in a pretty weak performance?

I think there will be some major surprises in the next one, probably centred around people doing @*!# you dont expect them to, so baddies becoming goodies and vice versa, we shall see :)

After watching it i really want a BB8 droid!!

Oh, whats this::.

http://www.johnlewis.com/sphero-star-wars-bb-8-app-enabled-droid/p2325197?sku=235076834&kpid=235076834&s_kenid=5335c92a-1b03-d449-7382-00003f3ffaad&s_kwcid=402x1564530&tmad=c&tmcampid=73#media-overlay_show

Thats about all i took away from the film... Not being a Star Wars fan i found myself feeling a bit like Big Bang Theory's Penny while at the cinema!!! But thats some wife points in anyway :lol:

• Like 1

Went to see it last night, not sure how I feel about it, was a good movie but reminded me of total recall, basically the same as before but changed a bit. New characters were good, c3p0 and leia got fat, there was comedy but the right amount and not jaja kid pish. The bad guy.... at least he can be hated now and will hopefully be a bit more evil looking under that helmet.

Looking forward to the next film, I expect luke and leia to be the hero's parents as Dan said previously, powers too quickly for my liking unless its her 11th toe that has caused it.

I loved it! JJ has really brought the star wars universe back to life after the dreadful prequels.

I tent to not worry to much about plot holes and take it at face value as all the films have had massive holes in them to be fair.

Think I might have to go see it at the cinema again now :D

• Like 1