Nismo Manifold - is it worth it?

jimjam92

Hi Guys,

I am currently looking at a set of Nismo exhaust manifolds. I already have an aftermarket catback (although it's a Japspeed one and sucks, so is being replaced with a full custom system in the near future) and I am looking to add the kinetix inlet manifold and rev up as well.

I am looking to get 300hp after a remap. I am sure these will help however are they worth it for the price of effectively having to split the car down the middle to install them? Or can I comfortably reach this figure without them?

Car is 2003 DE GT pack

Already have Z1 Motorsports 'Z-Tube' and Blitz SUS filter

Cheers

post-27844-0-79289000-1448894342_thumb.jpg

I know how you feel,I am at present trying to get more power out off my engine as it seems to drop off at 6700 rpm,my car has uprev,millteks,plenum spcer,hfcs and a pop charger.I have been told to remove the hfcs and totallly decat it.

can anybody else give me advice on this matter,without going to rebuilds,turbos and super charging.

cheers :D

I know how you feel,I am at present trying to get more power out off my engine as it seems to drop off at 6700 rpm,my car has uprev,millteks,plenum spcer,hfcs and a pop charger.I have been told to remove the hfcs and totallly decat it.

can anybody else give me advice on this matter,without going to rebuilds,turbos and super charging.

cheers :D

Your only 500-600rpm away from redline, its power has got to tail off somewhere.

Decats and light weight flywheel will free it up a bit more but in essence, they are a big lazy V6 and never really going to be anything different unless you force induction them :)

Look at it another way: Where can you remove weight to get the extra power from? What I mean is, you want 300bhp to shift 1500kg (for the sake of argument), but if your car only weighed 1450kg then you only need 290bhp to go just as fast. Actually, you'd be quicker because of the reduced mass.

Lose 100kg and you only need 280bhp, and so on and so forth. Also, removing stuff is free! :D

• Like 5

Look at it another way: Where can you remove weight to get the extra power from? What I mean is, you want 300bhp to shift 1500kg (for the sake of argument), but if your car only weighed 1450kg then you only need 290bhp to go just as fast. Actually, you'd be quicker because of the reduced mass.

Lose 100kg and you only need 280bhp, and so on and so forth. Also, removing stuff is free! :D

You make it sound so easy...

How much does the sound deadening weigh? Just curious, because the car is obviously compromised (assuming not track only) if you take that out, so I wouldn't want to do it. The rest of the things you mention surely add up to about 20kg max. My point was (and is) that to lose 100kg, I think you'd have to remove / replace an awful lot of parts, and that means a very compromised car and / or huge expenditure.

You might not want to go that far, agreed, but you could use light foam instead of the heavy gunky stuff to replace the sound deadening as a cheap example. Manifolds and remaps and flywheels aren't cheap either, especially if you're not fitting them yourself, so I still maintain this is a viable option. Certainly no harm in reducing a little bit of weight at least, even 20kg would make a difference.

everyone knows the most cost effective way of having a faster car... which is selling the zed and buying a faster car! Trying to chase an extra 10bhp here or 10kgs less there really isn't going to make a noticeable difference, you're still in a zed, it'll still be only moderately powerful and overweight. Should stop trying to change it and enjoy it for the things it does well - great V6 soundtrack, meaty handling and big capacity NA grunt.

• Like 3

Should stop trying to change it and enjoy it for the things it does well - great V6 soundtrack, meaty handling and big capacity NA grunt.

I thought my Z had all the optional extras but it has never handled my meat...

Now there's an upgrade I'd pay for.

imho on these cars headers, decats, cams, inlet, pulleys, flywheel and pistons aren't worth the overall costs compared to the gains. yes a full build all motor DE will have 340bhp+ *on the right dyno, but you are going to have to spend the vaule of the car almost to get there. all to go faster than what on the road? you'll still have a battle to stay ahead of a stripped 190bhp Glanza. also the driveability could suffer as a result, is it really worth it?

Edited by davey_83

Save your money, the headers will help, but for the price its an expensive gain, same goes for the plenum, AFAIK the Kinetix is intended for FI really and wont make I big difference, better off with a plenum spacer IMO.

You can still attain 300BHP or close with decats, exhaust and plenum spacer with a remap.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys, wont bother with the manifolds then. Will still try to push for 300 with the exhaust system, remap and Kinetix manifold (already in the post :) ).

As far as weight saving goes I was always going to change the seats anyway, fancy some bride recliners. I will look at other places I can shed weight, I've already got rid of the spare wheel and jack, as well as some lightened suspension components.

Where are the other places I can easily lose weight?

Seats weigh at least 200kg, spare wheel too, whip 'em out!

This would be my thought process too. Removing the wheel is free and the seats while potentially pricey to replace depending on what you chose do not compromise the car like other savings do (increased noise, vibrations etc), but would free up a ton of weight.

Edited by Sargara