Blown up 350Z! :(

Wicksaay

you people, are legends! thanks guys (y) - My solicitor is my missus's uncle, so i have no charges! he has drafted a letter for me which i will send recorded delivery along with the report from the garage i have taken it too...

Again, Thanks guys! :)

• Like 2

I'm under the opinion that regardless what the seller said to you, the onus is still on you to check the car and that you are completely happy before handing over your money. Did you do this? did you check the oil on the sellers forecourt??

Dealers promise the earth and rarely deliver, I have had cars that will come with a full service, and nothing had been done, I moaned like mad and the dealer supplied a filter and 5 litres of cheap synth oil, its all bollocks, as are any warranties they give, I had a Fiat Coupe with similar issues to yours, burning oil, they said the warranty was parts only and would pay for the piston rings, then laughed, they very nearly had a night time visit to their forecourt with a litre of brake fluid and a water pistol, I wouldn't advocate that approach but that is how I felt.

they are generally shysters and have zero responsibility towards the consumer.

100% what Ekona said.

And have a shuffle under the car and have a look at the filter. After 500 mile use it should still be mint condition with no tarnishing. Get pics as I doubt they touched it.

I doubt it did have a service however that is irrelevant

Could be that a new oil filter was fitted and the oil was never put in. I've heard of this being done - same as twice the amount of oil being put in at oil change time due to mis-communication and/or incompetence of the person(s) carrying out the work.

All what, if's and maybe's now. Just hope you get it sorted in your favour and quickly Jack. Keep us posted :thumbs:

Ill keep you guys posted, i have drafted my letter and im ready to post it! - its just being read over by the solicitor to make sue all wording is correct and ill slam it in the post as recorded delivery and see where it goes from there! (y)

Stu is right. Simply return the car and ask for a refund, end of.

When he doesn't, you go to Money Claim On Line (MCOL) and state your case. This is as close to a slam dunk as I've ever seen, especially with the new law in place, but you're never 100% guaranteed a win. Judges can be fickle things.

Keep all correspondence in writing, and preferably either via email or Special Delivery so you have proof of signature.

This, and just this. No solicitors needed, no engine inspections, no trading standards, no additional time, effort or money required, the car has died within 28 days so will almost certainly be considered not fit for purpose whether you checked the oil or not.

I know people are only trying to help but theres some dodgy advice going on here.

they are generally shysters and have zero responsibility towards the consumer.

No mate, they are generally businesspeople who are subject to very tight legislation that protects their customers. The people that buy broken cars from them and then fail to follow the proper channels have only got themselves to blame.

Stu is right. Simply return the car and ask for a refund, end of.

When he doesn't, you go to Money Claim On Line (MCOL) and state your case. This is as close to a slam dunk as I've ever seen, especially with the new law in place, but you're never 100% guaranteed a win. Judges can be fickle things.

Keep all correspondence in writing, and preferably either via email or Special Delivery so you have proof of signature.

This, and just this. No solicitors needed, no engine inspections, no trading standards, no additional time, effort or money required, the car has died within 28 days so will almost certainly be considered not fit for purpose whether you checked the oil or not.

I know people are only trying to help but theres some dodgy advice going on here.

There wasnt until you added some !

The guy has already been contacted by phone and is clearly not going to play ball , for the car to be considered unfit for purpose then someone has to consider it ie a court but it is not cut and dried by any means

The next correct step is a letter stating the issue and how the OP wishes the matter solved , a complete refund is not unreasonable

The car cannot be moved , nor any repair work under gone until authorisation has come back from the seller

I agree that any inspection as to what caused the failure and whether the car was serviced or not is immaterial

So you write a letter (post 25), and when you dont have a refund 14 days after the seller has received it you use moneyclaim online.

A car with a blown up engine cant really be disputed but regardless you have the right to return it without giving any opportunity to repair as its clearly not fit for purpose under Consumer rights Act (assuming it was bought after 10/15).

How does that differ to anything Ive posted?

I'd recommend Trade Cars 4 U in Keighley when you replace it. I know the name is povvy as hell, but believe me, he's a real star,

His after sales is faultless. I worked in the trade for 20 years and never found a salesman like him.

He'll find you a peachy Z.

no lights, i came home, left it on the drive for 10 mins, then went back out to go to my girlfriends and it wouldn't start.... checked the oil and the sump is dry! so then got a mate to take me to the garage to get oil, put some in it... and it started running... got halfway to my girlfriends and it started knocking and went into limp mode!

Oil isn't the only reason that will cause an engine to fail. This will be picked up on the report. Prior to failure, did the oil light come on at all like just before it failed? did it seize? did it splutter to a halt? did it overheat? did you throw a rod through the block and leave 4 litres of oil 50 yards down the road.

So, what exactly is wrong with the engine? Blown up could mean all sorts of things. Lack of oil normally results in the bearings spinning and bottom end going, I wouldn't call that blowing up! If however when the car didn't start and you then overfilled it with oil (remember they are notoriously difficult to get a proper reading unless left overnight) then that could cause all sorts of problems, especially if given a bit of welly! You need to find out EXACTLY what the engine failure is before you can accuse the vendor of participating in anything that contributed to that failure!

You need to find out EXACTLY what the engine failure is before you can accuse the vendor of participating in anything that contributed to that failure!

JESUS. :surrender:

It doesnt matter what the problem is, under consumer rights you can return the car and get a full refund. Unless you want a car with an engine rebuilt by someone who doesnt car much for his customers, of course, in which case you can return it, wait 2 months and potentially go through the whole saga again.

• Like 1