Blown up 350Z! :(

Wicksaay

Morning Guys,

I picked up my 350Z on the 4th November just gone....

I was told when i brought the car that it had an oil and filter change and it was perfect, so i didn't bother to check the car.. (Now kicking myself!)

Anyway, the car has now blown up, it has covered 514 miles since the 9th October, so realistically its covered less than 500 under my ownership.

I phone the company yesterday and he has told me its all down to my negligence as i have run the car with no oil in it.

He then later confirmed that the car had an oil and filter change, which rings alarm bells with me. That means the car has burnt 4L of oil in under 500 miles!?!

I have only owned the car for 11 days!? this means either he is lying to me and he didn't check the oil OR the car is not fit for purpose and its got a fairy drinking the oil?

I've had no black smoke, no leaks, no nasty smells or anything!

Im now stuck as to where i stand with this? ive had to contact a solicitor as he is saying its 100% my negligence and hes getting his legal team involved...

Anyone know what/where i could do/go with this?

Thanks

Jacko! - I do believe if i get this resolved i will be buying a proper 350Z!

• Like 1

If you've only owned it 11 days I would say you are in a very very good position to ask for a full refund . Someone else who has more knowledge will be along soon to say exactly what you can do . Sounds to me like there wasn't enough / any oil in when the service was done .

Gutted for you :(

Hope you get it sorted !

He's already said he didn't .

But to be fair there is no way ( if the service was done 500 miles earlier ) that it would through that much oil with out signs of it .

I'd be taking it straight back to the dealer handing over the keys and saying I want a full refund , if not take him to a small claims court .

Edited by Bodyboarder81

He's already said he didn't .

But to be fair there is no way ( if the service was done 500 miles earlier ) that it would through that much oil with out signs of it .

I'd be taking it straight back to the dealer handing over the keys and saying I want a full refund , if not take him to a small claims court .

If you assume the oil was full which is a dangerous assumption. The dealer has got a good defence imo. Would have been a lot simpler had the op checked the oil even after the event and topped it if needed. Not going to be a straightforward one here

i brought it from Lakeview Cars in Biggleswade, near Bedfordshire. Im proper gutted, but im now left with no car! and the guy doesnt seem to care, he asked me to get it recovered at my cost and he will do the work at his cost but then i need to cover it? I.E pay cost price.

which i know he will not just charge cost price, and i also have no guarantee this will not be a cut and shut job?

He has already tired to tell me that under no circumstances is he paying any bills?

Can he do this when ive only owned it 11 days?

Even his website stated that the cars are 'serviced to a high standard' ?

Sure the boys with SoG act knowledge will be on here shortly - just seems to me it wasn't fit for purpose if you need to put 4L of oil in it every 500 miles. I wonder if whoever did the oil filter change simply forgot to top up the oil again?

• Like 1

If they did an oil & filter change (did they confirm in writing at all? Any receipts or invoices in the file?) and its burnt it all in less than 600 miles (I assume there isn't a huge puddle on your drive or evidence of 5 litres gushing out) then surely, it's not fit for purpose and falls under Consumer Rights Act (formerly sale of goods act)?

So you should be able to return for a full refund according to this: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/the-second-hand--car-i-bought-has-a-problem-what-are-my-rights

If I were you I'd reject the car and not get into repairs with them (particularly if they can't even do an oil change).

Edit: you need to do stuff in writing, special delivery, signed for etc and I think you have 30 days to kick it back according to the link above. Don't waste any time once you know your ground.

There is no proof in writing, but my dad called him on his work telephone yesterday which i believe records calls, and he confirmed that the car left his garage with sufficient oil in it, (half way up the dipstick).

I Part exchanged my old car with him and paid the difference in cash...

and i have seen no evidence of the car losing oil at such a horrific rate!

So, i now have the car in for an inspection at a known garage my end, and they are going to do me a report.

Thanks for this guys, much appreciated!

Edited by Wicksaay

Oil isn't the only reason that will cause an engine to fail. This will be picked up on the report. Prior to failure, did the oil light come on at all like just before it failed? did it seize? did it splutter to a halt? did it overheat? did you throw a rod through the block and leave 4 litres of oil 50 yards down the road?

no lights, i came home, left it on the drive for 10 mins, then went back out to go to my girlfriends and it wouldn't start.... checked the oil and the sump is dry! so then got a mate to take me to the garage to get oil, put some in it... and it started running... got halfway to my girlfriends and it started knocking and went into limp mode!

Stu is right. Simply return the car and ask for a refund, end of.

When he doesn't, you go to Money Claim On Line (MCOL) and state your case. This is as close to a slam dunk as I've ever seen, especially with the new law in place, but you're never 100% guaranteed a win. Judges can be fickle things.

Keep all correspondence in writing, and preferably either via email or Special Delivery so you have proof of signature.

• Like 4

Well, the car obviously had no oil in it! because if it did, i wouldn't be in this position now? but i cant prove that he did or he didnt.... he is saying he did.

this is where im lost, i dont know how to go about it :(

He cant prove it either can he ?

It works on probability, you need to write the letter and you need to document the process. You shouldnt take the car back and you should follow the advice of your solicitor , not the people on here however well meaning they are

True, although you really don't need a solicitor for this and tbh I'd save the money. The law is incredibly good on this kind of stuff.

Maybe hire one for the day when you actually go to court if you can get a little nervous when public speaking, but until then I wouldn't bother.

• Like 1