USA road trip?

TT350

I did the Midwest US and A back in 2003 and I'd love to do it again.

This time as part of a group.

All my friends are churning out spawn like we're about to become extinct so - they're a no go for, well, anything for the next couple of decades.

Who would be interested in a couples road trip next August/September?

Do the Pacific highway. Sand Diego. Los Angeles. Yellowstone park. Grand Canyon. San Francisco. Las Vegas. Etc etc. Plan things to do in each location.

Approx 3 weeks.

Rent a huge SUV.

• Like 1

Rent a huge SUV.

Better and cheaper to rent an RV. I've done this twice now, for a start it saves having to start searching for motels early in the afternoon in busy tourist areas.

P1014019.jpg

Pete

The hotel's would all be booked in advance. Have you seen The Hills Have Eyes?!

Great route :thumbs: I loved the San Fran, San Diego, Vegas triangle. Ragtop Camaro FTW, you just squeeze three men and light luggage in!

The three of us booked the first hotel and the last one, all the others we just barrelled up at night to hotels & motels. There was only one night where we even came close to sleeping in the car and that was in SF. Did the same thing in The Deep South and only got one raw deal, Gainesville, WORST MOTEL EVER. Smelt of murder, empty pool with growing algae, 110 degrees at night with a rattley AC unit that didn't blow cold air and sheets with bloodstains :lol:

Edited by SuperStu

IMO the only proper way to do a US roadtrip is in a Corvette/Mustang/somethingsimilar. Everything else is just no fun on those long and empty country roads.

True, but only if you are Jonny no mates. :lol:

I have done this countless times over the years the last time was in 2013.

The last time there were 14 of us including two Americans and 4 ex pats. living the dream in Central Florida and HUGE RV's are definitely the only way to go.

We were planning to do another trip next year (2016) probably in September/October as August is a bit hot and humid.

A convoy of RV's sounds like a plan. :thumbs:

Edited by ZMANALEX

IMO the only proper way to do a US roadtrip is in a Corvette/Mustang/somethingsimilar. Everything else is just no fun on those long and empty country roads.

True, but only if you are Jonny no mates. :lol:

I have done this countless times over the years the last time was in 2013.

The last time there were 14 of us including two Americans and 4 ex pats. living the dream in Central Florida and HUGE RV's are definitely the only way to go.

We were planning to do another trip next year (2016) probably in September/October as August is a bit hot and humid.

A convoy of RV's sounds like a plan. :thumbs:

So, one potential candidate so far. Should be great fun.

Oh - I'd like to visit some nuke test sites too. And tge UFO hot spots. Tin hats at the ready.

Did New York to LA in a big loop down south to via Dallas with 3 mates 5 years ago. The route we did was keeping off the main roads and seeing the ' real America '.

We keep saying that we would need to do the Pacific coast starting from Portland. Will keep an eye on this thread if it is genuinely a goer so to speak.

Did New York to LA in a big loop down south to via Dallas with 3 mates 5 years ago. The route we did was keeping off the main roads and seeing the ' real America '.

We keep saying that we would need to do the Pacific coast starting from Portland. Will keep an eye on this thread if it is genuinely a goer so to speak.

Well I'm going regardless so it's a goer for me lol.

If you are going to do a one way trip across Merica phone round all the Car Hire places when you are going to start first, they will give you big discounts on the car and fuel if you take a car back to "home"

Every time I have hired a car in San Fran I get asked if I want to drive one of the "Canadian" plated cars back instead of flying. Normally anyone who does the trip hires decent cars for the drive down, so it not like you will be driving a a piece of crap for a few thousand miles.

The Pacific Highway from San Fran to Vancouver is on my list when I get time B)

• Like 1

Sounds like a cool idea for a trip. I would definitely want a mustang, love American muscle...OH would probably want the RV, so arguments straight away lol

Did a drive trip around Canada a while back, and travelled a bit through America (New York to Vegas).....would love to go again! However, we've done some serious mileage this year. Drove to Scotland at Christmas and then down to the south of France in the summer and I don't think OH is up for another big drive holiday just yet, has his heart set on Antigua for next year (fly to beach).

Good luck though guys, sounds fun :)

Sounds like a cool idea for a trip. I would definitely want a mustang, love American muscle...OH would probably want the RV, so arguments straight away lol

Did a drive trip around Canada a while back, and travelled a bit through America (New York to Vegas).....would love to go again! However, we've done some serious mileage this year. Drove to Scotland at Christmas and then down to the south of France in the summer and I don't think OH is up for another big drive holiday just yet, has his heart set on Antigua for next year (fly to beach).

Good luck though guys, sounds fun :)

We're also doing Aruba :)

• Like 1

Actually planning this trip for 2017 so if you enjoy it and want to do it again hit me up

Bring it forward! There's no questions of enjoyment. Guaranteed.

I can't. We have a trip to Orlando in November to pay for and possible another one before then in February.

Rent a huge SUV.

Better and cheaper to rent an RV. I've done this twice now, for a start it saves having to start searching for motels early in the afternoon in busy tourist areas.

P1014019.jpg

Pete

The hotel's would all be booked in advance. Have you seen The Hills Have Eyes?!

Booking hotels in advance? Well yeah, I've done that back in 2007 when I took my then 18 year old daughter around the National Parks in The West in July...Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Arches, Mt Rushmore plus many more. I booked in advance because it was July and I knew exactly which route to take and how long to stay in each area, done it many times before. If you've never been before then by booking in advance you lose a lot of flexibility and TBH if you go after the labor day holiday in September then you'll have few if any problems in finding motels.

I've been in April, June, July, August and September. The best 2 months weather wise are June and September, July and August are hot (40+C is very common) and if anyone is considering hiring a convertible and visiting Arizona, Utah and parts of California then you'll have little chance to get the hood down, unless of course you like having a hair dryer on full heat 12" away from your head :lol: . I prefer June, it's warming up nicely 25-low 30's and rainfall is very low but the best thing is the evenings are much lighter so in effect you get 4 hours of extra light compared with September. Also, although the school holidays in The U.S.A actually start in late June nothing much really happens holiday wise until after 4th July. Finally, motels, car hire, RV hire and flights are considerably cheaper in June.

Not seen the hills have eyes BTW.

Pete