Kebabs.

TT350

Now we're talking. Literally my favorite food group.

First kebab - Donner kebab, aged 14

Toppings - Chilli Sauce and Mayo

Fillings - Only onion, nothing else

Bread - prefer Naan or a wrap but often i'll just order donner meat in a tray to cut down on carbs ;)

Best Kebab - I've spent about a month in Athens on business and the best kebabs i've ever had by a country mile were from Thanasis Kebab in Monastiraki.

Recently i've just moved towards stoke on trent and they have quite a few new kebab shops to try! My new favourite is a Chicken Shwarma on a Samoon - a lovely, odd shaped soft bread. Only £2.50 too!

They sell mini donner kebab machines for home use, i've been meaning to get one for years!

51XKd3%2BkE6L.jpg

Now we're talking. Literally my favorite food group.

First kebab - Donner kebab, aged 14

Toppings - Chilli Sauce and Mayo

Fillings - Only onion, nothing else

Bread - prefer Naan or a wrap but often i'll just order donner meat in a tray to cut down on carbs ;)

Best Kebab - I've spent about a month in Athens on business and the best kebabs i've ever had by a country mile were from Thanasis Kebab in Monastiraki.

Recently i've just moved towards stoke on trent and they have quite a few new kebab shops to try! My new favourite is a Chicken Shwarma on a Samoon - a lovely, odd shaped soft bread. Only £2.50 too!

They sell mini donner kebab machines for home use, i've been meaning to get one for years!

51XKd3%2BkE6L.jpg

I need this in my life.

Also i meant to say... on my first overnight trip away from home with work i had a food budget of £25 - so i literally spent all £25 in a kebab shop in Reading and was in there for over 2 hours eating kebabs/chips/burgers and drinking cans of Fanta and Dr Pepper etc. It was amazing, but the next day onsite with my customer was painful!!

• Like 1

Also i meant to say... on my first overnight trip away from home with work i had a food budget of £25 - so i literally spent all £25 in a kebab shop in Reading and was in there for over 2 hours eating kebabs/chips/burgers and drinking cans of Fanta and Dr Pepper etc. It was amazing, but the next day onsite with my customer was painful!!

Spirited!

To be fair I'm guilty of thinking of kebabs in the context of greasy after drinking type foods hence my original post but I do make my own meat and veg on a skewer from time to time.

Chicken marinated in the Nando's lemon and garlic marinade with some sweet pepper & onion pieces slowly cooked on a barbecue are fantastic (spray some of the marinade when you turn) . Pita bread can't be beaten for this to be served in.

Also like making my own marinades from mild through to having the loo roll in the freezer just in case :lol:

I've recently started getting into proper hot foods, which is odd for me as I went the first 20 years of my life being afraid of a Korma. Anyways, I was getting braver and braver and pretty much eating the hottest of the hot in terms of food whenever we went out anywhere, so when I was at the Ideal Home Exhibition this year I made my way to the food court. There was a guy giving taste samples of his marinades.

Me being me, I went straight for the hottest one, knowing that nothing was outside of my grasp.

"Careful mate, don't take too much, that's pretty spicy!" warned the merchant. Clearly he means to normal people, not to me. I load up the spoon.

I shove it down in one. Mmmm, that's tasty. Ooh, there's a bit of a kick. Hmmm, that's getting a bit tickly. F*** ME WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY THROAT??!!

:scare: :scare: :scare:

Yeah, he wasn't mucking around. Of course, I'm a typical bloke so couldn't show any weakness, so I slinked off round the corner to the Echo Falls stand, and knocked back three glasses of Moscato Rose as it was the only cold drink I could grab quickly :blush: Many man points were lost that day.

Lesson well and truly learnt.

Had my first "kebab" in Germany as a teenager, was a Gyros Pitta from local greek, then mived up to proper kebabs from turkish shops in Germany.

Currently i have a fav shop in Cologne, Ökmen Grill, best kebab shop in town, fav order is Lamachun (Turkish Pizza) with döner meat and salad.

All kebab shops over here have an onsite oven, so Lamachun is made fresh to order, i.e. raw dough to finished product

F3E54F5D-8563-4984-A0B0-EC88B82B9165_zpsu1f5optj.jpg

657E9503-8874-42C7-8CF3-767ABDECD4EA_zpse26dl343.jpg

Regular Döner Sandwich looks like this

2E7C7B0A-E064-4EA3-973B-7BB7752BDED6_zpszr2jl3ux.jpg

Edited by BulletMagnet
  • Like 2

Shinfield kebab van, just outside Reading. To this day the best kebab I've ever tasted - trust me I've had a few in my time - mixed chicken and doner, on a wrap, with hot chilli and garlic sauce, salad (no tomatoes)

Drooling at the thought....

Edited by fatrab

I don't understand kebab shops that offer mayo on kebabs but no yoghurt mint and cucumber sauce.

Particularly when you can get pretty reasonable "gaaaalicsoss mayed?" from Bookers, which is usually where the meat has come from as well - if you cant see the elephant leg cooking then its coming out of a tub, pre shaved as it were.

You also need a spicy potato accompaniment IMO, our usual doesnt do them but the chip shop over the road does, so we offer the dude on the phone an extra fiver to nip over and add them to the order before the delivery feller gets given it :lol:

• Like 1

I don't understand kebab shops that offer mayo on kebabs but no yoghurt mint and cucumber sauce.

Particularly when you can get pretty reasonable "gaaaalicsoss mayed?" from Bookers, which is usually where the meat has come from as well - if you cant see the elephant leg cooking then its coming out of a tub, pre shaved as it were.

You also need a spicy potato accompaniment IMO, our usual doesnt do them but the chip shop over the road does, so we offer the dude on the phone an extra fiver to nip over and add them to the order before the delivery feller gets given it :lol:

I like it. A lot.

I went to a traditional turkish restaurant once and they serve doner meat with like a savoury tomato sauce there.

One day I'm going to make my own doner meat and my own tzatziki.

I loved the mixed grills in Cyprus. With fresh pita and tzatziki.

I should also add... my local kebab man came to my wedding (we became friends over the years!). When i was chatting with my mates that i used to go out with they were like 'Is that the guy from cheshire fast food? Why's he at your wedding?' :lol: Good guy.

He also does a wicked tandoori doner meat... but only for mates. :stir:

• Like 2

I should also add... my local kebab man came to my wedding (we became friends over the years!). When i was chatting with my mates that i used to go out with they were like 'Is that the guy from cheshire fast food? Why's he at your wedding?' :lol: Good

He also does a wicked tandoori doner meat... but only for mates. :stir:

That is legendary!

You win hands down as the most dedicated kebab lover :lol:

GAME OVER FOR THE REST OF US

• Like 1

Never had one!

U WOT M8?!

Lol. Tonight it is your mission to score tge tastiest doner in your area.

Never had one!

U WOT M8?!

I've just got home from a 16 hour day at work and about to fall asleep in curry-flavoured pot noodle.....does that count? 'Bout all I'm good for just now lol

Never had one!

U WOT M8?!

Never had one!

U WOT M8?!

I've just got home from a 16 hour day at work and about to fall asleep in curry-flavoured pot noodle.....does that count? 'Bout all I'm good for just now lol

Forget the pot noodle! Get yourself of to bed!

Thanks TT350 (aka Dad)....but pretty wired day & needed a bit of 'wind down' time before I hit the sack. Just got Tomb Raider (Xbox One), so that helped :)

Ok, this kebab thread is pretty interesting. So, I've never felt the need to replenish my alcohol-fuelled body with a kebab before but reading through your posts, Reading does seem like the place to be for a good one! Just not convinced yet......

Probably should admit that I am also a Big Mac virgin.....along with many other fast food establishment's finest quality goods (Wimpy, KFC, BK)!