Hidden Gem Movies that are Worth a Watch?

allaboutthepasty

I quite enjoyed "The raid" recently. Jap subtitled gory fight film. Quite cool

It's actually Indonesian, a cracking film though, it really catches you by surprise just how intense it is and you are shattered by the end of it just keeping up with the non-stop action. In a similar vein, Ip Man is brilliant and based on the true story of the Chinese guy who survived WWII and eventually became the guy who trained Bruce Lee, that scene where he steps into the room and challenges ten Japanese martial artists in one hit is just amazing.

On a side note if you You Tube Bruce Lee you see some of the stuff he was capable of is quite scary. Being able to punch someone backwards ten feet by just hitting the person with two fingers holding his hand six inches from them. Mind blowing. Interesting fact as well, if you watch very closely on Enter the Dragon where Bruce Lee drops into the underground lair and is discovered and attacked by a mob of people, at one point he has his back to a room and is attacked by multiple guards, one guard goes at him and get felled with some sticks which clip him in the face (for real) the extra playing that guard was non other than Jackie Chan. He still claims it to be his best movie moment being floored by Bruce Lee as an extra :lol:

I quite enjoyed "The raid" recently. Jap subtitled gory fight film. Quite cool

It's actually Indonesian, a cracking film though, it really catches you by surprise just how intense it is and you are shattered by the end of it just keeping up with the non-stop action. In a similar vein, Ip Man is brilliant and based on the true story of the Chinese guy who survived WWII and eventually became the guy who trained Bruce Lee, that scene where he steps into the room and challenges ten Japanese martial artists in one hit is just amazing.

On a side note if you You Tube Bruce Lee you see some of the stuff he was capable of is quite scary. Being able to punch someone backwards ten feet by just hitting the person with two fingers holding his hand six inches from them. Mind blowing. Interesting fact as well, if you watch very closely on Enter the Dragon where Bruce Lee drops into the underground lair and is discovered and attacked by a mob of people, at one point he has his back to a room and is attacked by multiple guards, one guard goes at him and get felled with some sticks which clip him in the face (for real) the extra playing that guard was non other than Jackie Chan. He still claims it to be his best movie moment being floored by Bruce Lee as an extra :lol:

Ha thanks. Geography was never my strong point. Also I watched the second one not the 1st lol. Still, awesome film

I Love films. Three great ones off the top of my head.....

The Hunt

Masterful Danish film about a teacher accused of abusing one of his pupils. Kind of film you're still thinking about for a long time afterwards....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1588170/

The Old Dark House.

Brilliantly atmospheric, but also very funny, early (1932) horror film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023293/

I Saw The Devil.

Downright creepy serial killer film from Korea.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1588170/

Asian cinema has some classics. Ichi The Killer is completely mental. Presumably everyone has seen Battle Royale before it was ripped off and became the The Hunger (for an original story) Games? The Park Chan-Wook trilogy is really good, Sympathy For Mr Vengeance, Oldboy (not the american one) and Lady Vengeance.

Also whoever said Das Boot.... You need to watch the TV series as that is just superb... Building tension like you wouldn't believe.

:thumbs: I only ever watch the 15 hour version, I grow submariner's beard first, get one of those white jumpers they wear, turn off all the lights and watch it in the bath with a dripping tap for atmosphere :lol:

• Like 2

Dead Man's Shoes is absolutely brilliant Chris, great shout :thumbs:

Swingers is a favourite too. When I was in LA I had to go to two places, In-N-Out due to The Big Lebowski and The Dresden from Swingers (also did Mulholland Drive on the movie tour).

"This place is dead anyway."

Awesome!! I'd love to go. Great quote too :lol:

Anyway, for tonight I'm going to try one suggested by marzman, Warrior, although there's plenty here to check out. Sure it'll beat X Factor!

Good choice - you wont be disappointed. :thumbs:

Enjoyed that one. Also kept the girlfriend quiet for a couple of hours so can't have been bad...

Ooo great Topic

I'm putting a few that some of the you get members may not have seen as well not necessarily blockbusters but we're well known at the time

Zvarte Bok (Black Book). Dutch Resistance WW2 movies subtitles but totally compelling

Million Dollar Arm. Disney Baseball film about scouting for pitchers in India. Very funny and true story

The Package. Gene Hackman and very early Tommy Lee Jones

Remo. Unarmed and Dangerous. Was supposed to be a franchise but didn't make it but now recognised as a bit cult

The Jerk. Steve Martins breakout movie

The Odd Angry Shot. Aussie movie about their boys in Vietnam War. A bit different to the usual US stuff.

Papillon. Classic Steve McQueen Dustin Hoffman

Edited by Mudman

Stumbled on a couple of Gems whilst sprawling through Netflix one evening,

Blitz - Jason Statham, his acting isn't always the best, but this was actually a pretty gritty film about a london police detective.

Sinister - Horror with Ethan Hawke, the second one has just been advertised everywhere. But I'd never even heard of the first one, but me and my missus found it and thought it was very good!

Warrior - another vote....

Gattaca

Car stuff:-

Le Mans - Steve McQueen - no talking for first 10 minutes just the sound of race cars!!!

Gumball

Cannonball

Warrior seems to be a fan favourite here, and rightly so!

Gattaca was an incredible film and was recently available on NowTV. Well worth a punt.

I like the way the topic suggests hidden gems and people are suggesting Cohen brother’s films…

If you want to mix comedy and cars I’d suggest the French film series Taxi (not the American remake!)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0152930/

The Spanish film Timecrimes (Los Cronocrímenes) is also great – but it’s the kind of film that’s best watched without knowing anything about it. You can’t describe it without giving away the basis of the plot.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480669

I like the way the topic suggests hidden gems and people are suggesting Cohen brother’s films…

But that's the nature of recommending films to a person you have no idea of their viewing history. In my office the chap sat next to me asked what's a good film to watch, ask if they've seen Four Lions, a mainstream movie, but he's not, so it's a winner. On the other hand, if I talk to my boss about the same thing, he regularly mentions films like Amores Perros or Jamon Jamon, so you know that you've got to try and dig a bit deeper.

There's no point recommending Rubber to someone who exclusively watches Marvel churn :shrug: