Another Cyclists Rant !

ianphampton

Not sure why eveyone is getting worked up about overtaking cyclist, on my daily commute on my pedal bike during rush hour I overtake far more cars than have cars overtake me!!

I find driving to work through city traffic the worst kind of driving you can do. On days when I have to take the car due to going to multiple meetings it takes me a good 35-40 minutes to crawl through 4-5 miles of basically stationary traffic. On my pedal bike I can do trip in 15 minutes and have no worries about parking.

I also don't like cyclist who run red lights, if I see them run a red light they become my target to catch and pass :)

As for riding on the pavement, I've personally never done it. But understand why people do, if your new to cycling having share a piece of tarmac with something as big as a double decker bus or lorry is quite intimidating....But UK roads are actually OK for cyclists, in 10 years + of cycling on the road I've been run over twice, second time was quite good fun going flying across the bonnet of a car :)

Edited by gangzoom

Not sure why eveyone is getting worked up about overtaking cyclist, on my daily commute on my pedal bike during rush hour I overtake far more cars than have cars overtake me!!

I find driving to work through city traffic the worst kind of driving you can do. On days when I have to take the car due to going to multiple meetings it takes me a good 35-40 minutes to crawl through 4-5 miles of basically stationary traffic. On my pedal bike I can do trip in 15 minutes and have no worries about parking.

I also don't like cyclist who run red lights, if I see them run a red light they become my target to catch and pass :)

I think you mean undertake for cyclists passing vehicles :stir:

11855709_10155987870880061_6441109651139648679_n.jpg?oh=8743479289841183db46532b2f703a96&oe=5675767F

If you're a driver who believes a close pass on a cyclist 'safe' why not try walking between the yellow & white line while a train is passing?

so do we never pass cyclist 2 a breast then as that all the room you could give around my way,

its funny how its always cars dont give enough room but cyclist dont give an even amount of room for a car to pass

Edited by StevoD

how about when they cycle two a breast surly passing the outside bike is no different to passing a single closly

bike1.png

This is shown in the video

i did it said you should go in the other lane well the distant from the outside rider would be the same is you only cut half the lane to pass a single how is it ok in one instant and not the other?

I think 1:41 onwards in the video

Here is the HC extract, I haven't looked at the mentioned rules, probably worth taking a look

• give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211 to 213) and 214 to 215).

hc_rule_163_give_vulnerable_road_users_at_least_as_much_space_as_you_would_a_car.jpg

right well when you overtake a car there is less space than whats been given in that image

prove to me in that image that two cars would fit down that road with 6 feet between them as i cant see it

If i drive with this much distance (estimate 2 feet between objects) between me and cyclist you would get ridiculed

dangerous-overtaking-300x230.jpg

Edited by StevoD

I think you mean undertake for cyclists passing vehicles :stir:

Actually I mean 'overtake', my commuter bike it geared to hit about 25 mph. That's more than fast enough to overtake cars crawling around at 10-15 mph :p

• Like 1

right well when you overtake a car there is less space than whats been given in that image

prove to me in that image that two cars would fit down that road with 6 feet between them as i cant see it

If i drive with this much distance (estimate 2 feet between objects) between me and cyclist you would get ridiculed

dangerous-overtaking-300x230.jpg

I see what you're getting at now, and the confusion.

The issue isn't the exact distance you should give a cyclist, the issue is that you should pass one like you'd pass a car, i.e. on the other side of the road.

lmfao

because the space used by a car makes so much sense.

if the rules were applied now about the uselessness and burden caused about what we know a car would never pass environmental checks.

i like in the diagrams how it shows how fat a car driver is but he still wants more and feels inconvenienced and tries to argue pedantics.

as well as the non argument that a cyclist holds up a car progression, of course there's no -10mph limit driver ahead.

happy travels!

lmfao

if the rules were applied now about the uselessness and burden caused about what we know a car would never pass environmental checks.

i like in the diagrams how it shows how fat a car driver is but he still wants more and feels inconvenienced and tries to argue pedantics.

as well as the non argument that a cyclist holds up a car progression, of course there's no -10mph limit driver ahead.

happy travels!

Me no understand post ^

• Like 2

lmfao

happy travels!

Me no understand post ^

I think it means, cyclists came first and are non polluting.

If I am right, I wasnt aware the road transport network was designed for cyclists :)

• Like 1

All this blether about how much space is right or wrong when overtaking - really - who cares what the regulations say, if you can't use common sense and need a booklet to tell you what to do then you shouldn't be driving.

Bottom line is that driving a car in a straight line is easy, you are unlikely to make a sudden 45 degree move 2 feet to the right because of a pothole, rock, coke can, drain or you sneezed when someone is overtaking you. Neither will the back-draft from someone passing close by unsettle you so much that you might do that 45 degree veer to the right for the next likely over-taker.

Its not cyclists and car drivers, its human beings with lives and loved ones. People might behave like d*cks but that doesn't make them evil or deserving of injury. Always remember its a real person and if you as the responsible driver can't give them a safe distance when overtaking then wait until you can and suck it up, you won't get physically hurt if you make a misjudgement but they might and a court and the rest of their family won't care about your petulant 'they didn't give me much room to overtake so actually it was their fault', excuse.

I drive in the Lake district all the time and it can send you mental with cyclists on small and windy roads. But no matter how annoying it is and how righteous and pig-headed some of them are I don't want to cripple or kill one so you just have to accept that you wait until its safe to overtake and that's that.

• Like 3

People might behave like d*cks but that doesn't make them evil or deserving of injury.

Except people who don't indicate on roundabouts though, right?

Well yes if you mean people who wander across lanes on roundabouts, obvs.

driver vs driver is fair game and I'm not going to pontificate about that as we both have metal shells.

Ranting is fun and a necessary release, it just got a bit daft with the how much room debate.

Edited by Toon Chris

BMW drivers as a whole, you mean? :stir:

I always thought they indicators were an optional extra on Beemers and people just went for a horn upgrade instead :lol:

I hate BMW drivers as much as anyone, but I wouldn't call them out over indicators because women in any car are the worst at it, they seem incapable of acknowledging anyone else on the road and showing courtesy towards them.

BMW drivers as a whole, you mean? :stir:

I always thought they indicators were an optional extra on Beemers and people just went for a horn upgrade instead :lol:

I thought these days they are just going for the extra bright day time fog lights and 'get out of my way, don't know you how important I am' head light flashing option :)

Edited by gangzoom

Here's one for the Highway Code lovers.

http://gu.com/p/4bnyx?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Police seek man who pushed cyclist into path of London traffic

A male pedestrian who was filmed pushing a female cyclist into the path of London traffic is being sought by police.

The woman, who was wearing a helmet camera that filmed the incident, asked the man not to cross the road until she had cycled past. He is heard shouting and swearing at the cyclist, who is in her early 40s, as he chased her down Sidney Street in Whitechapel, east London.

As she slowed down near a junction, the man, who is believed to be in his 40s and was wearing dark clothing, approached the cyclist, called her a “mug” and shoved her to the ground. She let out a cry and sounded distressed and injured.

The woman, who was upset by the assault but did not need medical treatment, moved herself and her bike to safety. She contacted police and handed over footage of the incident, which occurred on 1 May. The Met has released the video to help find the man.

Anyone who can identify the man is asked to contact police on 101, quoting images 180410 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111

OBVIOUSLY, shoving people into traffic is not acceptable. DQ - can a cyclist suggest a pedestrian shouldn't cross the road as they barreling through on a PB?

Edited by SuperStu