Two Britons killed on the Grossglockner Pass, Austria

Bockaaarck

But a nice flat piece of road somewhere is still a ridiculous place to do 125mph unless its on an autobahn or a race track?

Why? In real terms what the difference between an empty motorway and the Kemmel straight? Except the motorway is wider, of course.

This "speed kills" stuff is bullshit, inattentive driving kills people. That includes speed when the conditions arent right for it, but if it was just "speed" that killed why dont we see more casualties on trackdays? God forbid anyone tells airline pilots or train drivers as well ......... :lol:

Maybe Im cut from a different cloth but I dont get this holier than though attitude to going faster than 70mph, you can be safe no matter what speed you are doing if youre aware and alert to the conditions.

Anyone that thinks they are truly 'in control' of the situation when doing 125mph on public roads empty or otherwise is living in a dream world and will wake up, or not, the minute something out of their control happens and they kill someone or themselves. You are never in control whilst other variables are there, so its an empty road of three lanes you are going at 120mph and a bird hits your screen, I guarantee it wont be a hollywood movie moment where you shout 'woah' then turn on your wipers as some sort of joke - you will most likely end up on an embankment somewhere with a written off car with hopefully your life intact.

70mph is arbitary, who says its safe, I dont know. But I do know that once you are up at speeds of 125mph any incident is 99% likely to be catastrophic vs doing 50mph on the same road.

• Like 2

Well not really, as the environment is set up for it. There are rules in place, the speed is expected, there are crash barriers etc.

Tanking along the motorway on a slight bend at 125mph then finding a car joining for the left on a slip road where the exit might be slightly obscured by trees/embankment is a whole different ball game.

I get what you are saying, a really good driver could easily drive at 125mph on motorways no problem, most people are not top drawer drivers though and being self critical who am I to self-evaluate if I am good enough and that the conditions are safe enough when going at that sort of speed? Given I would be risking someone elses life on that basis? The road conditions would change every second and could change dramatically, I know I couldnt dodge a pothole at 100mph+ or an animal darting across the road etc.

Well not really, as the environment is set up for it. There are rules in place, the speed is expected, there are crash barriers etc.

Well, I don't want to be that person, but what's the difference between an empty motorway and an empty autobahn? What makes it safe to do 125mph on one but not on the other?

I'm pretty well known for sticking strictly to the speed limits these days in places where there exists an obvious danger to others or where it's likely you're going to get caught, so I'm not saying it's fine to go hooning at any old speed. I'll jump quickly on anyone who gets caught speeding because it's pretty easy to avoid ever getting caught, but neither do I for one second believe that anything over X mph is dangerous.

Depends on the car, the driver and the conditions too. I'd trust myself to do 100mph on a quiet motorway in a 350 all day long if it were dry, but put Doris in a Lambo doing that speed in the wet and clearly that's not good.

Actually, I've driven at speeds well in excess of 100mph on mountainous roads with no or little barriers plenty of times, on the Isle Of Man. I forgot about that! Sure, there were risks, but I was only ever at 8/10ths max just in case. If I'd had a blow-out then I'd be dead, but that would be the same at 70 on the M25.

No, a motorway is exactly the same as a racetrack, some might say safer as visibility is generally better. I dont know if youve noticed but "slightly obscured" junctions tend to have bloody great big blue signs up 2 miles before them, if you dont notice that then you arent paying attention ......... ;)

Ive had a bird hit my screen at 120, apart from the RVM ending up on the rear parcel shelf it was no worse than stone flicking up. Likewise, hitting a deer at 70mph is going to be just as bad as 120 (particularly if youre on a bike) :lol:

The one thing I will agree with is that you have less time to react, and the potential for carnage is much higher, but theres no greater risk in the first place IF you are driving attentively.

My logic is that Ive done 170+ on autobahns and racetracks and Im comfortable controlling a car thats travelling at that speed. This doesnt mean Im going to start smashing past traffic at twice the speed limit, or using the full width of a blind bend, but it also doesnt mean that as soon as I leave the track limits Im unsafe at anything over 70, and I dont really appreciate people telling me otherwise.

Well again I can only make observations of the autobahn but I remember reading that you are twice as likely to have an accident on an autobahn vs a limited speed motorway in germany and the severity of the accident is likely to be higher with a higher % chance of fatality. This is debated regularly in Germany but nothing has been passed through.

My point is that speed increases the likelihood of a catastrophic accident, and disagree that people are truly in control of the entire situation when driving at very high speed. Just my point of view.

• Like 1

My point is that speed increases the likelihood of a catastrophic accident, and disagree that people are truly in control of the entire situation when driving at very high speed.

I don't think anyone can sensibly argue otherwise, both valid points. That's what makes high speed exhilarating though!

• Like 1

My point is that speed increases the likelihood of a catastrophic accident, and disagree that people are truly in control of the entire situation when driving at very high speed.

I don't think anyone can sensibly argue otherwise, both valid points. That's what makes high speed exhilarating though!

Actually I am scared of driving fast and know I am not a great driver which is why I spend money on making my car pretty not fast :lol:

Http//http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/593579/Selfies-motorists-driving-phones?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+daily-express-cars-news+%28Daily+Express+::+Cars+Feed%29www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/593579/Selfies-motorists-driving-phones?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+daily-express-cars-news+%28Daily+Express+::+Cars+Feed%29

Things like this scare the bejesus out of me on our roads at slower speeds.

Edited by 350zroadsterGT