0-60 world record- by an EV

LRF4N

That's quick, but am sure it'll get quicker, let's wait see what happens in a few years time when EVs continue to develop. Though by the time you get to 1.5 seconds G forces will really start to come into play!!

I think sub 2.5 second 0-60 times will become accessible on quite a few road going mass produced EVs, rather than just a handful of supercars. There will than be some horrendous crashes, and a new 'temporary' law will be passed to enforce a minimal limit for 0-60 time, we'll than spend the next 50 years arguing about why the law is pointless when it's 3 am and your on empty dual carriage way :)

Edited by gangzoom

Yea, it'll get to 60 bloody quick but 50 miles down the road you've got an 8 hr charge to look forward to, the zed may be slower off the blocks but I can go 300+ miles and in 3-4 minutes be paying for fuel and continuing my journey. Pan European road trips are a distant goal for any performance EV's, unless you want to take couple of months off work...even then what fun would it be without the great sound of your v6/v8 (whatever) in the mountains and tunnels... :lol:

Yea, it'll get to 60 bloody quick but 50 miles down the road you've got an 8 hr charge to look forward to, the zed may be slower off the blocks but I can go 300+ miles and in 3-4 minutes be paying for fuel and continuing my journey. Pan European road trips are a distant goal for any performance EV's, unless you want to take couple of months off work...even then what fun would it be without the great sound of your v6/v8 (whatever) in the mountains and tunnels... :lol:

The current Model S is already at close to 300 miles of range, with Supercharges been able to deliver 80% charge in about 30 minutes - Time needed for brake/food. It's likely the battery capacity is going to go up 5-10% per year for the same cost, so come 2017 a 100kWh battery pack will be the same cost at the current 85kWh pack - which even at a relative un-efficent 3.3 miles per kWh translates to a range of well over 300 miles....Which is more than what my 335i could manage on £70+ of unleaded in day to day use.

It takes a bit more planning to an European tour , but actually not that hard with Tesla Supercharges...oh and there are NO fuel costs.

Looking at the number of Superchargers planned for Europe by the end of 2015, I could easily repeat the pan-european road trip I did last summer in the BMW in a Tesla Model S next summer without any issues, and with the added advantage of no fuel costs.

19979995656_9d48336040_c.jpg

But sadly due to been a pleb I cannot justify spending £50K on a car when I already have a perfectly good car on lease/interest free PCP, so need to wait till end 2016 before I can order anything like a Tesla for delivery in early 2017. But once we do get hold of a car that can access the Tesla Supercharger network, the holiday for 2017 is already planned, blast to Norway, and than spend a week or so exploring the Atlantic highway....Cannot wait :D

16681574033_5691a508a1_c.jpg

Slightly tempted to do commit some finical suicide by ordering a Model S now anyways and just leave the Leaf parked up on the driveway, but that really wouldn't do down well with the wife. Still no harm in waiting till at least early 2016, when Tesla announce some details the up and coming model 3.....

Edited by gangzoom

Before you set off for Norway, on my recent road trip I couldn't move for EVs around the cities, but they dried up pretty quick after Bergen and further north. In one place up North on the border between Norway/Sweden, I asked a local (at a petrol station ironically) for the nearest cash point, it was nearly a 4 hour round trip. I bet they have more cash points than superchargers :lol:

I was originally going to go a Model 3 to replace the Leaf, but actually its likely because Tesla is trying to lower the price of entry on the Model 3, it's not going to have a battery any where near the size of the Model S, so for me, a 100 kWh Model S will be pretty much perfect, I suspect by 2017 a 100kWh Model S will on-sale for the same price as the current 85 kWh model.

Assuming 100 kWh of battery will get you an extra 10-15% more range than the 85 kWh, even in cold conditions, and driving at 70mph, the real life range should be easily more than 200 miles.

19385900073_7da0b3c6c2_c.jpg

Looking at the Supercharging network in Norway they are pretty much spaced out at 250km apart, with a few with-in 150Km of each other. Which you will be cover comfortably in a 100kWh Model S with no issues. This is more than enough range for our holiday needs.

In 4 years of owing the BMW, the only time I fuelled it up at a service station was on the European road trip. Our daily use of the car is the odd 100-150 mile trip to see the parents, which even the current 70 kWh Model S can cover non-stop - and once we get to the destination, simply plug it-in overnight, and when we are ready for the return trip, we wouldn't even have to go and find a local petrol station. I've already now covered over 2000 miles in the Leaf with its 70 mile range battery - and no access to any Tesla supercharger, haven't had any problems with 'range anxiety' or running out of charge yet, so I'm sure a Model S with nearly three times the range of the Leaf will do me fine :D

19384195504_d24570d89b_c.jpg

20012064331_eb6a3e93a0_c.jpg

19818753958_fcb7eabfe1_c.jpg

Edited by gangzoom

Mate, I'm just letting you know what I saw the locals do in a country that is probably even keener on EVs than you are, and they don't bother in the countryside, make of that what you will :shrug:

I have literally never driven anywhere else where the road just stops, with no warning, and turns into a 10 foot wall of snow and you have a 5 hr detour.

Ah, you posted just as I did.

200mi driving at 70mph? Sod that. Few squirts and you know that's the wrong side of 150mi, I could beat that in the 645 pretty much nailing it everywhere! :lol:

Yes but your having to put up with having an internal combustion engine :lol:

Stuff

Yet again, promises of what will be (possibly, perhaps, if the tech develops that way and is actually brought to market) at theoretical price points which theoretical permanence claims.

Try and do that Euro journey NOW and see how long it'll take you. It might not cost you a penny in fuel (I have no idea if Europe offers free charge points at all, let alone how common they are there) but it'll cost you a hell of a lot more in lost work days!