So as some of you maybe aware I finally got a sensible car on the 31st of august ready for taking the kids too nursery. Got myself a very practical XC90. it had a couple of known issues like satnav not working which I knew about. And some issues I didn't find until I bought it.
Drove it home and filled it up to find the fuel gauge was dead, and not low on fuel like the dealer said. Also found the rear wiper and squirted dead and central locking only on front 2 doors. Not impressed so following weekend went back and mentioned it to dealer who basically didn't want to know, said I had bought sold as seen.
Got the old trusty multimeter out and tested the battery and found it had 2 dead cells. Bought a new battery and it cured all issues. Feeling rather smug with myself thought that was the end of the issues. And for the sake of a decent battery got the problem solved without having to deal with the dealer again.
Well a week later and the first rain in ages I drove home and picked the kids up. Stopped loaded the family up came to leave and all electrics dead. And when I say all I mean all. Dials, centre console lights windows everything. Thankfully the engine still turned over and I was able to drive the last mile home, all be it without lights, indicators a working Speedo etc etc.
Checked the car over that evening, and noticed wet carpets. Re checked a couple of known leak points that I'd checked on purchase. All seemed dry. So parked up and left it on the drive till the weekend. Booked it in with Volvo and knew that I had warranty cover. Did some research and it seemed there were electrics under the carpet that linked with the issue.
Started up on the Saturday, everything sprung back into life, but with warning lights and message on the dash. Dropped off at Volvo and checked battery which was still fine. Rang and booked work with warranty company and informed the selling garage. Told them the diagnosis fee. Which they then promptly refused to pay, but I should let them know and they might help after that. Bloody marvellous.
Volvo at this point didn't touch it for 2 weeks but did help with pointing out my rights under the sale of goods act. Sent several emails which the selling garage did not reply too. Finally rang them and told them I was bringing the car back. They then promptly shut early when I was due to arrive back. Went back on the Saturday, where surprisingly the boss was away. And then got cornered by 3 blokes. Stood my ground, explained my position and what I knew regarding my legal rights. Left them a copy of all 3 emails, the Volvo report and a bill from Volvo and for the rental car I ended up having to hire for the 2nd week so I could get to work. And the threat of legal action.
Volvo when they plugged the obd in found 44 fault codes and said the vehicle was completely dead when they came to move it. But when I collected it all was working fine.
Left and funnily enough 20 min later I had a very apologetic call from the boss, saying it was the first he knew, and if I'd spoken earlier he'd have sorted it all out. Re booked to return the car to be repaired or refunded plus expenses.
He is now fixing the car. It went to a specialist to find the leak, turned out to be gushing in from under the windscreen where the drains were blocked it had then found its way into the bulk heads and directly into a junction box.
They have now drained the car of a lot of water, and I mean a lot... like gallons. They've dried it out and cleaned it. And its off to an electrical specialist to check the electrics on Monday.
What's frustrated me is the agro and stress I've had to go through to get to this point. I've never dealt with such a slippery dealership. Where I've had to really stand my ground. And go through slot of stress when really with twins and a stressful job I could have done without. Thank goodness for helpful colleagues and an understanding wife.
Still got to sort out a reimbursement of costs and I'm taking it straight back to Volvo for them to re check the codes.
Just had to vent, have been dealing with all this and is partly why I've been quiet for a few weeks.