Whats wrong with the paint?????

Chris Wiltshire

I can see what you mean, its thin paint on 350s, so either you need to take it to somewhere that does Paint Correction or get a respray.

Has that area been repaired or resprayed before?

I can see that feint tide line , Looks like it's gone through the lacquer or been blended in at some point.

Edit; as stu has outlined! :lol:

Edited by ZEUS

Are you referring to the arc-like line travelling horizontally in the last picture? If so, it could be a couple of things, mostly nothing to worry about. ;)

You've not mentioned anything about decontamination, have you used an iron remover or clayed the car in the last 6 months?

ETA; Curse my slow typage.

Edited by ilogikal1

Thanks guys,

That outline shows the bad part. Arc type shape.

I first noticed a patch on the passenger rear wheel arch about 2 months ago and now i've just noticed this patch thats on the drivers side going most of the length.

I'm 99% sure this wasn't there 1-2 weeks ago as I really inspect the paint after washes. (bloody car parks)

Owned the car since December so not sure if its had any paint correction before but the paintwork is flawless until this :(

It looks like a massive birth patch on half the car :O

IMAG2793_zpsarzcziwr.jpg

IMAG2792_zpssj6gjstp.jpg

Looks way too haphazard to be a bad respray to me (although I won't rule that out entirely just yet...).

I'm assuming the weather where you are has been hot and dry (until you washed it!) for the last few days? Any rain? Im assuming this is shortly after you have washed it? Where was the sun/shade on the car whilst you were washing it?

I'll be back with more questions when you think you're done with these. :lol:

I'm agreeing that looks like a paint job with some sort of reaction in the paint.

You can see a lacquer reaction in the paint on the first of your second lot of pictures near to the reflation of the camera.

Failing that it could be a product reaction but I've never known meguairs and dodo to react. I learned (at a training session.....not on a customers car!) the other day that using products from different manufacturers can cause 'gassing' which is where they will react with one another causing anomalies in the finish

Paint depth gauge on the door will tell you......Nissan paint is like a gnats foreskin.....anything over 120microns on a 350 door would potentially be a respray I'd say.

• Like 1

Looks way too haphazard to be a bad respray to me (although I won't rule that out entirely just yet...).

I'm assuming the weather where you are has been hot and dry (until you washed it!) for the last few days? Any rain? Im assuming this is shortly after you have washed it? Where was the sun/shade on the car whilst you were washing it?

I totally agree with the haphazard, I don't think that's a blend line. Blending is done to a line......if that's a blend blind pew did it. More likely an area where the paint went on thick and wasn't flatted out enough.

Machine polished with bodyshop compounds like G3 and Ultrafina.....chock full of fillers which wash out after a time

• Like 1

Weather has been fairly hot here, I usually wash the car on a Saturday in the afternoon when the sun isn't too hot but this week its been hot so i'ved washed it this evening while the sun has gone.

We did have 2 days (tuesday and yesterday) of hot weather around 27 here. Car is parked in the sun on the but the drivers side isn't usually in direct sun light.

Has definitely appeared pretty fast as I washed the car last Saturday and this wasn't there :S

I totally agree with the haphazard, I don't think that's a blend line. Blending is done to a line......if that's a blend blind pew did it. More likely an area where the paint went on thick and wasn't flatted out enough.

Machine polished with bodyshop compounds like G3 and Ultrafina.....chock full of fillers which wash out after a time

Good point, I hadn't though of it that way. Taking a closer look at that reaction you spotted, you could well be right, I'd just overlooked that to be bird lime etching or something. I'm also viewing on my phone currently and a whole load of other bad excuses... :lol:

Still interested to see at what point my (wrong) theory holds water (pardon the pun) though, if the OP could indulge me - but Ricey's probably right.

Weather has been fairly hot here, I usually wash the car on a Saturday in the afternoon when the sun isn't too hot but this week its been hot so i'ved washed it this evening while the sun has gone.

We did have 2 days (tuesday and yesterday) of hot weather around 27 here. Car is parked in the sun on the but the drivers side isn't usually in direct sun light.

Has definitely appeared pretty fast as I washed the car last Saturday and this wasn't there :S

My theory is/was that the lacquer is just retaining moisture in the pores on one side of the tide mark - if the area above the mark was considerably warmer than the area under it, it could simply be that the upper portion has dried out fully, if that side wasn't in the sun that would support my thinking. I may be grasping at straws here, but dark patches in paint can be/have been/will be caused by this.

If I am right, it'll go away on its own so check it again tomorrow. If it doesn't go away, get a paint depth reading as per Ricey's post.

Just had another closer look at the paint and if looked at closely there seems to be a type of oily blue looking outline around the edges of the imperfections.

Surfaces is completely smooth.

Will upload a photo of the other side when my google mail finally loads

I do have a slightly more catastrophic theory that the paint (if not painted) has been polished to death and its taken it beyind the UV protection (I.e its not far from going into clearcoat failure) and the base coat is now becoming discoloured.

Basically mate we're doing the equivalent of being internet mechanics diagnosing without seeing.

A visual inspection and a PTG reading is whats needed.

Where are you based?

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

That would make sense too with the amount of sun thats been down this way lately and the paint only recently appearing like it. Hopefully it hasn't had paint before as surely that would probably mean that the car has had some damaged before resulting in new paint on both sides. yikes.

If its going into clear coat failure would this require a respray?

Appreciate your help mate as well as the other members, gives me some insight on the possible causes etc.

I'm based in South Wales.

Could be as innocent as keying damage though.

The paint looks like it has a lacquer defect but then looks flat as a pancake everywhere else which would suggest no paint or a proper well finished job......which doesnt tie in with them leaving a lacquer defect in there.

Too far away for me to help in person pal but find a good local detailer with a PTG and get the depths checked (dont buy a cheap ebay kob....theyre crap).

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk