Whats wrong with the paint?????

Chris Wiltshire

It looks like some smart repair has been done to it. Someone didn't paint the whole panel, what you can see it's the edge between oryginal paint and that "fresh" paint.

You can machine polish it with really fine compound to make it a little bit better or repaint the whole panel to make it perfect...

It looks like some smart repair has been done to it. Someone didn't paint the whole panel, what you can see it's the edge between oryginal paint and that "fresh" paint.

You can machine polish it with really fine compound to make it a little bit better or repaint the whole panel to make it perfect...

Thing is though

A) no one in their right mind would just blend half a panel on a raggy line. You'd either flick the whole panel or blend to a line

B) no smart repairer is getting a finish with a reflection like that!

@*!#, good spotting on the tyre!!

The rear wheels must be on the wrong sides after having new discs and pads fitted. Will sort that out now.

So with the paint work, if its a case of new paint not being blended in properly I'm guessing its been covered with types of filler etc? What would I have to use or do to cover it back up again?

Thanks

@*!#, good spotting on the tyre!!

The rear wheels must be on the wrong sides after having new discs and pads fitted. Will sort that out now.

So with the paint work, if its a case of new paint not being blended in properly I'm guessing its been covered with types of filler etc? What would I have to use or do to cover it back up again?

Thanks

You could try some poorboys Blackhole. Paint guy said only permanent fix is a respray

• Like 1

A guy who runs a local body shop told me that while a blended repair might look perfect to begin with the new lacquer can degrade over time creating what he described as a "halo effect".

Edited by sipar69

A guy who runs a local body shop told me that while a blended repair might look perfect to begin with the new lacquer can degrade over time creating what he described as a "halo effect".

Word for word what my guy said.

Also I know for a fact that bodyshop compounds are rammed full of fillers but that would get evident far quicker than the OP has observed.

• Like 1

Sorry if this has been covered already.

That looks very much like a blend line. Its where a paint shop hasn't painted the whole panel and stopped. The edge where the colour or lacquer finishes is dissolved with a blending thinner. Later its polished and the edge disappears. Problem is, home polishing/waxing can pick the edge up again. A bodyshop may be able to machine polish this away again but it doesn't' always work.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Mrs 2007 Roadster detailed last week. Detailer measured paint thickness and confirmed it was even all round so hopefully original factory paint, but lacquer was so thin he could only do a 1st stage polish for fear of going through the lacquer.

Got my Mrs 2007 Roadster detailed last week. Detailer measured paint thickness and confirmed it was even all round so hopefully original factory paint, but lacquer was so thin he could only do a 1st stage polish for fear of going through the lacquer.

Sounds about right for a 350. Like a gnats eyelid the paint is.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

yeah problem is future paint correction is ruled out as their is not enough to work with. Only option is keeping as much wax protection on as possible

Or to go for a semi-permanent coating instead of wax (or even under wax, if you feel like wasting product...).

Or a respray, of course. :teeth:

Have since tried some poor boys black hole on the paint and it does hide a lot of it but it doesn't last long.

Wouldn't mind having a full wrap in battleship grey with black trim, roof etc but I also like the Kuro black.

Will most likely have the quarter panels resprayed, its just a case of finding a decent place thats near to me (Cardiff) that doesn't take 2 weeks.

Damnnnn