Help I think I've done somthing expensive

nissanman312

I started noticing a clicking noise I thought it was brakes but if I put it in gear and rock the car I get the noise .

Take it out of gear and and noise stops it from both rear wheels and sounds the same both sides .

Could the hairpins of the alps cooked my diff

Just waiting for slow bucket to display my vidio

Edited by nissanman312

just a stab in the dark (me being no way mechanical minded) but that sound like the piece of metal above/around the brakes touching something - as I say just a guess

I think powering out of hair pins chasing Evo's and Gtrs could of done it

In going on the ramp satarday so hopefully I'll be able to diognose it

Just been watching some drive shaft video on here http://www.the370z.com/nissan-370z-warranty-scheduled-maintenance-servicing-repairs/100841-rear-differential-clunk.html

Buy I think mine could be worse I'll keep you guys posted .

Remember is running more power now :(

Edited by nissanman312

I've done my best to get under it just can't see what it is

My friend runs a garage so I can get it in the air satarday and have a play

It will be the most expensive thing naturally lol

It sounds like diff but until it's in the air it's hard to tell

Overly worn out bearings tend to make a howling noise when they do not properly support the gears. Rumbling while turning, on the other hand, is a sign of bad wheel bearings. Clunking and banging noises on the corners can be due to lack of sufficient posi-traction lubrication, broken spider gears, or worn posi-traction or limited-slip clutches. Broken spider gears, moreover, can also immobilize the differential and create a loud, crunching sound during final departure. If the rear differential noise is characterized by clunking every two or three feet, then there is a great chance that a broken ring gear is the problem with the section with the broken teeth banging or grinding as it tries to engage the pinion.

Having a chipped or missing high spot on a gear tooth sounds closely similar to a broken gear except that the rear differential noise only happens while accelerating or decelerating. This is because the problem is just present on one side of the offending tooth. This rear differential noise is described as a heavy clicking type of sound which occurs every eight feet or so. If the pinion is the one that has a high spot, the noise occurs every two or three feet and is much more pronounced because of its higher frequency.

Dont fill me with hope