Tradelink... Disappointing

p34nut

Ok so as a few of you may have read earlier I was going to veiw a 350z at tradlink and thought I would share my veiws with my experience.

So I got there and it was a small place, not a bad thing at all. A couple zeds sitting out front, popped into the office and asked to have a look over the car to which I was handed the keys told he wouldn't hover over me and let me just do my thing. I haven't a problem with that as most people don't want someone breathing down their neck.

So looking over the car and found the suspected few marks in the paint, a couple chips, wheels could use a refurb, weak boot struts, the bumper didn't line up great on the drivers side and once starting up I noticed the clutch was a bit high.

Don't get me wrong the car was no heap, I was buying a used car at a used price and didn't expect showroom condition but those were the niggles we all look for so we know what we're getting into and look for our little bargain chip to negotiate the final price.

Approached the gent I first saw and asked for a test drive so he went and found someone to come with me. Myself and a young guy went on the test drive, nothing crazy just seeing how she pulls, stops, steers, goes through the gears and listen for any unusual noises. Nothing unusual there.

Got back and asked to pop in the office and look over the paperwork, sat down and had a browse and it was all falling apart on their part. It was absolutely appalling, I'm sitting there looking through and asking a couple questions and the guy that's meant to be selling the car really couldn't care less. Simple stuff like: I saw the last service was at 74k miles so said "what's the zed sitting at mile wise, 82k?" Barely pulls his phone away from his face and responds with "errr Yh I dunno, something like that"

Bare in mind my wife was with me and she's excited for me getting something I want so she was asking me how the car was, if I liked it and so on to which he had obviously overheard.

So here's the situation. A salesman has a customer sitting in front of him, knows he likes the car, also knows he has the ability to pay for the car, how much effort did he put into finalising the sale....... I don't know, how do you measure effort in regards to posting a status up on facebook.

Told them I was going to pop outside and make a phone call. Made a quick phone call and looked over the car some more. Was outside for around 30mins, I was the only person there and the only person I saw was was the bloke detailing a Range Rover so I gave up and just went home.

So to finalise, I thought the car wasn't bad and I was ready to take it if we could have worked out a deal. The thing I struggle with is I'm not going to be the buyer and the seller, it wasn't a one off car it was just a standard 350z and there's stacks of those out there.

I'm a salesman by trade and I know if you have got a product someone has to have, making them like it or want it is vital. It wouldn't have taken much effort to finalise the deal on their part.

Point being if that's the tradelink "service" I wish them luck, they will need it. I personally think it was more a case of a young guy dreaming of being in the pub on the weekend rather than doing his job. If your going to take a look down that way I hope you have a lot better luck but don't hold your breath.

Sorry to babble on but felt that needed sharing.

I'm off to spend money elsewhere

• Like 4

I find this most amusing, largely because I seem to recall that the last thread I saw about Tradelink was that the salesman was too pushy. :lol: Seems they can't win whatever they do (or don't do).

Good luck with the continued hunt.

So the bloke said he'd give you space, you went back outside to take a phone call, then never bothered going back in to actually buy the thing? That's after you said you were happy with it in your own mind and wanted to buy it, correct?

I don't get things like that. If I want something I'll make a bit of effort too. It's like expecting Tesco to drive round with a van full of food after they've seen me browsing their website.

• Like 4

This is the one main reason why i wont register on checkatrade etc, you wont please everyone all of the time, regardless of work, attitude etc Its like trying to get on with everyone on the forum, just not going to happen.

If they didnt inspire you with confidence though, thats all that matters. Keep up the search and find someone who does :)

You realize tradelnk operates on this forum right? :lol:

To be fair, it doesn't sound like a great experience but I've had waaaaay worse when buying a used car. Good luck with your search.

Yes I'm aware

So the bloke said he'd give you space, you went back outside to take a phone call, then never bothered going back in to actually buy the thing? That's after you said you were happy with it in your own mind and wanted to buy it, correct?

He said that before I took a look around the car. The look over the car, the test drive and me asking to go in the office to check out the paperwork came in between that.

As said it wasn't a bad car, I could have made it work if the deal was right. my thing was it wasn't anything I couldn't get elsewhere. I wasn't going to be the buyer and the seller and didn't see why I should have to strain effort out of the salesman to find out what I was meant to be buying

So I walked away

My missus was on the hunt for a TT and one happened to pop up on tradelink whilst we were visiting Audi in Watford. Albeit we got there a bit late in the day so weren't able to take it out for a test drive, but can safely say we did receive good service from Greg, down to the negotiations and handing over of the keys.

I guess maybe you had a not-so-good experience with them and being in sales myself as well I know how important first impressions are.

Perhaps you can still strike a deal if it's not too late and if you do like the car?

If not then there's plenty of other zeds out there like you said.

By the way whereabouts in London are you based? There's a group of us who get together occasionally and you could pop along one day :)

He said that before I took a look around the car. The look over the car, the test drive and me asking to go in the office to check out the paperwork came in between that.

As said it wasn't a bad car, I could have made it work if the deal was right. my thing was it wasn't anything I couldn't get elsewhere. I wasn't going to be the buyer and the seller and didn't see why I should have to strain effort out of the salesman to find out what I was meant to be buying

So I walked away

But you still walked out of the office take a call, then expected him to come out and find you despite the previous conversation between the pair of you about giving you space?

Sorry bud, this really is cutting your nose off to spite your face here. Your money, your choice though, of course.

• Like 1

Oh I honestly think it was just the young guy I was dealing with that soured my experience. There was a guy with a shaved head (can't remember his name) I guess he was the guy that owned the place, he seemed helpful when I first got there and to be honest if it was him I was dealing with the whole way through I would have probably worked something out.

Playing on your phone while dealing with a customer at the point of sale is a big no no though. I'm sure your the same chirag

I'm on battersea, South west London.

Will Deffo be up for meeting some other zed owners once I pick mine up :)

• Like 1

So I walked away

But you still walked out of the office take a call, then expected him to come out and find you despite the previous conversation between the pair of you about giving you space?

Sorry bud, this really is cutting your nose off to spite your face here. Your money, your choice though, of course.

The guy that offered me space wasn't the guy I was dealing with. The guy I was decided playing on his phone at the point of sale was more important than even confirming the mileage which I asked. Cutting my nose off has nothing to do with it. I just expect a little more attention and effort when I'm about to hand over 7 grand

As said it wasn't anything I couldn't get elsewhere, so elsewhere I'm going.

I'm not having a go at you ekona, but if you would accept that level of service with that kind of purchase were very different people

Right, that wasn't hugely clear.

Tbh if he'd been playing on his phone I would've walked out long before. I've told Nissan to get stuffed over the phone before with regards to attitude when I was looking at a GT-R, but then I've also accepted crap service when there's something I really want to buy because I know I can get a good deal.

Sorry to hear you didn't get a zed today.

All places will have an off moment at times and as you said there are plenty of others to look at.

If it's any consolation I had an even worse experience buying new 10 years ago.

Already had a test drive with West Way Nissan Manchester.

Decided on the colour and specced up to the max with Nismo 19s and bodykit.

Booked an appointment to sign and leave a deposit.

On arrival I'm told the salesman is a bit behind, have a seat an a coffee.

45 minutes later and nobody has spoken to me at all.

I go to the reception to complain and am told he'd popped out to take a customer out on a test drive just before I came and should be back soon!

Now for someone waiting to give you over £30k THAT WAS APPALLING!

Booked appointment with Stockport and left immediately.

Right, that wasn't hugely clear.

Tbh if he'd been playing on his phone I would've walked out long before. I've told Nissan to get stuffed over the phone before with regards to attitude when I was looking at a GT-R, but then I've also accepted crap service when there's something I really want to buy because I know I can get a good deal.

Yeah that's my fault. I was writing chunks at a time on the train home so more than likely didn't come across as well as it was in my head

All places will have an off moment at times and as you said there are plenty of others to look at.

I go to the reception to complain and am told he'd popped out to take a customer out on a test drive just before I came and should be back soon!

Not surprised bud, for 30k I wouldn't expect to wait about at all, an appointment for that kind of process should be kept no matter what. Then again I have never heard of a 45 minute test drive neither lol

I'm just booking my ticket now to go see Paul at Midwest. It's 110 miles away and is the only reason I haven't seen him sooner he's been helpful and we had been knocking up a deal on a car that I'm so far happy with.

Yes it's more money and yes it's a day and travel expense but as long as it's as it looks and been described I should be back Tuesday evening with a gleaming smile

• Like 1

Not surprised bud, for 30k I wouldn't expect to wait about at all, an appointment for that kind of process should be kept no matter what. Then again I have never heard of a 45 minute test drive neither lol

I was an hour on my test drive :shrug: salesman was quite willing :D

I was an hour on my test drive :shrug: salesman was quite willing :D

How many sets of tyres did you go through?

Haha

I've dealt with greg a few times and he is a good guy.

If you look back through my topics, one of them i completely slated tradelink. but then i got to know Greg went back and dealt with him again.

His way of dealing with customers, myself included is for you to take your time and decide yourself if you want it.

Why didnt you tell him you wanted the car and wanted to strike a deal? Im sure he's not a mind reader.

you sound like you needed him to hold your hand through the process and thats not his style.

how hard was it to look at the mileage when you sat in the car? its one of the first things i look at when i get in a car.

i say this having been a salesman for SEAT, Vauxhall and trading cars myself for the past 2/3 years.

• Like 1