350 spotted in a ditch

13DM

I'm glad he's ok, but if he was doing 120mph on a wet road with no seatbelt on, I have no sympathy. hopefully lesson learned for his next car.

I have to say im with brillomaster I am glad that he is ok and no one is hurt but driving like that imagine if someone was coming the other way as he span all over the road, no sympathy here for that sort of driving.

Ed

• Like 1

You never know, maybe not wearing the seatbelt saved him from serious injury or death... Doesn't seem like you'd get away uninjured sat in the front seat.

A very long time ago when I was a teenager the boss of the garage I was working at part-time had a head on in his soft top E-type with a Daimler Dart, combined speed in excess of 3 figures and when seat belts were not compulsory. The driver of the DD died instantly as the E-type was much more solid.......

They found my boss some distance from the impact who was thrown out, unbelievably through the windscreen, with his face mangled and various limbs and ribs broken alive, and having been taken to hospital they thought he had lost his lower jaw but in surgery found it had been pushed down in his neck. He made a recovery, but had quite severe disfigurement for the rest of his life but had he had been wearing a seat belt he would have also been dead.

Oh, and although he was prosecuted for the death of the DD driver by dangerous driving it was proven that in fact the DD driver had suddenly pulled out to overtake two cars abreast on what was then a wide stretch of straight road. That accident was one of many on that road that shortly after was made a dual carriageway.

For a long time that discouraged me from wearing seat belts before they became obligatory, but and as we have seen in historic car racing being thrown out of open cars (at least) can be a life saver. Not advocating that now, but........

For a long time that discouraged me from wearing seat belts before they became obligatory,

I rarely wore seat belts either. My first car, a Mini Van didn't even have seat belts, I think they were an option back then. Although statistically most accidents happen within a few miles of home I only wore mine if I was going long distance. Anyway, I started wearing mine a couple of months before it became law which I guess was 1981. At that time The A55 was under construction and on the very day the seat belt law came in a guy rolled his car in the road works area, like me he was an occasional seat belt wearer but on that morning he had his seat belt on which almost certainly saved him from serious injury and possibly death.

but and as we have seen in historic car racing being thrown out of open cars (at least) can be a life saver.

I know 2 people who were thrown out, one survived, he was a rear seat passenger and went through the rear window in a high speed crash into a tree (car spun around apparently), he was one of 2 survivors in that car, the other 3 were killed, none of them wore a seat belt. He was off work for almost 12 months with his injuries. The second one the driver didn't get so lucky, he lost control and hit a lampost just 200 yards away from his girlfriends house, his G/F survived as she was wearing her belt, he wasn't.

I will also own up to not wearing a crash helmet when I had my scooter, I generally only put it on when it was cold :blush:

Pete

• Like 2

I've heard plenty of stories about people whose lives were saved by not wearing their seat belt, however, these stories are all pretty old.

I think that may have something to do with cars of the time, nowadays being in the car, properly buckled up is by far and away the safest places to remain during an accident.

• Like 1

Swings and roundabouts... I ...and being honest here almost certainly would have died when I was 18. Mate passed his test thought he'd take me and another out in his mums new Saxo VTR/VTS (can't mind which one), I was in the passenger, he left the road at a hell of a speed and rolled down a ditch, my side barely missing the big metal barrier and an oncoming car. I survived as I wore a seat belt. On the other hand... two other friends crashed a Vauxhall corsa and the way it crumpled he survived by not wearing one as his body 'crumpled' into the foot well. He would not be here had he worn a seatbelt. His was unlucky, in my crash my friend was simply driving like a knob.

We did tell him to slow down but it was a bit late in coming...

Edited by AMT

I've heard plenty of stories about people whose lives were saved by not wearing their seat belt, however, these stories are all pretty old.

I think that may have something to do with cars of the time, nowadays being in the car, properly buckled up is by far and away the safest places to remain during an accident.

Indeed. And if you look at the stats of number of people saved by a seatbelt it would make the exception to the rule. I personally just don't feel safe without a seatbelt on.

Edited by wmr1980

If me and my wife were not wearing our belts at the 110mph head on impact , we wouldn't be here . I wear my seat belt .

Wise, and I suspect you are a young man who is growing up amongst cars that are designed to absorb impact with airbags as well as belts to protect us now.

Whereas when I first started driving in the mid sixties they were still building cars that were more like battering rams/armoured vehicles and hence the idea of being thrown (jumping) out, if the car hitting you was more solid than yours, kinda appealed. Coupled with not by law having to wear seat belts (few cars had them) and no speed limits on many roads together with a whole lot less vehicles on the road anyway, a 'gung ho' approach prevailed. For me nowadays it is quite amazing how vehicle technology has moved on in the past 50+ years and I find myself attracted to cars with all sorts of gizmos.

When I think back to my first car - a 1962 Mini with sliding windows, I was so proud I could afford to add a stick-on rear window demister that was about as useful as frosted glass, whereas I now have a car that includes things like race start capability, on-board computer, and over 10 times the power output that with AWD sticks the road like glue (unlike the crossply tyres on skinny wheels in the sixties), I feel very lucky to have experienced car development that has made driving not only more pleasuarble but a whole lot safer too. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Hit the limit in 4th then slapped it into 3rd by mistake, maybe? Instant wheel lock up and certain destruction.

I did this the 2nd time I ever drove my car, by accident, whilst putting the car "to the test" with my foot right the way down. I tried shifting quickly around 5000 into 5th and got 3rd (unlucky bounce off the gator!), instant spin and I was lucky not to hit anything. From that point on I call my car a "360" zed! Lesson is don't try to Vin Diesel when you change gears unless you KNOW you are gonna hit the gear!