Photography tips thread

Grundy

Okay, I don't think we have one of these,

I know there was a thread floating around a while ago with showing off photo's of anything.

This thread I'm hoping to basically get tips on how to use a camera.

For example -

Post a picture,

Followed by what settings,

What attachments you used.

This will help me out lots :lol: As I'm sure to many other too.

I'll start it off,

I've currently only been using Auto settings (I've had the camera for just over a month - my 1st DSLR - Canon 450d)

Now photo's do come out clear, however I want to improve on them. ( I don't know what lenses I have atm, when I'm home I'll update - But I have a short one :lol: for close ups, and a long one which acts like a telescope :lol: Sorry to any Photographers boffs for using terrible terminology )

I was speaking to a photographer on monday evening who advised me to use AV mode, I've now done a bit of research to learn this can control the shutter speed, which I'm looking forward to trying out soon.

I also have a few different lens filters which I need to try.

So first up - Photo a took, in the sun. Full Auto

IMG_2268_zpsbsbyieg2.jpg

Now here is another, but taken by someone else

11080643_10155456616095249_6736466874999586887_o.jpg

Now the image above seems to be more glossy, brighter, and just in general better (Imo ) :lol: - Now is this down to tweaking in photoshop with the contrast? Or settings on a camera?

My final picture is another at a sunset

IMG_2330_zpsodusabua.jpg

Now this isn't as bright as the others, now i'm 99% sure that is just down to it getting darker.

Recommendations on settings that should of been used on the shot above?

Some pictures of what I'd love to achieve...

5924101784_fe521be16d_o.jpg

350z1.jpg

10900202_843264595734175_3896359365217066288_o.jpg

So just to summarise this thread

Post a picture YOU'VE taken, with what settings/Attachments you used :)

**Mods - wasn't sure whether to have this in Off topic or Photo's, if it gains much interest, sticky it in Photo?**

• Like 1

For settings etc I use an iOS app called "photcaddy" has some excellent tips, tricks and a list of settings for quite a few different scenarios.

I also add my own notes to each category as I find what does or doesn't work.

• Like 1

I'm tied up at work just now but as soon as I get a minute I'll post some stuff up that i've learned along the way. Lots of fantastic tutorials on youtube which cover from taking a photo all the way to final editing on photoshop. What kit are you using?

• Like 1

Jump straight in and start using full manual mode - there's no excuse as we're working with digital, so you won't be wasting film!

For photos that you like the look of, you can read the EXIF data using software, it will tell you what settings were used to take the shot, as well as the camera and lens used.

Some of the photos above, if not all, have been processed in some way, most likely using Adobe's Lightroom - it's well worth investing in. Can you see how the center of the image is lighter? This is called vignetting. You can also adjust/correct exposure, colour balance, etc etc.

Composition is also important and a post shoot crop can often improve an image if it wasn't ideally framed to begin with. I've cropped and applied a vignette to your first image...

IMG_2268_zpsbsbyieg2.jpg

• Like 2

I'm tied up at work just now but as soon as I get a minute I'll post some stuff up that i've learned along the way. Lots of fantastic tutorials on youtube which cover from taking a photo all the way to final editing on photoshop. What kit are you using?

No rush :)

Just found an email from the advert I bought the kit from

its - "Canon 450D Digital Camera + EF-S 18-55mm + Tamron AF 70-300mm (DSLR)"

90% of my photo's are with the 18-55mm Lens as the other you need to be standing on the moon to fit anything in :lol: And it's all been on Auto so far.

Youtubes a good shout.

Just what I'm hoping for is for some people to post photo's to see how they achieved this, as I'll go onto youtube and search how to use dslr :lol: And yes I'll get tips, but maybe not in the area I'm looking for.

Your second image is pretty under-exposed as the camera has based it's exposure on the well lit side of the car on the right.

When you have a lot of contrast in lighting, it can be a tricky balance, as a camera is more primitive than our eyes at capturing the moment. The kit lens is also not the best for low light situations, as it isn't a particularly fast lens (the aperture doesn't open up particularly wide). In this scenario, a longer exposure might have helped, perhaps coupled with a tripod.

However, these things can still be corrected to a certain extent, post shoot.

IMG_2330_zpsodusabua.jpg

• Like 1

I have a couple of top tips.

Don't worry about mega pixels, or an expensive camera body - spend your cash on lenses (if you can change them).

I prefer prime lenses (so that means you are locked into the focal length) over zooms but zooms have their uses.

Lower 'f' numbers will give you a nice shallow depth of field, combined with a variable ND filter (for sunny days esp), there are plenty of reviews on youtube. Typically expensive IS better but not always, just do your research and look at examples all over the web.

Shoot the photo's in RAW (never JPG).

This'll give you flexibility to adjust many more things in post.

Edited by RobPhoboS
  • Like 2

Try shooting in RAW instead of jpg. Can extract data and edit the photos easier (with the right software)

File size is considerably bigger on the other hand, but hey, what's a 64g memory card nowadays!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I got into photography when I was living in Japan and bought a Canon 350D (which I still use) fortunately all the accessories there are about 1/3rd the price here so could splash out on various things without hitting the wallet too much. I got:

DSLR!

Bought 3 extra lenses, a standard one, zoom and a macro lens (which is brilliant fun)

Loads of filters as they are relatively inexpensive - I really like the polarizing filter which is great for your outdoor shots

Tripod

Extra bolt on grip

Get all the kit, read up the basics on how to utilise it then go experiment :)

Posting to keep updated, hoping to learn a few things too :)

Are they're any easy ways to do a decent rolling shot or does it all depend on the camera?

Just watched this, seems like everything you need to take a picture, but I'd imagine these are the main settings you'd want to play with to get a rolling shot

Posting to keep updated, hoping to learn a few things too :)

Are they're any easy ways to do a decent rolling shot or does it all depend on the camera?

Just watched this, seems like everything you need to take a picture, but I'd imagine these are the main settings you'd want to play with to get a rolling shot

Interesting! Cheers matt, gunna look for more vids like that on YouTube at the weekend

• Like 1

Luckily for me I will of course not need this thread at all as I am an excellent photographer and I have already had loads of tips from other members of the forum -

Mostly - "Get a new camera" or "Get someone else to take the photos"

So as I say no need for me to read this but I'm sure it will help others :)

(subscribed)

• Like 1

Luckily for me I will of course not need this thread at all as I am an excellent photographer and I have already had loads of tips from other members of the forum -

Mostly - "Get a new camera" or "Get someone else to take the photos"

So as I say no need for me to read this but I'm sure it will help others :)

(subscribed)

I made this thread for you :p
  • Like 1

Just curious to see if I've learnt anything

5924101784_fe521be16d_o.jpg

That photo - Is it used with a Low AP setting, with a long shutter speed? And then I'm guessing some Adobe enhancing?

I'm pretty sure that would've been done using a very long exposure and a tripod. Then somebody has walked around the car shining a torch on the ground.

• Like 3

2 easy ways to improve your photography right now!!

• Shoot in RAW format not JPEG
  • Buy Lightroom 5 (or other editing software)

JPEG files are ok for taking snaps, but don't like being manipulated as they are already compressed. So every time you edit/save a JPEG it will degrade in quality.

RAW files on the other hand contain all the information in the photo and can be processed repeatedly with no losses.

Here's a quick example editing your original pic in Lightroom (As its a JPEG the results aren't brilliant)

Original image

original_zpsykkoicgd.jpg

A bit of editing has darkened down the sky, brought up the shadows in the foreground etc to give a more balanced pic.

If this was a RAW file it could be done with no loss in quality and the results would be much better

after_zpsxa1fkyw0.jpg

• Like 1

I learn my skills using the 'P' mode and also Auto. Once the picture was taken, look at the settings there. This will give you an idea what on shutter speed and aperture settings.

Then I move on to full manual setting. Trial and error most of the time, some pics were over exposed, some were under but it gives you an idea what setting to change.

Play around with shutter speed - this is how fast your camera sensor sees the image (not proper explanations but this is how I understand it). Faster speed to capture moving objects but it allows less light reaching the sensor, so sometimes your image will be completely blacked out. Too slow, you moving object will just be a blur but it allows more light into the sensor hence your image will be bright.

Aperture - again, this is something to do with amount of light going into your sensor. This works the other way around, the bigger the Aperture number, the less light goes in. Aperture is also for depth of field. In simple terms, focus'ness of your image. Larger F number will give your good focus across the image while smaller F will give you localised focus point. If that makes sense? So for landscape, where you want everything in focus, you use a bigger F number. Then for portrait, you use a smaller F so that only your subject is in focus and everything in the background is blurred. Or go for lowest F number possible to get the awesome bokeh!

Small F number combined with fast shutter speed are usually used for Motorsport photography where you'll get a picture of moving car/motor in focus while the background/track is blurred (this is pan and shoot technic). For night street photography, larger F from F18 onwards, you can create starburst, that's when you see the street lights (or any light source) will look like star.

ISO - sensitivity of your sensor to lights. The higher the ISO number the more sensitive. Typically useful for night shoot or indoor where lighting is poor. But too high on ISO will cause 'noise' and grainy image. So need to balance out with smaller aperture and slower shutter speed. Or when it's too sunny you will want lower ISO setting so that your pictures won't be over expose.

So these are the 3 settings you'll need to find the balance for the type of photo you wanted.

Then there comes the white balance. Set it wrongly, your image will go yellowish or blueish. So shooting in RAW will allow you to tune it in post processing.

Steve is correct on that blue zed shot with bright white light around it. You'll need a tripod for this shot unless you can hold the camera steady for 1 to 2 minutes or maybe more. For that, I would guess the setting will be S - 2mins, A - F10, ISO - 400. Press the shutter (some might use a remote control to avoid moving the camera) then shine a LED torch around the parameter of the car, since S is around 2mins, you'll have enough time to do that. I would then change the F setting depends if the image turn out too bright or too dark.

So that's how I understand my camera and images that I take. B)

In summary:

Shutter speed - duration of light going into image sensor

Aperture - amount of light going into image sensor

ISO - sensitivity of image sensor towards light

p/s: Apologies in advance for not using the correct/proper photography terms

Edited by veeg33
  • Like 1

Small F number combined with fish shutter speed are usually used for Motorsport photography where you'll get a picture of moving car/motor in focus while the background/track is blurred (this is pan and shoot technic).

Nice write up veeg........is a fish shutter speed for underwater photography? :lol:

:surrender: sorry, couldn't resist!

• Like 1