End of the road for the brave Focus

coldel

...we bought it just over 3 years ago as the workhorse of the family - has done 32,000 miles of hassle free motoring since and was still going strong when whilst sat outside minding its own business an Asda delivery driver paying no attention drives into it...initial prognosis is not looking good:

IMG_0036_zpsbv1nmskg.jpg

Could well be a write off, two panels and the front headlamp damaged.

Am still chasing Asda customer (lack of) services to get this sorted, all happened last Thursday and they are still looking into it.

Have to say, been a cracking car, reasonable MPG for a 1.8L, gets up and down motorways and great around town, nice enough interior and boot fulls of space perfect for a family with a 3 year old. For the £2k we paid for it three years ago and literally just replaced brakes and regular servicing has cost nowt to keep running. Can't go wrong really if you want something cheap that you expect to use for just about any job.

Edit: Has also been to three 350z meets!

Edited by coldel

Sorry to see it mate. Easy fix though, Delivery drivers just don't give a toss.

Saw a Tesco driver just back into a Merc in Tesco car park and then drive off.

I reported it to the Tesco Manager, who wasn't the slightest bit interested.

I left a note on the Merc's windscreen with the reg and the Managers name.

Never heard anything back. :surrender:

No insurance company has the authority to write a car off, unless you give them permission to.

The only person who can write a car off is the owner, after advice from the insurance company.

I had no choice with my Zed. The other parties insurance company refused to continue with repairs or at least that's what I was told despite me contesting the decision.

As they were at fault I was told it was their decision.

Edited by Fodder

Well if Asda actually get their act together and do something I will have some idea - reported it Saturday, was told I would get a call Monday, nothing, followed it up today and they had forgotten about it. This is customer services at Asda...what a bunch of jokers. Just in the process of obtaining a senior customer services manager contact at head office to escalate.

In terms of the car, will take insurance companies advice and take it from there. The car is a 1.8 Ghia so got all the gizmos and has 32,000 miles of our servicing on it so we know its mechanically sound. Although Rebecca is now thinking that she could get another one in a different colour...

By all accounts my neighbour said the delivery driver was 'distraught' at what happened - yeah, the cynical side of me thinks he was distraught because he got caught - funnily enough despite being caught and admitting to it he never actually reported it to the manager of the store.

• Like 1

Although Rebecca is now thinking that she could get another one in a different colour...

Oh well. That's what will actually doom it then. If wifey wants a shiny new one in a different colour, it's all-over for poor trusty old boring colour Focus ;):lol:

• Like 1

this is true, even though the old car may be mechanically fine, the new car mentality soon sets in!

sell it on ebay, someone will have that off you for sure if its got a bit of MOT left on it. heck, our BMW 330ci sold for £530 and that only had half an interior and a blown engine!

• Like 2

Just chatted to the neighbour and same bloke delivered to her on Saturday! So have something concrete to nail this with now.

Rebecca just said she really fancies a blue car - so that might just be it for silver focus...

Well...its been ten days since the driver smashed up poor Focus and left no details, I pressed the Hounslow store delivery manager to find out who it was, he said there were no deliveries that night, I told him to ask each driver who did it as clearly he is going to get identified next time he is down our road which he said he wouldnt do. Spoke to my neighbour Tuesday night who said the same driver delivered to her and got the details off him. Passed these on to the Hounslow store delivery manager on Weds morning and still nothing back, he promised to call by Saturday.

I am very close to driving down there...absolutely disgusting behaviour by Asda, pathetic.

Well just over two weeks after the driver struck the car I managed to motivate the Hounslow store delivery manager to actually put through the paperwork (in other words publicly slating Asda on Twitter) - they admitted full liability and within 10 minutes of that call their insurance company rang me to sort it all out. They are paying for everything direct including the hire car cover and our car will be picked up and returned at no cost etc. So after 2 weeks of constantly chasing a non-interested guy at the store I am finally in the hands of a company and people that are willing to move this forwards.

Question is, when the car damage is assessed, what will be the recommendation...

Well just over two weeks after the driver struck the car I managed to motivate the Hounslow store delivery manager to actually put through the paperwork (in other words publicly slating Asda on Twitter) - they admitted full liability and within 10 minutes of that call their insurance company rang me to sort it all out. They are paying for everything direct including the hire car cover and our car will be picked up and returned at no cost etc. So after 2 weeks of constantly chasing a non-interested guy at the store I am finally in the hands of a company and people that are willing to move this forwards.

Question is, when the car damage is assessed, what will be the recommendation...

If they write it off buy the write off, put a new headlight in and gaffer tape the rest. Re MOT. Job done. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Its a Cat D - been offered a princely sum to have it scrapped so looks like its off to Ford Heaven...thought about buying it back but its on 96k miles and a few niggles I foresee just around the corner to fix so going to let her go :byebye:

I miss all these stories, I expect Will is getting up to all sorts of fantastic yarns these days...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk