power for garage - project solar garage

jumping350

having a bit of a tricky time trying to figure out how to get power for my garage, mainly to power a few strip lights and a heater/kettle/some tools from time to time in the garage. I also am in events so would need it to come with me and power a led clock for a couple of hours

I was going to get this

http://www.eurocarpa...75501&0&cc5_824

then read how crap it was so that's out the window, also had a generator but too loud and too much fumes so not going down that route.

Would like something I can charge and use outdside, is this any better?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item339d6fe27a

not very clued up on this so anyone with any experience or knowledge much appreciated

I can always run a 50 metre lead across the road (cul de sac) but not sure on neighbours views on that one :lol:

Edited by jumping350

None of those will work: A kettle will kill it in seconds.

Really you either need that extension lead, or find a way of running a cable round their from your supply. Got any pics, or an aerial shot? Minus details giving away your exact address, of course!

That item you're looking at will only give a 12v dc output, so you wouldn't be able to use a household kettle or run strip lights.

Can you not sit a generator behind the garage ( less noise), and run the lead through the wall?

Pay a competent electrician to put a ring main in with a couple of outside, waterproof sockets, taking power from your domestic unit in the house.

You won't look back :)

I would've suggested that but the op says its 50 metres away and across the road.

Buy a massive 12v battery like they have in caravans and a DC-to-AC converter. Leave the converter in the garage, and wheel the battery backwards and forwards between garage and house as needs be. You'll obviously need a battery charger in the house.

Alternatively, just buy a house where the garage is attached! ;)

il try sort a sketch out of the locations, I was thinking about those rubber wire protector things for the road (would need a fair bit though :lol: ) I wish I could buy a house with a garage but to be honest the financial outlay and struggle to have something next to my house instead of opposite my house doesn't work out at the moment and probably wont for a good while now.

I was thinking of a leisure battery and inverter, it seems like the only way at the moment, any recommendations?

hmmm tell me more about these solar panels, just want something with a bloody plug socket on the end of it :lol:

heres the worse sketch ever of my problem, its not quite opposite but is kinda as its really quiet cul de sac. orange line is proposed cable route and the red bit next to it is where it crosses neighbours path

garage_zpsanhwgroy.jpg

Edited by jumping350

hmmm tell me more about these solar panels, just want something with a bloody plug socket on the end of it :lol:

heres the worse sketch ever of my problem, its not quite opposite but is kinda as its really quiet cul de sac. orange line is proposed cable route and the red bit next to it is where it crosses neighbours path

garage_zpsanhwgroy.jpg

Are you sure that's your garage?! :dry: ..it's frickin' miles away from your house. :surrender::lol:

Cheapest easiest option I can think of for you is an inverter generator. Like this: http://www.screwfix.com/p/impax-im800i-700w-inverter-generator-230v/15760?kpid=15760&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&kpid=15760&cm_mmc=Google-_-Shopping%20-%20Power%20Tools-_-Shopping%20-%20Power%20Tools&gclid=CN2Ks5-ZnMQCFQIYwwodQBMAkA

Any good? :shrug:;)

I have the same problem with no power in my garage to and the distance it is away from the house :( It is something I will tackle at a later stage but interesting to see the different ideas being thrown around.

it really is not that far at all, the picture makes it looks worse than it is its not actually 50 metres away its much less but thats the extension lead I have :lol: id say max 20 seconds and your there from leaving my door, literally cross the road down a small path and your there.

Thanks GM looks ok but for price I think a Leisure battery may double the usage time I would get. its all very confusing and all the amps/watt/volt/ah references are just confusing me, not to mention the inverter seems to be more expensive than the battery :wacko:

Solar panels not an option?

not sure that would be very effective - you'll need a lot of batteries ?

at current tech levels, it best used as its generated ?

and you'd need an inverter

Its a pain isnt it Humpy, current tech levels are crap, we can fly in space, we can split atoms, we have a watch that you can play candy crush on, heck I even saw on the news there flying a plane round the world on solar panels (though it does take 15 months :lol: )

So why cant I turn a light on in my garage without dying of fumes or noise or having 27 batteries piled up :lol:

Edited by jumping350
  • Like 1

it really is not that far at all, the picture makes it looks worse than it is its not actually 50 metres away its much less but thats the extension lead I have :lol: id say max 20 seconds and your there from leaving my door, literally cross the road down a small path and your there.

Thanks GM looks ok but for price I think a Leisure battery may double the usage time I would get. its all very confusing and all the amps/watt/volt/ah references are just confusing me, not to mention the inverter seems to be more expensive than the battery :wacko:

Inverters aren't cheap especially if you want a good one that will allow you to run things for a long time or items which use more watts. Me & my mate used them in our mobile catering van when we used to run a small catering company together.

The inverters we used where around £500 each (still fairly cheap ones) and this allowed us to power a small fridge, panini press & microwave. Wish I could tell you more on the specs etc but it was my mate (business partner) who ordered them & was more electrically minded than me.

you paying the deposit Dan? :p:)

I thought the battery was bad enough the inverters are a joke, sounds like you had the one that does the job GM.

Need to figure out what size battery and what size inverter I need along with what charger to use that's not extortionate and not blow myself up :wacko:

im buying a headtorch :lol:

Edited by jumping350
  • Like 2