power for garage - project solar garage

jumping350

So took the weekend to clear out the garage, minimize stuff and see how this would all work out!

Started with running the strips along the roof beams

IMG_0971_zpsq1gwjfgi.jpg

IMG_0972_zpsvxjqpcnz.jpg

Then I tacked the wires leading back to the panel roughly in place

IMG_0973_zpsifqnp9nc.jpg

The panel for now can sit at the back until I mount it properly but all hooked up for now :thumbs:

IMG_0974_zpsy7glkbpv.jpg

So onto testing and for a contrasting shot here is a picture inside the garage with the door shut (you can just about see the lights on the panel)

IMG_0983_zpsanfrct74.jpg

Flick of a switch and boom!!

IMG_0976_zpsn7jcqwdi.jpg

IMG_0980_zps7orlhvru.jpg

clear view of tools

IMG_0981_zpsckoejkyt.jpg

Pretty pleased with light output (still have 4 more strips to put up!) ..I will test it out fitting my plenum spacer

• Like 1

Thanks guys pretty chuffed with myself and spent the evening in the garage tinkering with the zed (the mrs was happy!)

This is truly amazing dude, massive man/intrernet points for you!

Could you give a rough breakdown in total costs? (if you don't mind!) and do you have to be particularly clever to do it? Really interested in doing this myself but I've found the whole thing really daunting :)

Edited by AliveBoy

gangzoom what the hell is that :lol: is it a Tesla charging point? if so I may need a Tesla then otherwise its useless :D

It's a 'powerwall' essentially a 10kWh battery pack for 'storing' energy generated from solar panels. Up to 9 be 'linked' up to make a 90kWh storage unit. There's an 'industry' version that can be scaled to MegaWatt size!!

Ive seen something similar gangzoom they are pretty cool and if you tie it into your home grid the electricity company will buy the excess electric you produce back off you, but as you mentioned a costly initial outlay!!

Thanks guys pretty chuffed with myself and spent the evening in the garage tinkering with the zed (the mrs was happy!)

This is truly amazing dude, massive man/intrernet points for you!

Could you give a rough breakdown in total costs? (if you don't mind!) and do you have to be particularly clever to do it? Really interested in doing this myself but I've found the whole thing really daunting :)

Thanks mate, all in it cost me just under £100 the most expensive bits would be the battery and solar panels but if you keep glued to ebay there are a lot of bargains. Dont need to be that clever as long as you buy right bits and handy with a wire stripper its pretty straight forward (now I know it anyway)

Ive fused everything just to be extra careful but most of the things have in built fuses anyway so pretty safe.

Main bits you will need are:

Leisure Battery

20w+ solar panel/s

light switches (optional)

Wattmeter (optional, but I like to know whats going on)

Solar Controller

Battery Terminals

Loads of wiring

Led strip lights

Power inverter (if you want a plug)

I had a lot of 8gauge wire hanging about so got away with that as that can be quite expensive but obviously the better the wiring the better the whole system.

If you want to go for it, let me know and I can hand out some pointers.

Up until now though ive not found anything for the garage that comes close in terms of being able to have good light and use of a socket without spending loads or creating noise/fumes.

• Like 1

LOL - now there is absolutely NO reason for you to keep procrastinating over your supercharger install*. Chop chop :lol:;)

*unless you've already done it and I missed it :lol:

:lol: No not yet! I will now! in fact I have just ordered the last batch of bits for the install so that's it! im done no more purchases everything is accounted for so onto install now!

I would also like to point out that I must be the forum member who has owned a supercharger the longest without installing it :lol:

Just checked...one year last week :wacko:

Edited by jumping350
  • Like 1