Seventy. Five. Inches.

Ekona

87749BB1-D3CC-4245-91FE-ECAB52CEFCE7_zpsyjm1bdzr.jpg

Lights reflecting, I know, and not my choice of programme!

Honest though, it's stunning. For an LED the blacks are very black, with all processing turned off too, and it's a wonderfully smooth picture (again, no tricks). Setup was a breeze with it connecting correctly to the AVR and the interweb, and I just needed to tweak the colour and contrast down to get an acceptable picture. I'll do a full calibration tomorrow, and try and get some pics of it from other angles in daylight.

TVs have definitely come on a long way, this is very impressive.

• Like 2

TV looks great :), get down to IKEA though and get a decent unit to showcase it and hide Joderall (sp?) Bank. I couldn't be doing with all that cable clutter.

Not a fan of wall hanging a TV, always seems to be a problem with cables on show.

When I gutted my house a few years ago, I took the opportunity to put all my tinternet and speaker cable under the floor.

• Like 1

Cables will all be hidden, this is just a temp setup for today. Well, the TV is staying on the wall and the unit stays there, but the speakers might move a bit to improve the soundstage (they're in desperate need of a new calibration now) and that sort of thing.

87749BB1-D3CC-4245-91FE-ECAB52CEFCE7_zpsyjm1bdzr.jpg

Lights reflecting, I know, and not my choice of programme!

Honest though, it's stunning. For an LED the blacks are very black, with all processing turned off too, and it's a wonderfully smooth picture (again, no tricks). Setup was a breeze with it connecting correctly to the AVR and the interweb, and I just needed to tweak the colour and contrast down to get an acceptable picture. I'll do a full calibration tomorrow, and try and get some pics of it from other angles in daylight.

TVs have definitely come on a long way, this is very impressive.

Nice TV, but if that's 75 inches, that foot in the picture must be 24" :D

Daryl, good effort, but you either need to do some painting (looks like plain MDF) and certainly need to get your cornice to wrap round. Sorry buddy, but I'd rather have cables on show.

It's a difficult thing to do, build your own units, I tried it once with a separates system, man that really looked pants!!

I prefer low and long matching units, in a gloss finish, topped with glass. All the power cables etc. are down the back and the TV uses the stand that's designed for it.

It is all painted chap, but was plain MDF your right. Thought about adding the cornice around it, but the metal up the sides with be hidden then, and im not sure it would look right to be honest. Each to their own, and thanks for the comments, it took alot of man hours to make, as the TV is suspended on a home made mount, as i was not going to pay £300 for a cantilever one, and there is metal trim bend around the TV to finish the edge, and there is trim up the sides to finish them edges off too. The central speaker is mounted on a carbon fibre shelf, and recessed into the unit, so its level with the front 2 speakers. I personally like that the cornice and the skirting dont go around it, but like you said, each to their own.

• Like 1

58798FA9-1DF0-4724-A70C-73BB610AF3BB.jpg

Thats what i did with my 55", took ages to build, and there is storage for DVD's up the side with some LED lights for ambient lighting. Go on Dan, get it built! Lol

Nice effort but when I saw the picture I thought I was in the things with faces thread. Looks like you have been photo bombed by an owl :lol:

• Like 1

Just been discussing that with a mate on FB, good timing :)

Bothers me not a jot, I'm on the internet so everything I do is recorded anyway. Unless I want to unplug fully then I assume that everything I say or do is out there anyway, makes life much easier and I can stop my subscription for tinfoil hats :)

It is all painted chap, but was plain MDF your right. Thought about adding the cornice around it, but the metal up the sides with be hidden then, and im not sure it would look right to be honest. Each to their own, and thanks for the comments, it took alot of man hours to make, as the TV is suspended on a home made mount, as i was not going to pay £300 for a cantilever one, and there is metal trim bend around the TV to finish the edge, and there is trim up the sides to finish them edges off too. The central speaker is mounted on a carbon fibre shelf, and recessed into the unit, so its level with the front 2 speakers. I personally like that the cornice and the skirting dont go around it, but like you said, each to their own.

Looks epic dude!

• 1 month later...

... So i've just had to buy a new TV today. Not something i was planning on purchasing as i'm in the middle of a house move at the moment (waiting for mortgage approval via Sarnie!) so a lot of my money is spoken for.

My 2 year old Samsung 55" 6-series has been getting progressively worse over the last 6 months, with the bottom 2 inches of the screen not working, and then recently a horizontal line about a 3rd of the way up appeared too.

I've dismantled it previously but not managed to fix it, and i decided to have another go today - but i made it worse. :headhurt: I dont know what i've done, but now the picture only displays in black & white, and is pretty blurry :lol:

To be honest i think i've just sabotaged myself, as i was hoping i would break it so i could buy a new one!

I got an email yesterday with Curry's 'Easter Deals', and they are selling the Samsung 65" 8 Series 1080p Curved LED TV for only £1499.00! Reduced from the 'normal' price of £2800. Pretty good deal I thought, and it includes a 5 year warranty too.

Good news is, it's getting delivered before 11am tomorrow. :D I've got the F1 on record, so looking forward to watching it on the new beast.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/samsung-ue65h8000-smart-3d-65-curved-led-tv-22074710-pdt.html#cat-0

Edited by marzman
  • Like 1