Speed bump regulations...

JoshC

Two reasons why I'm currenly looking into this;

Firstly, the speed bumps at the development where I live (numerous blocks of flats), which are those black and yellow plastic things, have already succeeded in pretty much ripping off the front chin spoiler on my 370 (car is completely standard right height yet catches badly everytime).

Secondly (and the real reason) is I want to lower my car which would be pretty much impossible atm with them in place.

Do I have any argument that any speed bump should not be so tall that it is damaging a factory standard production car or that maybe these black and yellow one's should only be used as a temporary measure? (I always assumed that's what they were tbh)

I did have a quick look at the highways act referring to this and it just says that;

B) it has a minimum length of 900 millimetres measured parallel to an imaginary line along

the centre of that carriageway from the point where one face meets the surface of that

carriageway to the point where the other face meets the surface of that carriageway;

© the highest point on it is not less than 25 millimetres nor more than 100 millimetres

higher than an imaginary line parallel to the centre line of that carriageway connecting

the surface of that carriageway on one side of the road hump to the surface of that

carriageway on the other side of the road hump and passing vertically below that point;

and,

(d) no vertical face of any material forming part of that road hump exceeds 6 millimetres

measured vertically from top to bottom of that face.

Any ideas what arguments I can put to the management company if I contact them? Will of course lead with the fact that it's damaging my car, rather than I want to lower my car! :lol:

Cheers :thumbs:

• Like 1

Two reasons why I'm currenly looking into this;

Firstly, the speed bumps at the development where I live (numerous blocks of flats), which are those black and yellow plastic things, have already succeeded in pretty much ripping off the front chin spoiler on my 370 (car is completely standard right height yet catches badly everytime).

Secondly (and the real reason) is I want to lower my car which would be pretty much impossible atm with them in place.

Do I have any argument that any speed bump should not be so tall that it is damaging a factory standard production car or that maybe these black and yellow one's should only be used as a temporary measure? (I always assumed that's what they were tbh)

I did have a quick look at the highways act referring to this and it just says that;

B) it has a minimum length of 900 millimetres measured parallel to an imaginary line along

the centre of that carriageway from the point where one face meets the surface of that

carriageway to the point where the other face meets the surface of that carriageway;

© the highest point on it is not less than 25 millimetres nor more than 100 millimetres

higher than an imaginary line parallel to the centre line of that carriageway connecting

the surface of that carriageway on one side of the road hump to the surface of that

carriageway on the other side of the road hump and passing vertically below that point;

and,

(d) no vertical face of any material forming part of that road hump exceeds 6 millimetres

measured vertically from top to bottom of that face.

Any ideas what arguments I can put to the management company if I contact them? Will of course lead with the fact that it's damaging my car, rather than I want to lower my car! :lol:

Cheers :thumbs:

assuming the development is privately owned and not a council build i dont think you have an argument on the hump sizes,

but maybe they could be chargeable for damage like a pot hole?

• Like 1

If what they are using follows the legal guidelines, I'm not sure what you can do.

However, were they there before you moved in or bought your car? If yes then I'd say tough luck, that's your fault. If no, then how much consulting did they do before the install? I don't know if they need to consult, but it might give you a window.

To be completely honest though matey, there is no reason that you shouldn't be able to traverse a standard set of humps in a standard 370Z. Either you need to change your angle of attack, or slow down, or even speeding up can help! And really, if they're already there then there's very little chance of them ever removing them, or not installing more. :(

Normally if you dip one wheel on and one wheel off any speedbump, you should be fine. Got any pics of the ones in question?

assuming the development is privately owned and not a council build i dont think you have an argument on the hump sizes,

but maybe they could be chargeable for damage like a pot hole?

Yeah that's what I feared, probably won't get anywhere with this but goning to send off a tester email anyway!

If what they are using follows the legal guidelines, I'm not sure what you can do.

However, were they there before you moved in or bought your car? If yes then I'd say tough luck, that's your fault. If no, then how much consulting did they do before the install? I don't know if they need to consult, but it might give you a window.

To be completely honest though matey, there is no reason that you shouldn't be able to traverse a standard set of humps in a standard 370Z. Either you need to change your angle of attack, or slow down, or even speeding up can help! And really, if they're already there then there's very little chance of them ever removing them, or not installing more. :(

Normally if you dip one wheel on and one wheel off any speedbump, you should be fine. Got any pics of the ones in question?

They were already there sadly as my building is a brand new addition to an existing site. I relaise that I'm very very unlikely to get anywhere with this but just a tad frustrating and did think it was odd that a standard car would catch on them. I do take them very slowly at an angle which is better but still catches even then!

Bellway are still building another block on the site hence my access route is currently through a side entrance and will be for the next year or so but it just struck me that the plastic one's may be intended for temporary use only while the builders are still there so will ask that question!

always go diagonally

Yeah that does help but still catch slightly! Think I may be sad enough to go an measure them one day, just difficult to decipher from the above regulations what the exact heights should be. I'm guessing just between 25 and 100m from the surface?

I have about 5 long speed bumps to get by to get to my house. One of the lips I had on the zed was too low to get over on of them so I have to drive all the way round to the back of the estate and come in the bottom end. Pain in the ass but was the only way to avoid them. Also it has ruined the drop links on every car I've had.

• Like 1

I reckon if you catch them regardless of what you do with regards to angle and speed, then they're too high. Go measure them definitely.

Yeah that's what got me thinking! Will go and measure at some point while I also measure the clearance I have without the chin spoiler in terms of lowering :)

Key measurements from what I can see is less than 100mm high and at least 900mm long!

I reckon if you catch them regardless of what you do with regards to angle and speed, then they're too high. Go measure them definitely.

Yeah that's what got me thinking! Will go and measure at some point while I also measure the clearance I have without the chin spoiler in terms of lowering :)

Key measurements from what I can see is less than 100mm high and at least 900mm long!

Apart from that it's not always possible to take them at an angle anyway as the roads are quite narrow so if something else is coming you have to go head on. Also one of them is at the gate so it even narrower and due to the fact there's no room to straighten up before reaching the traffic lights which are placed immediately after the hump if you don't take it straight on you'd be waiting at the lights partly blocking the other lane if you see what I mean?

I think the main factor is the design of them, some speed bumps I don't mind as they allow room for you car not to beach.

The worst ones are the Half moon which have about 6 inch of depth, - I.e. not even the sizes of your tyres, but you have to get some speed to actually get over it, as it's got no small incline leading up to it.

lifetime-plastic-speed-bump.jpg

The black/yellow plastic ones do seem to be higher than most speed ramps ive found. I remember years back I used to park my 5 gt turbo in a council car park every day. One day I came back to the car only to find that they had installed those black/yellow plastic speed ramps on the exit. Was a nightmare trying to get over it, it virtually ripped my exhaust off. I wrote to the council and they basically said tough. In the end I had to remove the middle silencer from my car to give me a bit more ground clearance.

When I had a 370z for a week I did notice it seemed to be lower as standard than my 350z was, as it did scrape on the block paved speed ramps outside my work place.

There are some what i call 'Yorky bar' speed humps local to me.

They have been in our local news because they seem too harsh, steep, high. Problem being they're steep and not wide enough so your wheels are still at road level and the yorky bar can readily rip anything hanging down low.

I avoid this road now, so I feel your pain. Be interested to see what the regs are too..

Whilst searching just found this news article.. which would be welcomed by all of us I'm sure!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8568183/The-end-of-the-speed-hump.html

Nissan says the ground clearance for a 370 on 18" wheels is 126mm and on 19" wheels it is 125mm.

You must be a heavy bugger then to lower the ride height to 100mm or less :teeth:

Haha! Well Christmas has only just passed! :D

So either that measurement doesn't include the little chin spoiler or the bumps are too high!

the highest point on it is not less than 25 millimetres nor more than 100 millimetres

This is the bit that could catch you out, if the road is higher in the middle than at the sides (as we all know our roads aren't exactly level!). So if the road is, say, 20cms higher in the middle (probably unlikely I know), than the actual driving lanes, and the speed bump could be up to 10cms higher than that line, you're looking at a 30cm speed bump - a lot of cars these days don't have this clearance.

I remember there being lots of issues with the speed bumps at Wicksteed Park for JAE and we were told that they couldn't make them any lower because of the public and they were allowed to be up to a foot high so we couldn't contest them.

I think you might have a case - in the same way that if you get caught drifting in a Tesco carpark you get nicked despite it being "private", if there is open access to this speedbump then it should also be considered as public.

I also have a very good mate who works for Highways that Ive been through this with previously, give me the dimensions and Ill run it by him and see what he says. :thumbs:

Funny story (well it's not very funny) with my Zed and bumps haha (only some one who loves their car can feel the pain)

When I first met my girl friends parents, the misses failed to mention the speed bumps down her rich parents roads!!! As you drive down the road there's serious motors every where! Most cars on the drive where 80g plus!

Anyway I'm driving down the road in my stupidly low, loud Zed, then I see the first bump!!!!! Wow! Me not wanting to leave the Zed half a mile away from the house, I thought I'v gotta go for it, after about 7 bumps, posh idiots in their fancy cars all now stacked up behind me and me at boiling point, slightly scratching the bottom on my car! I decided to just leave it by the side of the road!!! It's now raining badly and she is now moaning about walking in the rain! She then decides to come out with the worst one liner known to man!!!! "Why do you have a silly car that can't even get over a little bump"

To cut a long story short first impressions where terrible, soaking wet and I don't think any of them could understand my pain! Me and her nearly fell out!! Plus I feel like a little chav in my car hahaBut now she understands haha

Sorry if that story bored you but every one with a low car must of got them selfs in a situation like that haha

Edited by Bobby D
  • Like 1

the highest point on it is not less than 25 millimetres nor more than 100 millimetres

This is the bit that could catch you out, if the road is higher in the middle than at the sides (as we all know our roads aren't exactly level!). So if the road is, say, 20cms higher in the middle (probably unlikely I know), than the actual driving lanes, and the speed bump could be up to 10cms higher than that line, you're looking at a 30cm speed bump - a lot of cars these days don't have this clearance.

This, all our roads are designed to allow water to run off into the gutter, camber. From the centre of the road to the extremes of the camber depth at the kerb, will vary, i.e. from zero at the centre to -75mm for example.

This will mean that at the extreme bottom of the camber it would be 175mm, perfectly within the planning regulations (although in practice, speed bumps rarely, if ever, go right to the pavement).

So, being above the clearance of a stock 370 may be achievable near the centre of the road, but by the time that height reaches across to the opposite side of the car, it could be, say 135mm, hence a problem but perfectly within spec.

No doubt, there'll be a person, whose job it is to put a spirit level on top of the bump stretching towards the kerb, and keep the hump level to the horizon, rather than building it parallel to the road surface from the centre to the bottom of the camber.

That all made sense when I was dictating it in my head for my fingers to type. Basically, you're humped! No pun intended :)

Bloke with sports car complaining about speed humps is unlikely to generate much sympathy.

Is it the black plastic strip under the car just behind the lip that catches? If so I believe some people have removed them.

I don't object to traffic calming measures but I have noticed that by far the worst drivers around our way are the mummy's racing their little cherubs to school. A lot of them drive hefty 4x4s that sail straight over the local speed humps without having to slow down at all.

Edited by sipar69