Forgive me, for I have sinned... (Mustang Content)

Paddy78

I got emailed yesterday by Ford saying the prices are release and linked me to the builder. Fully specced with the Ruby Red paint and manual box was about £35,500. Has to be the bargain of the year, right?

i think I might be keeping the M6 shorter than I though...

Edited by KyleR

Wheres the comparison!?! It's a V8, the comparison should be with other V8's. Where the comparison truly is, is in the price, not with a 370 or 350.

Compare it to an old BMW M3, M5, F type, then it's super value, but a poor V8.

We get it Dan, you don't like the 370, man you're pedantic.

Of course it's comparable: How many other cars does the 370 get compared with that don't have a V6? Cayman? Check. TT? Check. And they were just Nissan's choices. It's also been compared to the BRZ86, S2000, and the legendary Astra VXR :p You can of course compare it to other V8 cars if you really wanted to, but that's not what matters for the UK market. This is a proper car, with a proper engine, that's done to the 370 what the 370 did to the TT: Blow it out of the water with performance and price the other can't hope to match. You said it yourself that the comparison is in the price!

And I do like the 370. I love it externally (I didn't at launch, I've admitted that), the OEM wheels are a work of art, the synchro rev match thing is clever as hell, and the mk2 370ZN is one of the best looking cars I've seen in the last 10 years. I'd love to have Will's 370, the ragtop in that colour is stunning. I really don't know where you get this thing that I hate the 370 from, I really don't. Funnily enough it's normally others that bring it up, not me...

You do like to slip in the odd little dig at them from time to time. ;)

Seriously though I'm not convinced comparisons with the 370 are much use. They have a completely different identity. I was surprised that I actually started to like the Mustang's look, but I think for a lot of people it won't be to their taste - it looks very big and hefty and that doesn't appeal to everyone, much like the GTR. The 370 isn't exactly a small car (mine pokes out width-wise from most of the cars on our road) but it doesn't have that really hefty presence that cars like the Mustang and GTR have. That's not to everyone's taste. My other half appreciates a nice looking car and her instant reaction to it was "too chunky and very ugly". (I hope she was referring to the car and not me!)

Aesthetically you could love the look of the 370 and hate the look of the Mustang, and vice versa. Some people will love the big chunky 'American-ness' of it, but I don't see that most (of the small group) of people for whom the 370 would be serious contender will drop it from their list because this car offers more grunt for the money.

Edited by sipar69

Taste on aesthetics I can agree with: Some will love the looks of one over the other, but that's the same situation with anything. I don't think there's much argument that both are good looking cars (whether the new 'Stang is better than the old one is a different question altogether), and I don't think there's any argument over whether the the Mustang appears to offer better value than the 370.

Where the Ford could fall over is the interior quality, something Nissan massively improved on with the 370, and certainly I've yet to be impressed by any of Ford's connectivity options in their vehicles (my Ranger is particularly horrific, and it's only a year old!). In terms of styling, again that's down to the individual, but I think it certainly has the same dash of flair that the 370 has.

No, I look at it purely from the basic viewpoint of wanting a fun GT cruiser with a big engine and RWD, whilst giving me something more exotic than a four-pot but with some good shove, and I want all that on a budget. In that respect, I think the 370 to Mustang comparison is a very fair fair one, and I think it's very heavily weighed in the favour of the Yank. At that price point, I would expect it to nab a few sales from Audi and Porsche as well.

I think we're all forgetting just how big a deal this car is. It's the first ever Mustang to be offered here in RHD, and they're giving us the V8 option too in full-fat glory. This is a legend, an icon of motoring, and it could take off over here just as much as it has in the US. :)

• Like 6

LHD was one of the biggest reasons for not being interested in the last Mustang. The more I think about it the more this is edging the mkII 370N out of my next car slot. It just seems to tick every box.

I like the looks from all angles, has decent kit, has decent power, is very tuneable, I've always wanted a Mustang, I've always wanted a V8...

I need to find some way of keeping the 350 as well.

have to say, I think i'm the reverse... I've never wanted a Mustang, have always thought dodge challenger or chevy Camaros are cooler, but i'd never have one of them either - at the end of the day they're just big American muscle cars.

I don't think the new 'stang is going to change that opinion - its big and loud and far too brash for the UK, and the reason its cheap is because its a ford and ford make cheap cars. yes its the cheapest V8 car you can buy new, but of course it is, its a ford, whereas previously V8s were only available from german marques, with associated price tags.

I think i'm going to stick to Japanese or German cars, just cant see myself ever driving a Mustang in the UK! I mean seriously, releasing a 5 litre V8 motor when everyone else is downsizing and turbocharging... its a bold move, but over here where petrol is expensive and roads are narrow and twisty, I can't see it working...

• Like 1

have to say, I think i'm the reverse... I've never wanted a Mustang, have always thought dodge challenger or chevy Camaros are cooler, but i'd never have one of them either - at the end of the day they're just big American muscle cars.

I don't think the new 'stang is going to change that opinion - its big and loud and far too brash for the UK, and the reason its cheap is because its a ford and ford make cheap cars. yes its the cheapest V8 car you can buy new, but of course it is, its a ford, whereas previously V8s were only available from german marques, with associated price tags.

I think i'm going to stick to Japanese or German cars, just cant see myself ever driving a Mustang in the UK! I mean seriously, releasing a 5 litre V8 motor when everyone else is downsizing and turbocharging... its a bold move, but over here where petrol is expensive and roads are narrow and twisty, I can't see it working...

You make it sounds like a boat :lol:

Surely it's no bigger if not smaller than Dan's new Limo, I mean BMW ;)

I think i'm going to stick to Japanese or German cars, just cant see myself ever driving a Mustang in the UK! I mean seriously, releasing a 5 litre V8 motor when everyone else is downsizing and turbocharging... its a bold move, but over here where petrol is expensive

and roads are narrow and twisty, I can't see it working...

:protest: Instant ban!

Haha, good to see another opinion as obviously the Z and Mustang have a similar following given this post.

Using the US MPG and doing a rough calculation the V8 should get around 25 UK MPG combined. Not too bad really, better than I thought!

Managed to find a review of the latest model (albeit not the V8) online today but I can't find the link now. Think it might have been Autoexpress or something similar. They liked the styling but criticised the ride and cabin quality. They also slagged off the engine noise (but that's obviously specific to the smaller engine).

Ride quality wouldn't be an issue for me after several years bouncing along in the Z.

I think i'm going to stick to Japanese or German cars, just cant see myself ever driving a Mustang in the UK! I mean seriously, releasing a 5 litre V8 motor when everyone else is downsizing and turbocharging... its a bold move, but over here where petrol is expensive

Haha, good to see another opinion as obviously the Z and Mustang have a similar following given this post.

Using the US MPG and doing a rough calculation the V8 should get around 25 UK MPG combined. Not too bad really, better than I thought!

Not bad. We have higher ron fuel than the yanks too so it might be better than that.

that's partly my point - the BMW M3 for example downsized to a 3 litre twin turbo, but makes more power than the 5L V8 in this mustang, and can manage 32mpg. but more importantly the BMW will be a far nicer place to sit, and a nicer car to drive.

I hate to say it, but it might be an age thing? i'm of the playstation generation, in which muscle cars were always comically large and handled like boats - it was all japanese and german for performance cars. A few year previous and the muscle cars would have a great rep thanks to all the driving movies that featured them in leadng roles - but I've never watched any of them, so doesn't have the same appeal to me!

Holy crap, that's 10 MPG better than I'm getting now, reason in itself to buy one :D

• Like 1

that's partly my point - the BMW M3 for example downsized to a 3 litre twin turbo, but makes more power than the 5L V8 in this mustang, and can manage 32mpg. but more importantly the BMW will be a far nicer place to sit, and a nicer car to drive.

I hate to say it, but it might be an age thing? i'm of the playstation generation, in which muscle cars were always comically large and handled like boats - it was all japanese and german for performance cars. A few year previous and the muscle cars would have a great rep thanks to all the driving movies that featured them in leadng roles - but I've never watched any of them, so doesn't have the same appeal to me!

Yes, but the Germans are all about efficiency, whereas the Americans are more about brashness and noise. Both have their benefits and if you want the smaller boosted engine, the Mustang offers that also in the 2.3 Ecoboost.

I've no doubt the M3 will be a nicer place to be on a day to day basis, but it does cost twice the price of the 'Stang after all.

• Like 1

some of the comment about this are funny people saying its stupid to bring a 5.0 v8 to the uk etc im guessing lambo bringing v12 is silly as well

i think people are missing the point its bringing a whole new sector to the uk market i say new but since the monaros theres not been a beefy true to its origins muscle car on the market, its a realistic affordable enthusiast muscle car not a poncy show off sports car to go park in the golf course

and listening to magazines is rubbish as basically if its not german or italian its @*!#

does sound a lot like people are trying to make there own car be it 50/70 seem better before anyone other than the yanks who love it have driven it

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 1

but do you want brashness and noise? I mean, I hate to say it, but I think if someone drove a new mustang down a high street, you'd be 98% despised by everyone who saw it (the other 2% being 7 years old boys, but most of them don't appreciate cars these days) whereas a bmw would slip by largely unnoticed, apart from the few in the know who recognise its an M3. understated is the key I think, speak softly but carry a bit stick.

I admire that ford have released a V8 mustang over here, but I just don't think it will work - we've had the Vauxhall VXR8 for some time now, and I don't ever see any of them on the roads either! (hmmm actually... I wonder how much those go for these days...)

Holy crap, that's 10 MPG better than I'm getting now, reason in itself to buy one :D

man math at its best :thumbs:

• Like 2

The Mustang would be no louder that most of the Zeds on here running HFC's. Unless you start putting stripes on it, it is not that more noticeable than an M3. The only reason you aren't more conspicuous in an M3 is because they look like every other 3 series.

• Like 2

diffrence is the mustang is an icon in the same way a 911 or gtr is the vxr8 the world doesnt know

i recall an article which showed the most requested rental car for foreigner renting in america was the mustang not a chysler not a cadaliac a mustang

and for that i dont think people will hate it due to it being an icon people dont care about the m3 as to most out of the car world it could just be 320d coupe but when something as in your face as a mustang go past i would put money on the camera phones coming out

• Like 1

does sound a lot like people are trying to make there own car be it 50/70 seem better before anyone other than the yanks who love it have driven it

No. People are just have a friendly debate expressing differing opinions about a new car. If your comment about listening to magazines being rubbish was a reference to my post I simply mentioned that there was a review. I didn't say I agreed with it. Like you I've long since noticed that most of the mainstream review sites slag off anything that doesn't have a Porsche or BMW badge on it.

Given that the new M4 is getting average reviews at best, I'm not so sure I'd want something that drove like that.

Downsizing and turbocharging is not the way I particularly want my fun cars to go. I'd never consider a new M4, but an E92 M3 would be right up my street. Same reason I'd like an older Clio RS rather than the current one.

• Like 3