The DVLA are a Bunch of Thieves...!!

WhackyWill

Under the old system, Will loses out if transfers the tax.

Under either system, the new owner loses out to the refund.

Under the new system I also loose out, as I had to tax my new car for December

and I still lost out on Decembers tax on the Zed. so I have paid vehicle tax TWICE for Dec. :rant: :rant:

This is the reply I got from them when I queried it.

Thank you for your email received on 14/1/15. Your email reference number is 2727779.

If you would like to dispute the amount of refund you have received it may help if I initially explain that there is a 10% surcharge on 6 monthly vehicle tax renewals (5% for 6 monthly Direct Debit) that is not refundable.

If you are still unhappy and would like to dispute the amount of refund you have received, you will need to write or fax in to the Refunds department so that investigations can be made.

Write/fax to:

Refunds

DVLA

Swansea

SA99 1AL

Fax: 01792 783002

In your letter, please include:

• The registration number

• make and model

• your full name and address

• an explanation of why you are disputing the refund amount

• a signature.

The refunds department will investigate this and you should receive a response within 6 weeks.

In the meantime, please cash the payable order you have received.

I hope this information helps.

sorry to hear this, i guess i got lucky when i sorn my car after the accident i submitted the sorn online on 28/11 and received my cheque on 3/12 for the amount that i was expecting including december, i suppose the difference is that to notify them of selling the vehicle it still has to be done by post and not online, maybe this is a flaw in the new system as the online applications are instant :shrug:

Under the old system, Will loses out if transfers the tax.

Under either system, the new owner loses out to the refund.

Under the new system I also loose out, as I had to tax my new car for December

and I still lost out on Decembers tax on the Zed. so I have paid vehicle tax TWICE for Dec. :rant: :rant:

You would have done under the old system too; whether you applied for a refund or not under the old system, you would always have paid for December. You are no worse off for the new system, you are only potentially better off because you got 2 months refund that you might not have requested under the old system.

The lesson here is to SORN the car online the day that it's sold, as the above would suggest that it's much quicker to register with the DVLA.

The lesson here is to SORN the car online the day that it's sold, as the above would suggest that it's much quicker to register with the DVLA.

I totally agree with that, but If I had SORN the car then Chris, would not have been able to drive it home

to Wales that evening, or could I have SORN it at 4.30 pm and Chris could have taxed it at 4.31pm ..!!!

This whole system is crazy and is designed to rip off the motorist yet again. :surrender:

could I have SORN it at 4.30 pm and Chris could have taxed it at 4.31pm ..!!!

I couldn't tell you to be honest.

The new system is a mild improvement over the old system in some respects, in others like this it's no different. However by changing the system it's just highlighted some previously unnoticed fault in the process. There's no doubt it can be improved, I'd question whether it was deliberately devised with the express purpose of ripping off motorists... I doubt the DVLA as a whole is that clever!

• Like 1

On the other hand DVLA have taken money twice for December, given what Whacky says the new owner did, so is right under the new system where evryone has to claim back unexpired tax and rewquire new owners to tax, rather than inherit unexpired tax as before.

Seems to me they 'want their cake and eat it', and really with the new system it should not matter when the claim for the unexpired tax is sent in.....if they can see from their system the car has been re-taxed by another for the period being claimed :dry:

Seems to me they 'want their cake and eat it', and really with the new system it should not matter when the claim for the unexpired tax is sent in.....if they can see from their system the car has been re-taxed by another for the period being claimed

They quote that you don't have to apply for your rebate, they will automatically

send it to you...so what date do they apply to the rebate, the date of sale,,the date they receive

the V5 filled in..They seem to make this bit up as they go along. My car was sold on the 30th November

and all paperwork said 30th Nov..maybe they did not get the new log book request for a few days in

Dec..surely it should go on the date of sale...!!! :scare: :scare:

I reckon you sorn it online, therefore instantly issues the notice that you are due the tax back, and then the new buyer gets road tax before they drive it home, which then unsorns the car.

surely when you sorn it, you're done with the car in the eyes of tax - the only places to go from there are either you tax it again, or a new driver taxes it.

unfortunately this does mean the new owner has to tax it straight away, whereas if you sent notification by post, the new driver will certainly have a 2 day grace period while the snail mail does its thing - which in this case would just tip them over into December, and save them a months tax.

but either way, either you sorn the car on the 30th, and the buyer then needs November tax to drive home, so the buyer pays the extra month, or you snail mail the form to the DVLA, in which case the seller pays the extra month.

I think I've got it though - seller declares the car online as sorned at 11:55pm on 30th, and thus claims the full 3 months tax back, new buyer waits 10 minutes, and buys December tax at 12:05am on December 1st, then drives the car home with tax in place. that way, seller gets the full refund he is due, and buyer only pays for full months of road tax!

or if that's a bit tricky, you do... buyer buys car on 30th, drives it home. then when car is safely at home with new buyer, seller declares car as sorn online, then the buyer needs to buy tax the next day before he drives the car (assuming car is not kept the street)

phew! easy really!

• Like 2

They quote that you don't have to apply for your rebate, they will automatically

send it to you...so what date do they apply to the rebate, the date of sale,,the date they receive

the V5 filled in..They seem to make this bit up as they go along. My car was sold on the 30th November

and all paperwork said 30th Nov..maybe they did not get the new log book request for a few days in

Dec..surely it should go on the date of sale...!!! :scare: :scare:

As stated numerous times already, it's the date that they deem the paperwork "processed" - i.e. the date that the V5C is fed through their system. It doesn't matter what date is stated on the V5C, it never has.

Theoretically, it can spend 3 weeks lost in a Royal Mail sorting office, a further 2 weeks sat in a massive pile of post in the DVLA office then being lost down the back of a cupboard for three months before being found by the cleaner who puts it back on the pile of post for it to be opened the next day when it's fed through the system.

Or, it could be delivered by Royal Mail the day after it's been posted, opened first thing in the morning and processed less than 24 hours after it left you.

That has always been the case.

The general guideline made readily available by the DVLA is the same "14 day turnaround" that it's always been with the same "it could be more if we're busy, it could be less if we're not" caveat that there has always been.

The refund is based on the date that the DVLA deem it processed. Nothing else. As it always has been.

unfortunately this does mean the new owner has to tax it straight away

This is already the case, regardless of the previous owners actions.

whereas if you sent notification by post, the new driver will certainly have a 2 day grace period while the snail mail does its thing

That's not true. Well, it's not legal at least.

I think I've got it though - seller declares the car online as sorned at 11:55pm on 30th, and thus claims the full 3 months tax back, new buyer waits 10 minutes, and buys December tax at 12:05am on December 1st, then drives the car home with tax in place. that way, seller gets the full refund he is due, and buyer only pays for full months of road tax!

Or the seller declares the car SORN on 28th/30th/31st of the month (assuming it's not parked on the road or driven afterwards, of course) & the buyer collects the car at any time the following day and pays the tax before s/he drives off. It doesn't have to be done at midnight or within minutes of each other.

or if that's a bit tricky, you do... buyer buys car on 30th, drives it home. then when car is safely at home with new buyer, seller declares car as sorn online, then the buyer needs to buy tax the next day before he drives the car (assuming car is not kept the street)

This isn't any more legal than driving it home after it's been declared SORN, it merely reduced the risk of being caught by ANPR cameras.

phew! easy really!

I thought so too, but apparently not.

(Car) tax doesn't have to be taxing

THEN DON'T MAKE IT SO BLOODY DIFFICULT YOU 'TARDS

Going through an issue myself right now, and it's all just a bit irritating. Databases are great, but only when the people using them bother to update them.

The over lap is making them £££££'s they won't change it.

If the car had been sold in the middle of the month (November) you would have got December back - they would not refund the last 2 weeks BUT the new owner would also have had to TAX for a full month so they would have been paid for 2 weeks in November by you plus 4 weeks in November by the new owner (Chris) so they make 6 weeks Tax from the same car, you sold it in November but didn't get December back, if Chris taxed it to drive home on the 30th Nov then the Tax presumably started 1st Nov (to make him legal on the way home) so they got November and December from him and November and December from you, that's doubled what the car actually owed them.

Sucks don't it,

On a side note for car Tax -

I was talking to a car dealer and he pointed out that he was bored so did the maths on paying car tax and if you pay by DD with a 10% (or whatever it is) surcharge the APR is something like 40% which is quite high to say the least :scare: Don't ask me the finer points he did explain it but I can't remember the exact details.

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 1

Wow this thread is . . umm something :lol:

Why don't you just add the amount of tax remaining to the sale price of the car, that way you get all your money back and the new owner gets a car that is taxed for x amount of months.

:shrug:

Every car I sold in the UK, I did the above since I can be arsed to deal with the DVLA . . No Tax to deal with here :yahoo:

• Like 1

It was always an incentive to sell a car with tax, so yes you may have lost x amount of months you paid for but the car was sold and more importantly the new owner wasnt going to have to pay for the tax again, which in the case mentioned, he has or is.

Whether its in the t and c or not is a con, why should you or me pay for dvla dragging their heels, if you can tax a car on line to start that day, why cant you end tax on a specific date?

• Like 1

Wow this thread is . . umm something :lol:

Why don't you just add the amount of tax remaining to the sale price of the car, that way you get all your money back and the new owner gets a car that is taxed for x amount of months.

:shrug:

Every car I sold in the UK, I did the above since I can be arsed to deal with the DVLA . . No Tax to deal with here :yahoo:

:bangin: No longer the case this side of the pond Jim :shrug:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/vehicle-tax-changes-make-sure-you-know-the-new-rules-from-1-october-or-risk-1000-fine-9690815.html

This is from the DVLA :

Sellers who notify the authority will automatically get a full refund for the

time left on the disc but buyers will have to pay for new tax.

There was 3 month left on my disc..!!

They paid me two, that's the bottom line....THIEVES.. :rant: :rant:

When you sent it off, yes there was. When they received it, no there wasn't. Again, one is irrelevant, and again, it's not the latter. :bang:

Whether its in the t and c or not is a con, why should you or me pay for dvla dragging their heels, if you can tax a car on line to start that day, why cant you end tax on a specific date?

I absolutely agree that, that should be the case, but it's not. It never has been. It's highly unlikely that it ever will be either. I wouldn't call it a con as such but I do certainly agree that the DVLA are taking advantage of the system they themselves have imposed. Which is unusual for a Government agency after all...

• Like 2

When you sent it off, yes there was. When they received it, no there wasn't. Again, one is irrelevant, and again, it's not the latter. :bang:

I absolutely agree that, that should be the case, but it's not. It never has been. It's highly unlikely that it ever will be either. I wouldn't call it a con as such but I do certainly agree that the DVLA are taking advantage of the system they themselves have imposed. Which is unusual for a Government agency after all...

Well the plot thickens as it states on the log book vehicle acquired

on 30/11/2014. This should mean that I'm not responsible for the vehicle tax for Dec according

to the DVLA web site...Sellers who notify the authority will automatically get a full refund for the

time left on the disc but buyers will have to pay for new tax. :scare: :scare:

The rules are that you only receive full months when PROCESSED.

When they process it not when the car is sold.

Or would you like them to put the date when they processed it on the sale date?

Now that would be interesting...

They processed the refund in Jan after many phone calls and email, in that case they

should not have paid me for Jan either...they make up the rules as thy go along. :scare: