Porsche Caymen

jimmy1280

One of very few natural progressions from a Zed for me, they are delightful to drive quick, are pretty fast and are well worth a look if you can live with two seats and not much boot :)

ETA: Solely as a drivers car I struggle to see how anyone can prefer a Zed but its a matter of taste I suppose ............ 1350KG, mid engined Porsche that cost twice what a Zed did when new says it all for me ;)

Edited by docwra
  • Like 1

One of very few natural progressions from a Zed for me, they are delightful to drive quick, are pretty fast and are well worth a look if you can live with two seats and not much boot :)

ETA: Solely as a drivers car I struggle to see how anyone can prefer a Zed but its a matter of taste I suppose ............ 1350KG, mid engined Porsche that cost twice what a Zed did when new says it all for me ;)

I actually stopped posting on a Jag forum when I talked about looking at a Cayman and a few members there said they are not drivers cars :lol:

In a different league to a Zed, IMO, not a massive amount in it performance wise but as a package it is far superior, styling wise I can see why some wouldn't like it and also the badge snobbery would put a few people off too

• Like 1

When I think of what my next car will be, a cayman always pops into my head.

The only issue I have is that when I look at caymans in my budget they just look imo a bit rubbish compared to the newer models.

Not that they're ugly just that the new line up of porsches are stunning.

The new boxster is outrageously good looking imo.

• Like 1

I took a 2005 boxster 3.2s out for a test drive last night, it suits my driving style soo much more than the 350z. A mate owns it so was happy for me to drive it normally.

The feel on turn in was great, you could place the car where you want it, nice power delivery top end, great noise, similar economy to the 350z in my use, stereo was better in standard form.

I will be doing a little more research about the engines before looking at any more as I know the 3.2s can have some issues and the 3.4s is a touch over budget at the moment

Same here the 3.4 is still a little bit more than I'd like to pay for a second car but if the right one comes up I would be tempted,

I've recently bought a 2012 Cayman R, completely love it!!

IMG_1930.jpg

IMG_1932.jpg

IMG_1929.jpg

Great cars :)

I took a 2005 boxster 3.2s out for a test drive last night, it suits my driving style soo much more than the 350z. A mate owns it so was happy for me to drive it normally.

The feel on turn in was great, you could place the car where you want it, nice power delivery top end, great noise, similar economy to the 350z in my use, stereo was better in standard form.

I will be doing a little more research about the engines before looking at any more as I know the 3.2s can have some issues and the 3.4s is a touch over budget at the moment

Know exactly what you mean mate look at pics below of the 2012 awesome looks

The only issue I have is that when I look at caymans in my budget they just look imo a bit rubbish compared to the newer models.

• Like 1

987 looks better over the rear quarter, but the 981 trumps it everywhere else. So perfectly designed, and now better looking than the 911.

987S is the best usable every day car you can buy for that kind of money, end of. Sure, you take a punt on IMS/bore score issues on a gen1, but then all cars have their foibles and the 9x6/9x7 range is no different. Even if you ignored the performance figures, nothing prepares you for just how well balanced the car is. In terms of modding, just be prepared to take a massive step up in costs, but in terms of overall running they're no different than the Zed. Better fuel economy too!

They didn't make a 3.2L Cayman, it was always a 3.4 from the factory and gen1 cars are just as likely to have issues as the 986 3.2 cars. The only ones that definitely do not are the gen2 cars, as they do not have the IMS to fail. Only the gen2 3.4 is a DFI lump, though. What's the budget?

• Like 1

I had a Porsche Cayman S, on a 59' plate for 2 days, just to see what I thought as a possible upgrade.

It drives exquisitely. It has phenomenal balance and poise on the road, a great driving feel, good feedback, never puts a foot wrong whatever you wish to do to it. The one I drove had a very decent options list including PASM, Nav, 19" Wheels etc etc, so was pretty good as far as Cayman S's go.

However.....

I have to say, I found it quite boring after the first day with it. I wondered whether it might come back to me, excitement-wise, but it didn't. It's the same problem I seem to have with all the German rivals. It doesn't have the excitement factor for me. My cheapy little zed does occasionally widen my eyes and make me clench a bit if cornering hard, whereas the Cayman S just didn't do that for me, which is a mark of how fantastically engineered it is I suppose, but again, that's not what I'm looking for. It is so much a case of 'to each their own' though... Some people like to drive a car to its absolute maximum, and it not fall off the edge of the cliff, if you get my meaning. I don't think the fact that the Cayman S is over-engineered makes it any LESS of a drivers' car, it's just not personally what I look for... :)

Wow, I really got into that response!!!

• Like 2

Know exactly what you mean mate look at pics below of the 2012 awesome looks

Exactly what im talking about lol.

That cayman R looks brilliant, everything about it body shape, how it sits, colour scheme etc it all looks top knotch.

Infact I seen a red techart cayman R n honestly couldnt see why anyone would buy a 911 now for looks.

• Like 1

Drove a 2012 on track along with a Lamborghini lp700 & a Ferrari 458. The cayman for me was as sublime to drive as the 458, just a little slower. :lol: The PDK box was a treat wit the Lamborghini feeling agricultural by comparison. I would have a cayman any day of the week.

• Like 1