remap completed

Dashurik

over 500 cars tuned in the UK/abroad with very few people not happy and still doing 4 to 5 cars a week.

As Olly says cars are getting cheaper so people think you don't need to spend money on the cars to get the best from then

What people also forget is the car engine'sensors degrade over the years especially the lambda sensors so a remap allows us to re-configure the tune for best performance as the cars get older we arent going to get the same gains from an older engine than a new lower mileage motor.

Being NA we arent going to get 40+ bhp gains , as people have said drive a stock 350Z then drive oyur tuned car there is a difference between then , the tuned car is far smoother, more responsive and the tune is safer.

• Like 4

Why is it only this past year that people are now saying they can't feel any difference after the UpRev? Something must have changed! You don't get 5+ years of great reviews and then all of a sudden they're all crap for nothing.

The cars have become more affordable....

meaning??

Similar experience for me when I had my previous 370 re-mapped. From the positive things I'd read from other 370 owners I think I was expecting too much. It didn't feel any different to me really, although I tried to tell myself it did. However, other 370 owners have felt a difference and are glad they had it done.

over 500 cars tuned in the UK/abroad with very few people not happy and still doing 4 to 5 cars a week.

As Olly says cars are getting cheaper so people think you don't need to spend money on the cars to get the best from then

What people also forget is the car engine'sensors degrade over the years especially the lambda sensors so a remap allows us to re-configure the tune for best performance as the cars get older we arent going to get the same gains from an older engine than a new lower mileage motor.

Being NA we arent going to get 40+ bhp gains , as people have said drive a stock 350Z then drive oyur tuned car there is a difference between then , the tuned car is far smoother, more responsive and the tune is safer.

Hi Mark!Good to see you on here.To make it clear again :Im not questioning Abbeys skills/knowledge and ability to do the work.No complains at all!

It makes sense in what you saying.May be I don't see any difference cause I had some of my mods for quite some time now and bought car with some mods already installed.Think we need to look at remap as a way to prolong the life of our cars after many ears of extensive use!

At least ,after this post,some people will look at remap differently and won't be expecting too much.In my eyes remap is way to keep your car in healthy way for longer!

Im thinking about getting an uprev, i have some motordyne art pipe decats ready to fit, then xyz hfc y pipe, plenum spacer done, custom 3" midpipe and pipercross filter fitted. So now im in a catch 22!!...do it fit the decats and y pipe and leave it...wondering if the upgrades will make a blind bit of difference without uprev or do i fit them and go for uprev!!? Im sure the ecu cancels any upgrades including decats and just reverts back to standard so you dont get any gains...if you DONT uprev!! HELP!!!!! :wacko:

Edited by zippypooz

Im thinking about getting an uprev, i have some motordyne art pipe decats ready to fit, then xyz hfc y pipe, plenum spacer done, custom 3" midpipe and pipercross filter fitted. So now im in a catch 22!!...do it fit the decats and y pipe and leave it...wondering if the upgrades will make a blind bit of difference without uprev or do i fit them and go for uprev!!? Im sure the ecu cancels any upgrades including decats and just reverts back to standard so you dont get any gains...if you DONT uprev!! HELP!!!!! :wacko:

You don't HAVE to remap once you've added the mods...

But does the ecu stop any changes to performance from taking place? As in override them?

Mark will know the answer to your question but my understanding is that the ECU on the 370 (and presumably the 350) re-adjusts so that any performance gains are negated without a remap. Of course, if you do mods primarily for sound rather than performance like me that doesn't really matter :)

• Like 1

But does the ecu stop any changes to performance from taking place? As in override them?

Have a look here for Marks explanation of the ECUs response,http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/92887-before-before-after-dynos-abbey/page__st__40#entry1399098

Personally after looking at the target AFR map I am inclined to think that breathing mods added to the VQ and probably the HR are not really enough to make that big a difference anyway, Mark said that most of the gains come from tweaking the ignition timing, and what looks to me like a quite small AFR adjustment, so I am inclined to think that its purely down to minor tweaks to the ECU that make the difference,

like I have said before I would really like to see what remapping a completely std car would achieve?

I am also curious just what the difference is between the UK ECU and its lambda feedback is as opposed to the JDM model? as I have been told that the UK has wide-band lambdas so must use a slightly different and more precise target AFR map?

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

Must admit I was expecting to open this thread to see 'feels amazing worth every penny' - your gains are not particularly big so not surprised you can't feel anything.

The appeal of the uprev is the 'drivability' which I must admit I felt when I had mine done, but, it was no different to when I had the throttle controller on the car which cost me £65 and a 2 minute install. If I ever got a zed again I would not do the uprev simply because in my mind, its just not worth the money when there is a much cheaper option (for what I want in terms of low gear drive).

Can you come round mine and fit one :D

Must admit I was expecting to open this thread to see 'feels amazing worth every penny' - your gains are not particularly big so not surprised you can't feel anything.

The appeal of the uprev is the 'drivability' which I must admit I felt when I had mine done, but, it was no different to when I had the throttle controller on the car which cost me £65 and a 2 minute install. If I ever got a zed again I would not do the uprev simply because in my mind, its just not worth the money when there is a much cheaper option (for what I want in terms of low gear drive).

Can you come round mine and fit one :D

I am a complete anti-spanners man, I mean I have spanners, but may as well have no fingers and two left hands given the skill I attempt to brandish them with!

I just plugged it in, had the 5 steps of instructions about switching on the ignition, pressing the throttle down all the way, back up etc and it was done. Took a few minutes max even for a wally like me!

• Like 1

I wish they did the throttle controller for the HR engine, but unfortunately it's not available :(

Apexi do one for the HR ;)

Similar experience for me when I had my previous 370 re-mapped. From the positive things I'd read from other 370 owners I think I was expecting too much. It didn't feel any different to me really, although I tried to tell myself it did. However, other 370 owners have felt a difference and are glad they had it done.

My 370z kept breaking down after having it UPREV'ed

Personally from my experience I'd say unless you going FI it's not worth the money, but a good idea if your fitting de-cats as the car will run a little leaner with no cats

• Like 2

:lol: good call, i might get rid of mine then if its not needed, i presume it would just do the same thing and cancel itself out with an uprev anyway

If you get the UpRev it's not needed at all, ...regardless of whether you're supercharged, turbocharged or N/A. B);)

Edit: Hurry up already btw. :teeth:

Edited by GMballistic

It's just speculation but I wonder whether Uprev gains are more noticeable for those who drive on a lightish throttle using the torque and mid-range as their preferred driving style?

I noticed the difference, particularly the elimination of that "flat spot" (for want of a better description). I also noted smoother response. However, I also wanted to ensure car was mapped properly given the mods I'd had (particularly the high flow cats).

• Like 1

It's just speculation but I wonder whether Uprev gains are more noticeable for those who drive on a lightish throttle using the torque and mid-range as their preferred driving style?

I noticed the difference, particularly the elimination of that "flat spot" (for want of a better description). I also noted smoother response. However, I also wanted to ensure car was mapped properly given the mods I'd had (particularly the high flow cats).

Id like to know how much difference de cats make to an uprev, maybe some are just not modding enough to make a difference after having an uprev done. I suppose the more mods you do the more gains youll get. id have thought fitting de cats with xyz y pipe plus the usual filters, plenum spacers etc etc would produce more noticable gains than not de catting and y piping!!

All this talk of using Up-rev with a FI engine has got me thinking.....I remember Mark mentioning that the VQ ECU has not knock monitoring at over 5,000RPM now this would worry me greatly, (unless there is some way of reinstating it during up-rev tune? but I somehow doubt it)

Now I know from experience that you can map for safety and keep fueling on the rich side and the timing on the safe side of advanced when mapping, however it would worry me that there is no knock control should you get a bad batch of fuel or something else go wrong, I think I would always go for a decent stand alone ECU that has all the safety features.