Village Life

StevoD

Kinda feel like everyones missed my point as usual :( everyones getting but hurt over fireworks

Might Just expect people to ban christmas shopping on anyday expect the 24/12 as there causing me to take an extra 2 hours to get in the town centre for a meeting and my life is so much more important than theres

Now I kinda feel you're missing everyone else's point.

It's about having respect for your neighbours, ultimately.

Kinda feel like everyones missed my point as usual :( everyones getting but hurt over fireworks

Might Just expect people to ban christmas shopping on anyday expect the 24/12 as there causing me to take an extra 2 hours to get in the town centre for a meeting and my life is so much more important than theres

Now I kinda feel you're missing everyone else's point.

It's about having respect for your neighbours, ultimately.

So because anything ever could offend the people across the street i bet do nothing but sit in a dark room?

i can understand if your doing it everynight all year at silly times of the night but whats the issue of doing over the week period on 1 night or should i knock on everyones door in a 5 miles radius and check what night there happy for me to do it,

I do think there should be a register on a council website that you must post location and time you plan to set off fire works, but that doesn't solve the issue of 7 different groups only being able to congregate on 7 different days

But then they should be respect the fact we can about our lawful business or should lets say 100 people have to drop everything for one person

explain it to me then as all im seeing is everyone saying groups in a set area should respect 1 persons in the community who finds everyones lawful business a inconvenience to them

not the case that 1 person should respect the wishes of 7 groups of people for the inconvenience of 3-4 nights for maybe 30-40 minutes a night total

I love fireworks, bonfires and the winter BBQ too .

I do not own dogs but actually find this irrelevant, (not being rude to the dog owners) as I do not actually see why we need fireworks more than on the 5th November or a few days either side.

I am sure years back this was how it was and pet owners prepared in whatever way they could - knowing it was for a very limited time.

If we try an accomodate everybody on everything, we would have fireworks any day or night throughout the year - which is what happens in many of the Southern European and Latin American Countries...........Maybe we should think ourselves lucky.

Serioulsy - What about Hypnosis for Dogs for Fireworks ? There must be something to help calm dear Pooch.

• Like 2

No, I don't live in a little village or know any any villages who've lost their idiots, but my dogs certainly never barked at fireworks - sounds like they need better training!
ummm train something that's petrified of the loud noises to not be afraid?

It's a well known fact that pet owners fear for their animals on fire work night...

#teamtarmac

I don't think being worried about your dog is necesarily being pompous.

This.

November the 5th is supposed to be "Fireworks night" but it has become sociably acceptable to set off fireworks now either the closest weekend/weeknights or the following weekend/weeknights if the weather isn't good enough on the actual day. So in effect "Fireworks night" is more like "Fireworks fortnight". :thumbdown:

We have a family dog that is now 11years old, ...he is terrified every time fireworks go off. Doesn't bark just hides around the house in whatever confined space he can lodge himself into.

In fact on Saturday evening he pi**ed & sh*t in the house as we couldn't let him out all evening & he was too frightened to go to the loo when we tried to get him to go.

Anyone who loves their animals (dogs or cats) will no doubt understand this but others won't who will no doubt just say well it's your own fault he's not trained right, blah blah blah.

The fact is he is a loving social family pet, ...not a gun dog or working dog trained for use in a war zone. He has no idea & no understanding of fireworks or that they do not harm you when let off in the sky.

Personally I'd like to see some sort of change in attitude to fireworks being used around this time of year with them only being used on the 5th of November or the closest weekend but that is never going to happen I know.

...And maybe that's a selfish thing to think but I think it's pretty selfish of others not to think about other peoples pets that may be affected by fireworks.

Just my 2 pence.

Totally agree with this. I don't live on a village but I do live in an area with a lot of spoilt little kids and their indulgent parents. We've had fireworks going off every night for well over a week, including a night when one family decided to let off a load of them from their garden but angled them I such a way that a lot of the debris landed on cars in our street. Our cats have been completely terrified (a training issue...?!?).

While I don't begrudge anyone a good time, it's about balance and thinking about the impact our behaviour has on others. As said, on bonfire night and (if that's a weekday) one night at the weekend, would be enough. I would be in total agreement with the guy who posted the message referred to in the original post. I'd also prefer to see people go to organised displays.

Edited by sipar69

Oh for god's sakes! We all do something that'll ultimately **** someone off, it's life and everyone has an opinion and lord knows don't they differ. You just have to learn to exercise some tolerance, bite your tongue as well as your fist. Someone wrote a snotogram in a village.. ooofff. They'll probably write another soon enough. Someone's shoes were too loud for a Sunday morning perhaps.

Just drive your zed into the middle of no where, get out, stand on the roof (carefully) and scream at the sky. Or just punch some villager who looks like they've recently written a letter, in the face. You just might feel better.

Edited by Rock_Steady
  • Like 2

I fuxking love fireworks!!!! Just thought id put that out there :lol:

I'm with you on that thought. I'm a bit of a pyromaniac!!

You'd like what i help to set up on saturday at Warlingham.. identical display to this one at chessington the week before, same organisers just i couldnt make it to the 1st, but did on the 8th lol!

Don't worry peeps the fireworks will be going off again on Dec 24 and then the 31st and then some ones birthday then a wedding etc.

On the dog side of things, they can be trained. In my case the dogs get over excited as they think they will going out. They think it's the sound off the shoot/guns.

(in my small village there are shoots 4 days a week from October to February so fireworks are just a little less noise that happens in the dark for a week) :shrug:

Whooops I said 'guns' that might stars another thread.

• Like 1

Dont see the big deal TBH - my neighbours park in front of my house, the dustmen wake me up when they come round and the kids seem to only be able to communicate in shrieks round here but thats part of village life IMO.

Appreciate that fireworks scare animals (the missuses stable looked like a dirty protest on Sunday :lol: ) but so do low flying planes, big crowds and loud cars. FFS man, cats get flattened by cars but we dont ban them from driving about, do we? As someone else said, its only a couple of days a year and a couple of hours at most, Im sure there are bigger issues to worry about .......... and if there isnt youre in a nice place :)

• Like 3

Dont see the big deal TBH - my neighbours park in front of my house, the dustmen wake me up when they come round and the kids seem to only be able to communicate in shrieks round here but thats part of village life IMO.

Appreciate that fireworks scare animals (the missuses stable looked like a dirty protest on Sunday :lol: ) but so do low flying planes, big crowds and loud cars. FFS man, cats get flattened by cars but we dont ban them from driving about, do we? As someone else said, its only a couple of days a year and a couple of hours at most, Im sure there are bigger issues to worry about .......... and if there isnt youre in a nice place :)

I think only one person has suggested banning them. It's definitely not a matter of days where I live - more like a fortnight with a peak that lasts about a week. If people enjoy fireworks fine - I personally don't but I accept that there is a time of year when other people want to use them. It would just be good if it didn't go on for so long. People who don't own pets probably wonder what all the fuss is about but I hate seeing our cats cowering about in fear for at least a week. They're part of the family after all. :)

• Like 1

You'd like what i help to set up on saturday at Warlingham.. identical display to this one at chessington the week before, same organisers just i couldnt make it to the 1st, but did on the 8th lol!

Can't watch the video at work, but will tonight.

I actually looked into getting my firing licence, but it's not that easy. I'd love to turn my polishing workshop into a firework manufacturing plant!!!!! BOOOOOM!!! :lol:

• Like 2

On the dog side of things, they can be trained.

I'm staying well out of the actual argument, but yes dogs can be trained to fireworks or any noises they're scared of for that matter. There are plenty of sound effect CD's or specific dog training CDs, put it on at low volume and slowly build the volume up over time et voila... just don't put it on so loud that you annoy the person that commented on FB in the OP. ;)

The law does not prevent fireworks being let off all year round, providing it is not between 11pm and 7am, except on bonfire night when it is extended to midnight and 1 am on New Year's Eve, Diweli and Chinese New.

https://www.gov.uk/fireworks-the-law

So whatever your point of view things ain't about to change anytime soon unless enough complaints are made to stir the politicans up - but please, please, not on this forum :headhurt:

• Like 1

I actually looked into getting my firing licence, but it's not that easy. I'd love to turn my polishing workshop into a firework manufacturing plant!!!!! BOOOOOM!!! :lol:

That'll do more than scare Daisy :lol:

That'll do more than scare Daisy :lol:

Funny enough she doesn't seem bothered by fireworks, not that a great deal went off this year.

I dont have a licence but the guy we volunteer for does, and he does it out his own pocket plus whatever he gets back on tickets as far as im away! the set up was manic! soo much wiring as its all done choreographed with the music too!

I've actually got my own remote firing kit. I think it's a 32 bank.

Made my own rocket launching device a few years ago. 10 rocket tubes on a rack, wired up to my remote unit along with 22 other fireworks and sit back and relax just pressing buttons.

It even has a special key, just to make you feel like a right pyromaniac!! :lol:

Would love to get back into it again but fireworks have doubled in price over the last two years.

• Like 1