iPad Mini Install (OBDII Dash Command!!) Page 10

Wasso

It's expensive but would give you full functionality of your OEM head unit AND improve the sound quality. But wouldn't fix the sound dropping out. If you get an aftermarket stereo with Bluetooth, get a "StreamBlue" from America then your ipad will charge and connect to your head unit.

This below is the Audison Bit One (which I'm also running)

1331127989_bitone_image_2_800_454.png

how are you planning on keeping the ipad in the mount? I tried this with my Iphone 6+ but didnt get very far, I may give it another bash over the christmas with this guide to help.

Magnets, they're not fixed to the back of the pad tray yet only as I want to bed down all the major work first.

Basically glue a strip of magnets at the back and it won't move an inch.

Glad this is providing inspiration to others.

Okay so it takes a lot of work and you could pay someone a heap of cash, but this is so much more rewarding.

Any magnets in particular? I thought of that by buying an ipad mini case with the magnetic strip for the front cover in the hope of using that, but it doesnt attract to the phone, maybe iphones are made of different material?

how are you planning on keeping the ipad in the mount? I tried this with my Iphone 6+ but didnt get very far, I may give it another bash over the christmas with this guide to help.

Magnets, they're not fixed to the back of the pad tray yet only as I want to bed down all the major work first.

Basically glue a strip of magnets at the back and it won't move an inch.

Glad this is providing inspiration to others.

Okay so it takes a lot of work and you could pay someone a heap of cash, but this is so much more rewarding.

Any magnets in particular? I thought of that by buying an ipad mini case with the magnetic strip for the front cover in the hope of using that, but it doesnt attract to the phone, maybe iphones are made of different material?

You could have a valid point there. If you are going to include the lightning cable into your build, then yes that would partly secure, but you would need something else.

I'll see what I can find for you.

That might be the solution, I could try get a stronger one off ebay or something. Is there any chace of damaging the internals of the phone with a magnet?

I doubt damage will be caused, as technology has moved on somewhat. Remember the days of putting a speaker next to the TV and the magnet would interfere with the picture.

I would suggest getting 4 or 5 small square magnets, reasonable magnetic strength, and this should fix the issue.

Thanks for the help, will give it ago at christmas

If you hook up to the "Soundman" page on YouTube, actually it's not called a page is it, feed? I dunno...... anyway, watch his videos, and specifically anything ipad related, You'll get a huge amount of tips. He also has a forum, join up, loads of resource on there also.

I'm only saying that you done so much hard work this far, it would be a shame to have a small yet important detail spoil the overall look of it.

I'm sure Soundman will demand a premium, but I am sure if you trawl the Internet & eBay for components and brush up on your soldering skills, it will be the satisfying final touch

Have to agree, all that hard work and fabrication is spoils by a cable just poking out the side for me.... it's all in the detail

I'm only saying that you done so much hard work this far, it would be a shame to have a small yet important detail spoil the overall look of it.

I'm sure Soundman will demand a premium, but I am sure if you trawl the Internet & eBay for components and brush up on your soldering skills, it will be the satisfying final touch

Have to agree, all that hard work and fabrication is spoils by a cable just poking out the side for me.... it's all in the detail

To be fair you wouldn't have seen it as it would have been moulded into a fabricated cover and hidden behind the knee cushion. But as the 90 degree adapter is now fixing this issue all will be nice :teeth:

The car won't purely be all guns and blazing....... I wan't some civil lifestyle in the Zed, and the Audio completes that side of things. Otherwise if I had my way, half naked dancing girls would be on order. Edit - sorry fully naked :lol:

• Like 1

should do that, and while you're there, hook it up to a nightvision camera, then you can drive around without the lights on, lol

Now you're just being silly lol.

You could split screen, half for driving and the other side for watching TV ha ha.

Okay just uploading some pics of the updates from today......

Edited by Wasso

After Mark and his idea to ensure a perfect finish I set about purchasing the 30 pin to lightning adapter. Which as per the shots previous wasn't too hard to achieve. Although it was still a bit of a fiddle to get it in. To the point, I've had to fill and widen just slightly the right hand side by a mm or two. This was due to the metal housing inside just sticking up proud of the dash. So I put some protection for the electronics which was basically a section of latex glove for when I filled the area.

So today was fill, sand and shape. All that's left to do now is final sand to a super smooth finish with 1,200 grit. Then it's on to finishing the edges to make them look oem.

All is going very well, although I'm impatient and want to put the top coat on now just to see how it would look.

Enjoy the pics, and between Christmas and New Year I'll be hoping to complete.

07B4D6A0-C6D5-44E8-AE3E-758D35769246_zpsc0o8u3mk.jpg

261C6150-C685-4800-AFB0-C7C36D57179D_zpslo9xvgb9.jpg

E6CB6BB4-1131-47D5-BDF5-9B1FF52989A4_zpstxnd2tar.jpg

7C64A213-4663-431C-B507-A2EAD3A35A37_zpseebpr9mo.jpg

45ED5FB9-384E-40D3-A060-97B89722EFD4_zpsx8qbu1nn.jpg

Also don't pay attention to the "rough" finish for where the ipad will go. This will be covered with suede for a clean look.

Edited by Wasso
  • Like 4