New to winter tyres

Bear11

quick question for those that run winter tyres, when do you actually change to them?

I've read that it should be when the temperature drops to around 8 degrees or is it worth waiting until we start getting the first flurry of the white stuff?

Also, stupid question but will most tyre places be happy to just swap the tyres over as I've only really used tyre places to supply and fit tyres before.

Depends on the winter tyres themselves, as a general rule of thumb, below 8degC is reasonable as if it's any higher, you'll probably loosing tyre threads quicker (I might be wrong). Most tyres shop will swap them for you for a minimum fee of £10 to £15 each (fitted and balanced).

Although the temperature drop is advised.

Can be worth the extra tyre wear which is lost if putting them on in warmer temperatures as I would consider swappping sooner if ongoing rain is forecast though - much more grip.

I would hold off just now, I mean unless you're driving like a tool then you will be fine until the really cold months. I didn't change mine last year or the year before, small drops of snow and ice and it was fine.

Hopefully its a warm winter again!

• Like 1

you're advised to switch when the temperature at the time at which you'll be driving the car drops below 7 degrees. so even if it gets up to 12 degrees at midday, if its only 5 degrees when you leave for work in the morning, you're better off with winters.

used properly i'd think winters would go on mid november and not come off again until mid march - so regardless of actual snow - remember they're winter tyres, not snow tyres.

my new car is a dull SUV for the family, but when tyre change time comes round I shall be getting a set of Pirelli scorpion verde all weather

designed specifically for big 4x4 and covers most eventualities regarding terrain and temperature. its an all season tyre that should offer a nice all round balance. for my my car

this wont help you but I was rather pleased to find a happy medium for my new car.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a set of spare alloys fitted with Winter tyres for the missus's CR-V. Living in northern Scotland, I usually put them on in October and take them off in March but it has been unusually mild so I haven't fitted them yet this year. Freezing today though so I'll do them this weekend.

A set of spare alloys is a good way to go as others have said. By changing the wheels yourself you save paying to have the tyres swapped twice a year; you avoid having your good alloys accidentally damaged by a garage; and you can sell the spare set when you sell the car. I bought a set of cheap discounted Wolfies from this place http://www.wheelbasealloys.com/ a few years ago and they've been fine. I've fitted them with Vredestein Wintrac Extremes which I can recommend.

I don't put Winter tyres on my Z. Instead, I bought a tidy 2004 Suzuki Jimny which I use whenever there's snow or the roads are icy. It's cheap to run, reliable, and has proper switchable 4 wheel drive (rear wheel, 4 wheel hi and 4 wheel lo). In 4 wheel lo it will get through anything and it's also a useful car for abandoning in town on nights out etc (which I'd never do with the Z)!!!