Audi R8 Prices Drifting Up?

Dynamic Turtle

Surprised to see this - after drifting very slowly down to the £35-37k mark, at the bottom end of the market, they seem to be heading north up to the £42-44k region? Apart from being a supposedly good car (never experienced one in the flesh myself) is there a particular reason why it's defying gravity? Was hoping these would be £30k by now :-(

It's an Audi its a good one which are a rare thing so you have both build quality & a well balanced V8 rich car that will be remebered. The B7 RS4 is going the same way price wise unlike the new RS4, RS6 & TTRS etc etc. RSQ3 i suspect will go the same way as it too seems to be a good'un.

You see this with 350's as well. One day you will see them at £5k, then a week later the cheapest is £6.5k. It's not because the prices are rising, it's just the scrap at the bottom of the barrel has all been bought up.

Kyle it doesn't seem to be a random drop - they appear to have enjoyed fantastic residuals which has surprised me given that it's volume production Audi with that 4.2 FSIs reputation for high running costs and allegedly terrible R-tronic box.

Do you think the Gallardo DNA means that it's always going to be influenced by its stablemate's residuals? I guess the basis between would logically exhibit a degree of correlation.

Kyle it doesn't seem to be a random drop - they appear to have enjoyed fantastic residuals which has surprised me given that it's volume production Audi with that 4.2 FSIs reputation for high running costs and allegedly terrible R-tronic box.

Do you think the Gallardo DNA means that it's always going to be influenced by its stablemate's residuals? I guess the basis between would logically exhibit a degree of correlation.

Personally i see them as worlds apart, even though they are the same platform, anyone who wants a Lamborghini isnt going to be swung into a R8 imho.

My world is changing next year and hoping to stretch to a Gallardo, but it would be one hell of squeeze the way things look at the moment, R8 will be within budget, but not a chance i would want one :)

Aren't Gallordos known for catching on fire?

Just had a look on google ~ seen a few videos of them catching fire at speed but they where all modified from standard but after looking further it does seem that Lambo did a recall on certain years.

Lamborghini is recalling 1,491 Gallardo Coupe and Spyder models to fix pipes that could leak power-steering fluid onto a hot engine and cause a fire.

Under hard driving, high-pressure pipes near the hydraulic steering pump can emit chlorine, which can then react with water to eat away part of the metal pipe, according to filingswith the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Leaking fluid could then result in a fire. Gallardo models from 2004, the first model year, through 2006 are affected. In its filings, Lamborghini included Gallardo models built through April 2008, but for some reason it did not specify models from the 2007, 2008 or 2009 model years in the recall.

Link: http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/autosblogpost.aspx?post=21bc5c89-5753-4491-b871-52bdadf9a677

;)

• Like 1

Aren't Gallordos known for catching on fire?

Just had a look on google ~ seen a few videos of them catching fire at speed but they where all modified from standard but after looking further it does seem that Lambo did a recall on certain years.

Lamborghiniis recalling 1,491 Gallardo Coupe and Spyder models to fix pipes that could leak power-steering fluid onto a hot engine and cause a fire.

Under hard driving, high-pressure pipes near the hydraulic steering pump can emit chlorine, which can then react with water to eat away part of the metal pipe, according to filingswith the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Leaking fluid could then result in a fire. Gallardo models from 2004, the first model year, through 2006 are affected. In its filings, Lamborghini included Gallardo models built through April 2008, but for some reason it did not specify models from the 2007, 2008 or 2009 model years in the recall.

Link: http://editorial.aut...71-52bdadf9a677

;)

all the great cars go on fire ..look at the GT3 Rs

• Like 2

Surprised to see this - after drifting very slowly down to the £35-37k mark, at the bottom end of the market, they seem to be heading north up to the £42-44k region? Apart from being a supposedly good car (never experienced one in the flesh myself) is there a particular reason why it's defying gravity? Was hoping these would be £30k by now :-(

why were you looking ? are you tempted ?

Drivel. My Gallardo never set on fire.

Bores me seeing people perpetuating myths they know nothing of other than youtube videos

Well actually it's not drivel at all.

Vehicle manufacturers don't just willy nilly do recalls so it was obviously a real concern. Maybe it did not happen to yours but 1491 where recalled in the US.

Source: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM425857/RCDNN-12V430-9501.pdf

• Like 1

Bores me seeing people perpetuating myths they know nothing of other than youtube videos

Vehicle manufacturers don't just willy nilly do recalls so it was obviously a real concern. Maybe it did not happen to yours but 1491 where recalled in the US.

Source: http://www-odi.nhtsa...12V430-9501.pdf

Just a feeble excuse for a pic, don't sweat it ;)

• Like 2

Just a feeble excuse for a pic, don't sweat it ;)

:lol: I'm chilled. :D

Just hardly a "myth" though is it. ;)

How many UK recalls?

None.

Number of incidents is miniscule just magnified by dickheads taking photo's and posting them online........and then perpetuating the myths that "don't all Gallardo's catch fire??"

How many UK recalls?

None.

Number of incidents is miniscule just magnified by dickheads taking photo's and posting them online........and then perpetuating the myths that "don't all Gallardo's catch fire??"

I don't think it was actioned as a recall in the UK more so as a "service action" here.

The only recall I have heard/read about here in the UK for them was for 143 Gallardo's regarding a brake disc problem. Source: http://www.autoexpre...k-cars-affected

I have however heard of at least one UK Gallardo owner who's car did have his power steering pipe burst, ...this did not cause a fire in his case but could have. He was a member on Pistonheads.

P101 ~ Friday 21st September 2012 quote.gifquoteAll.gif

About a year ago the power steering pipe burst on my old 05 Gallardo, on phoning a Lambo dealership I was quoted an astronomical amount to get it replaced, they didnt mention any recall at that time. I got Mike Pullen of Carerra sport to do the job, I think it cost Couple of hundred quid.

I've got nothing against Lambo Gallardo's nor do I think that they'll all burst into flames but your language seems to indicate it really upsets you for some strange reason. :shrug:

Some people will always peddle things like this on the internet Sarnie, whether you believe it or not is up to you. I for one don't think all Gallardo's will catch fire just like I don't believe all GT3's will catch fire.

At least you've been lucky enough to own a Lambo, ...not that many people have or will. :thumbs:

Edited by GMballistic

Not yet as I was hoping they'd be in the more achievable £30k territory by now, as per my original post.

Really struggling to find anything interesting under £30k that wasn't disappointing or involve monster running costs so I'll either be keeping the 350 for a lot longer or doing the very predictable "upgrade" to a 370 soon. Test driven the C63, 996 C2, 4200GS, Vantage 4.3 and XK 4.2. Evora, Cayman and E92 still on the to-do list. C63 was the best of a bad bunch thus far (monstrous torque and messerschmitt noise) but just looks like a C class with 4 tailpipes i.e. not the gusset-moistener it needs to be...

• Like 1

Not yet as I was hoping they'd be in the more achievable £30k territory by now, as per my original post.

Really struggling to find anything interesting under £30k that wasn't disappointing or involve monster running costs so I'll either be keeping the 350 for a lot longer or doing the very predictable "upgrade" to a 370 soon. Test driven the C63, 996 C2, 4200GS, Vantage 4.3 and XK 4.2. Evora, Cayman and E92 still on the to-do list. C63 was the best of a bad bunch thus far (monstrous torque and messerschmitt noise) but just looks like a C class with 4 tailpipes i.e. not the gusset-moistener it needs to be...

*cough cough* e63 M6 ;)

*cough cough* e63 M6 ;)

If he thinks a C63 is better drive than Cayman theres not a lot of hope TBH.

*cough cough* e63 M6 ;)

If he thinks a C63 is better drive than Cayman theres not a lot of hope TBH.

I think the "gusset-moistener it needs to be" speaks volumes, which to be fair, is absolutely fine if thats the preferential box that needs to be ticked :)

We all have those boxes that we want ticking when buying a car, best drive isnt always at the top, would be a bit boring if we all wanted the same thing from a car :)

I haven't driven a Cayman yet and am well aware of its reputation. I think the reason is the 996 left me cold so I didn't think a 3.4 Cayman would be any better. But they must be different and probably a lower running cost proposition so I should get around to ticking the box. The 996TT would simply be too expensive to run, which is why I'm also reticent to get the Gransport despite the glorious noise and lurvely interior. The cambiocorsa is a bit slow in full auto.

I appreciate that I'm looking at a mix of GTs and sports coupes here so it's not really apples v apples.

Gusset-moistening is incredibly important - I just don't see the point on dropping this kind of money on a car to have the ladies ignore you. Despite that monster engine I feel the C63 (and maybe the E92) would be seen as just another Eurobox. And yes I appreciate this is all deeply juvenile...