Goodbye GrunDy's Engine...

Grundy

Sorry to hear your pain Grundy! You'll be back in no time.

WRT building a forged engine give me a call. I have a spare block and some parts I did not use with my build in the states and can get you under your estimate. Pm me if you are interested.

Matt I know it's not an easy decision to make and you're not in the best situation financially just now but it'll come good in the end I'm sure.

Personally if it was me I'd take this opportunity (if you really love the Zed) to make it a V8 or forged engine or FI especially if you plan to keep the car long term (eg 5-8 years + at least).

To afford my supercharger mate you have no idea how much stuff I sold & how much I saved. Haven't eaten out, been on holiday or anything in years, ..gave up smoking cigarettes and other small joys like buying magazines etc when I wanted.

Went round my bedroom/garage & sold; old toys, airguns galore, Dremel accessories, old car parts, lighters, ashtrays, magic tricks (bought in the USA when I was 14/15), jewellery, r/c cars, r/c car parts, model kits, PS3 games, unused car bulbs/LED's etc etc think you get the idea. :D

Sold so much stuff on eBay that my account actually got suspended at one point as I breached some sort of income limit. :surrender::lol:

I'm sure if you can start doing something like that it will help your finances as it's amazing how much stuff we accumulate that really just sits there doing nothing.

Good luck and if I can help at all I will ~ I'll get a Lotto ticket for Friday so you never know. :thumbs:

Edited by GMballistic

FWIW, my thoughts:

- V8 so a LS/JZ/RB, Anythings possible at the Zed shed, however this could potentially be the most expensive option. I need to do a lot of research into it, but i'm probably looking at £10k+ for this work - I need to have a chat with Wasso and Bizz. Unless you think you'll have £15K spare, I wouldn't go down this route. Given your situation now, and the fluidity of it, I'd discount this straight away.

- Forged Engine Build - Straight up around £7.5K. See above.

- Buy another DE Engine - £1000-£2000, the only issue with this is, it's like a lottery. I could buy a mint engine, or I could buy a dog of an engine. You can get the engine tested and everything before it goes in. You worry about this applies equally to the V8 swap or the forged engine build: Really, you never know it'll all be fine until you get it running. Even if you bought brand-new, it could still be a duffer!

- Buy another Zed (Cat C/D) Or something with Rear end damage ( Or any damage) - This way I can drive the car and get a feel for the engine etc. Plus I can then split the car and sell spares etc. - Not a bad option at all, if you have the time and space.

- Keyser has 3 engines at the Zed shed which we could possibly make one engine work out of all them. Again, worth considering if the above two options don't work for you.

Whatever you decide, you have our support. This might be a good time though to start looking at getting your own place sorted, and get some stability though :)

• Like 3

If you dont have enough to replace the standard engine immediately then FFS dont start looking into V8's and FI. IF youre adamant that youre going to keep it, put a DE in and save the lairy stuff for when youve got the coin.

I think his point was that he will take it off the road and save his money towards it, I can't see an issue there. Some people don't have 10s of thousands lying around ready for immediate use.

If you dont have enough to replace the standard engine immediately then FFS dont start looking into V8's and FI. IF youre adamant that youre going to keep it, put a DE in and save the lairy stuff for when youve got the coin.

I think his point was that he will take it off the road and save his money towards it, I can't see an issue there. Some people don't have 10s of thousands lying around ready for immediate use.

Team Marks and spencer do

But all the time it's off the road he's paying for a second lot of insurance and running costs on a second car. Granted, they may not be huge in the grand scheme of things, but they'll be very real and will hit the savings. It'll quickly turn into one of those projects that never quite gets done: Been there, done that!

I want to see Grundy up on his feet and back in a Zed as quickly as possible. He's had a crap enough year as it is, and he deserves to be happy driving his Zed again :thumbs:

• Like 2

Okay,

So had a little think and been talking around. Think my best option is to get another DE engine.

I'm now going to work with a 6month time frame. SORN the car this month due to Tax running out.

My plan is to focus the car on handling, had a couple of nice comments about my cornering on Track, so maybe this is the area I should focus on over performance.

And while the engines out, may as well treat my self to some Long Tube Headers...

Especially after hearing this noise -

So over the next 6months I'll keep an eye on any written off zeds which can still drive and 2nd hand cheap engines.

As well as that it gives me time to refurb some of my panels/bumpers and have her ready for next show season.

• Like 3

What I was meant to ask was, whilst the engine is out, apart from the Manifold, is there anything else worth upgrading?

Clutch & add a light weight flywheel maybe.

Where are you going to get long tube manifolds from though? :shrug:

I thought the only ones about for the 350's where the Supersprint ones which where ridiculously expensive. :fool:

Edited by GMballistic

What I was meant to ask was, whilst the engine is out, apart from the Manifold, is there anything else worth upgrading?

Clutch & add a light weight flywheel maybe.

Where are you going to get long tube manifolds from though? :shrug:

I thought the only ones about for the 350's where the Supersprint ones which where ridiculously expensive. :fool:

Where there is a Tarmac Sportz, there is a way ;)

Very nice and better value than the Supersprint ones, ...although anyone selling these in the UK do you know?

I know that company does ship worldwide though but just wondered.

Edit: Yes forgot you could ask Tarmac of course.

Edited by GMballistic

Okay,

So had a little think and been talking around. Think my best option is to get another DE engine.

I'm now going to work with a 6month time frame. SORN the car this month due to Tax running out.

My plan is to focus the car on handling, had a couple of nice comments about my cornering on Track, so maybe this is the area I should focus on over performance.

And while the engines out, may as well treat my self to some Long Tube Headers...

So over the next 6months I'll keep an eye on any written off zeds which can still drive and 2nd hand cheap engines.

As well as that it gives me time to refurb some of my panels/bumpers and have her ready for next show season.

Miss you so much already buddy..lol

Think hard as to what you want to achieve with the car Long term as while you have that engine out you have many options available to,you,(forced induction,forging etc) which would normally be out of the question if the car was running well and your hand wasn't forced like it is now.

Sounds like you love the car and don't want to give up on her so take your time.

• Like 1

Okay,

Miss you so much already buddy..lol

Think hard as to what you want to achieve with the car Long term as while you have that engine out you have many options available to,you,(forced induction,forging etc) which would normally be out of the question if the car was running well and your hand wasn't forced like it is now.

Sounds like you love the car and don't want to give up on her so take your time.

:cloud9:

Is always going to be a tough decision what ever I decide.

End Goal? It's going to have to stay road legal as I'd miss you guys at meets too much ;) But I feel like I want it to be a bit like 'the bitch' instead of a daily drive.

As much as I'd love a Forged Engine, It's pricey. And as Dan says, I don't want an unfinished project.

Lets say Engine/Forge = £10k.

That £10k Could be split across (£2/3k engine) Suspension, Bushes, Headers along with a lot of needed touch ups for the car.

Even with a stock DE engine, I can still go the FI route along the line, just have to play a safe BHP.

I've still got a fair bit of time to think things through, but I feel like the sensible option is to bring her back as she was. And go from there. It's not what I want, but it's what WILL happen as apposed to what MIGHT happen.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Figured if I need a new engine etc, which I don't have the money for right now, may as well take it slow and do it right.

Will keep you guys all in the loop, but fear not Eleanor (Yup, we named my car that today :lol:) Will return next year Bigger and better than ever :)

Dedman has my Dashcam footage which I'm sure will be posted up later this week.

Once again, thank you to everyone for your kind words and support - This is one big family, not a community :cloud9:

Yes mate was such a bummer and it sucked as there isnt a great deal you can do to help once something like that happens, although i am now like a red tomato from sitting by your car all afternoon :lol:

Glad to hear you got home safe and thanks for keeping us updated, Hopeful this will be one of those time which are a blessing in disguise, just hope father Christmas drops off a Ls motor and box with a full sikkys kit for Christmas,

Like i say sorry there wasnt anything i could really do to help, and im sure passing you a few times on the track didnt help ;)

But also thanks for giving me the jump to start looking for a beaver tail to start transporting mine to and from drift days :teeth:

Well i wasnt far off just the wrong engine