Leaving the Zed idle for 2 weeks - any tips?

The Trouser

I'm going camping for a couple of weeks and so will be leaving the Zed idle for that period of time - does anyone have any advice about what precautions I should take?

Already suggested is to leave the handbrake off as it may stick depending on weather conditions. Anything else?

Thanks

TT.

Nope, that's all that's needed really. I only use mine at weekends and sometimes don't get a chance to use it at all so it can sit for a couple of weeks and I've never had a problem. I do keep it under a cover however, but that's to keep the bodywork clean.

Top tip - don't announce to the whole online world that you're going away for 2 weeks in the near future. Ooops, too late.

Personally I'd disconnect the battery if you can put it in a garage. I didn't do this and my battery was flat as a pancake when I came back last week after a fortnight away.

I'm going camping for a couple of weeks and so will be leaving the Zed idle for that period of time - does anyone have any advice about what precautions I should take?

Already suggested is to leave the handbrake off as it may stick depending on weather conditions. Anything else?

Thanks

TT.

Without doubt, leaving it for two weeks not moving or running would be absolutely disastrous, causing untold and irreversible damage!

Just drop it off with the keys at mine and I'll make sure it doesn't stand idle. Oh remember to fill the tank, an empty tank can be harmful too. :p

• Like 3

Thanks

TT.

Without doubt, leaving it for two weeks not moving or running would be absolutely disastrous, causing untold and irreversible damage!

Just drop it off with the keys at mine and I'll make sure it doesn't stand idle. Oh remember to fill the tank, an empty tank can be harmful too. :p

Stop fuelling the flames. Everyone knows you cover it with a soft blanket and leave magic playing on the radio.

Or in SMD's case. Sing it a lullaby before leaving :)

Edited by 4RE Leather

Mine sits in the garage for long periods of time, getting the time coupled with good dry driving weather is a challenge nowadays so she sits for 2 weeks at a time, I choc it and leave the hand brake off, make sure the tyres are inflated to top pressure and every month I put the battery on float for 24hrs and that's about it........had no problems yet. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well after being idle for 2 weeks it started up no problems :D

Drove the Zed 250 miles to a campsite in Devon and left it parked in a shady spot for 2 weeks.

After the return leg (so a 500 mile round-trip) I noted that the average speed was 41 mph at 36 mpg - not bad for a 10 year old Zed :)

• Like 2

Thanks everyone - the battery is only around 18 months old so I'll leave it connected.

Cheers

TT

It will be absolutely fine. I have left mine in a Airport car park for over two weeks in Winter

and it was perfect started first time. :thumbs:

I too left mine for a couple of weeks in an airport carpark but all wasn't well.....

It was one of the coldest two weeks and my door locks were frozen solid when I got back to it :lol:

Op glad all was well :)