Guns and children !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

neo

Gun ownership in the states is one thing, but why do they need fully and semi auto rifles, uzi's and armour piercing rounds. If you use them for hunting; how many deer have you seen wearing full body armour. If its for protection an uzi is awful for any kind of accuracy. Its a spray and pray weapon. They need to get a grip. When my kids are older id take them clay pigeon shooting with shotguns, or rabbiting or on a bird shoot. But an uzi at 9 doesn't make sense. And Canada has a similar amount of firearms per capita, but their gun death rate is a fraction of Americas. Its scarily high out there. Almost a school massacre a year now.

Air Training Corps will let you fire rifles in the UK from the age of 13 ;)

It was the same back in the 80s when I was in the army cadets. We went on a week's camp in Wales. At age 13 I was allowed to fire antiquated .303 Lee Enfield rifles on an army firing range. The main difference being, of course, that they were bolt-action rifles, so there was no chance of the sort of accident that occurred in this case.

I remember a school trip to the Guards depot as a kid and being allowed to shoot .22 rifles on a range. Of course, a .22 is very different to an Uzi. Seems mad to me to put one of those in the hands of a child.

A .22 calibre weapon is a 5.56mm round, which is the round of choice for most NATO countries, who's weapons are all capable of Auto or single shot. A 9mm weapon is mostly a shorter round that is bigger diameter for more effect at close quarter, where accuracy and distance is not as important, like the Glock, Sig or Browning and the Uzi of course.

They are all designed for one purpose, to kill. You have to be a genetically modified food eating American moron, for the most part, to let a girl of 9 use ANY weapon.

Oh a .303 is a 7.62mm round, the best man stopper known to man, delivered by the correct weapon system.

• Like 2

They are all designed for one purpose, to kill. You have to be a genetically modified food eating American moron, for the most part, to let a girl of 9 use ANY weapon.

Totally agree.

This video shows a fully grown woman firing an Uzi which has a stock & pistol fore grip:

Any child would struggle with safely handling that. :wacko:

Personally I've shot many guns over the years, not just airguns but also firearms ranging from muzzle loading 12 bore shotguns, rifles & various calibre revolvers/handguns. I obtained a certificate of marksmanship when I was just 14/15 years old from a firearms instructor in America which the training also covered firearms safe handling & use.

So obviously I'm not against guns but I would definitely not be putting a firearm into the hands of any children I may have.

And Canada has a similar amount of firearms per capita, but their gun death rate is a fraction of Americas.

Actually it's about a third at 30 guns per 100 people, very similar to countries like France, Sweden, Austria but I do take your point. It's difficult to know why America has such a high death rate compared with Canada. Some factors might be the racial make up of America and the standard of the mass immigrants early in the 20th century :shrug: . Just looked up some figures and 2-3 people are shot dead in America by the police every day, in The U.K it's about 1 a year (the last one being in 2012), an average of 30 policemen are shot dead each year in The States compared with just 5 here since 2000.

It's just part of American culture, it doesn't seem to bother them that close to 10,000 people a year are victims. I'm sure that if 10k people a year died in plane or train crashes then they'd do something about it and to quote the latest catchphrase "lessons would be learned" but the American gun lobby is extremely powerful and 10's of thousands of workers are involved in the industry so nothing will change. I like America and Americans in general are nice people but they are definitely an odd lot.

Pete

The culture in some US states is all about guns, it's only recently that some coffee chains have banned people with fully automatic rifles, but you will still see folk with a pump action in one hand and a coffee in the other.

That's fine if that's the way they are, and it's accepted in the community. Most of the people in some states start shooting guns at at very young age, but gees a 9 year old with a fully automatic weapon ... Accident waiting to happen and it has. I think the laws on these types of guns will be changed in all states very soon.... But enforcing it is another matter. A gun club should really know better :nono: