370z manual or semi auto

parello9

Okay so ive drove 2 370s now

Both were autos but the point was just to see if i liked the car.. The paddle shifts are amazing though and is really tempting as its instant but not sure if i would get bored after a month

Theres a auto im interested in but think i should try a manual first before i jump in?

Anyone been stuck to choose? Also one of the cars was a convertible, nice to hear the v6 grumble but looses abit of sex appeal from the fabric roof

Definitely try both before you take the plunge

I drove autos for a while (previous 3 cars) before I got my manual zed, I will admit I sometimes miss the ease of point & squirt especially when stuck in traffic but in all honesty I wouldn't change my manual for auto now I love it too much. They both have pluses & minuses but you really should try both before you decide :thumbs:

Yeah, hard one, really down to personal preference but I'll just leave this here;

• The auto isn't double clutch, so it's never going to set the world alight in terms of performance, that was enough for me to stop considering it there

• The syncro-rev gear box gimmick is great and works outstanding well on the road and on track, couple that with a proper exhaust and it's so much fun

With those two points there (albeit that the auto has the syncro rev also) having the elbow and foot manual control over the gearbox and lack of DCT, I'd recommend manual over the auto box for the enthusiastic driver, wanna be '70 owner.

Edited by Suits
  • Like 1

I wanted an auto but the right car came up an had a manual box, glad I went manual. A decent exhaust and a downshift from 4th to 2nd at at roundabout will never fail to to put a smile on my face!

Edited by Sy1441
  • Like 1

I wasn't really bothered which when I got mine (auto roadster), and hadn't owned an auto before so it was quite novel - for a while. As stated above, because it's not a DCT it can be quite ponderous at times which can be annoying, but at other times it can be relaxing in traffic. Would definitely say try both before you buy.

When I test drove the auto before I bought my first 70, it mostly left me unimpressed. Put the same box in the G37 coupe and it's a joy for some reason.

Been finding myself more and more attracted to the new Q60 coupe, but I've still got a few years of manual cars in me yet. Other than my 'master plan' of getting the new Cayman S, other auto's don't do it for me.

Lets not forget you always have the tip tronic on the gear lever anyway so you can always drive it like a manual.

People rave about the synchro rev matching but I think it makes it less of a drives car, I have a paddle shift but I came from an Audi DSG so I like have 3 options when it comes to driving, granted it's not DGS, PDK or DCT like but it's good enough.

Would never ever go back to manual after driving my 370z 7AT, it just doesn't make sense to do 24 manoeuvre while driving fast on bends, going in, coming out.

Needs a bit of tweaking by a tuner when you do the UpRev and it's just perfect. By default, it was a bit sluggish in places.

And, ask the guys who drove my car, it's was way faster than any manual 370z, even before twin turbo.

My signature says it all :lol:

Would never ever go back to manual after driving my 370z 7AT, it just doesn't make sense to do 24 manoeuvre while driving fast on bends, going in, coming out.

Needs a bit of tweaking by a tuner when you do the UpRev and it's just perfect. By default, it was a bit sluggish in places.

And, ask the guys who drove my car, it's was way faster than any manual 370z, even before twin turbo.

My signature says it all :lol:

Cat D though so the bits that broke off aid in weight saving :D