Heel-Toe in a 350z

SJ350z

What I don't get is that unless you're shifting slowly, what is the point in doing it? If my car needs to be at 4K RPM to meet the next gears needs and I make that with a usual gear change process, what have I achieved by keeping my foot on the floor? I'm genuinely curious as it seems a bit of an odd thing to do.

You don't do it unless you have a modified Box as far as im aware. Its very different if you're racing a motorbike. Clutchless upshifts are supposedly faster but I found them to feel slightly clunky and preferred using the clutch :) Again you can get a powershifter or whatever they are called installed and its smooth and instant.

You don't do it unless you have a modified Box as far as im aware. Its very different if you're racing a motorbike. Clutchless upshifts are supposedly faster but I found them to feel slightly clunky and preferred using the clutch :) Again you can get a powershifter or whatever they are called installed and its smooth and instant.

Never used the clutch on upshifts on my bike, just felt right not to :) I have a bit more mechanical sympathy for the car, but sometimes do the odd upshift with it :)

Each to their own. A lot of my friends do clutchless ups. Depends what bike you have I suppose. A lot of the main manufactures have different boxes. My gsxr was smoother than my R6 but I had a much bigger grin on the r6 ;)

Guys, we have have sychros, this aint 1940!

I was thinking along the lines of........ 21st century get a 370 it has a button for this. :lol:

HT on the up, can be of use for 'weight transfer' but I thought more for scrabblers not rear wheel drives.

No, I wasn't. I thought it would be obvious that you heel and toe on up shifts and blip on downchange.

He got this the wrong way round is anyone is still confused, if youre double declutching then get out of the 1970's and if youre shifting up while braking youve got bigger problems :surrender:

I can also confirm that trying to H+T in a manual 370Z with the rev match on confuses the hell out of it :lol:

Edited by docwra

• 3 weeks later...

I started heel and toeing in my old mr2 after I locked the back wheels entering a corner on a trackday. I was slowing for a corner and braking hard, I changed gear and managed to lock up the back wheels. I put it down the differential between the current revs and the New revs. It also makes the gear go in easier if the revs match. With heel and toe I haven't experienced the problem again. Also it sounds cool and is fun :)

I found with my bad knee and ankle the 350 was the hardest car to H+T in. Even with the modified pedals. I found the brake pedal height was poor. Had no issues in the mr2, S2000 both brilliant cars and gearboxes for heel and toe. Even the gti6 was easier to heel and toe. I gave up in the end on the zed it wasn't worth rupturing the cartilage in my leg trying.

• 1 month later...

Finally scourced a 380rs pedal from nissan autosports in usa...great service, delivered in 10 days...cost 27 dollars50c and postage was 40 dollars...less than 44 quid at todays ex rate...didn't have a problem heel n toeing with original set up, but this makes it even easier, and looks cool in the bargain!...heel toe upshifts?!! Yeah right!... wackywill certainty lives up 2 his name lol

Finally scourced a 380rs pedal from nissan autosports in usa...great service, delivered in 10 days...cost 27 dollars50c and postage was 40 dollars...less than 44 quid at todays ex rate...didn't have a problem heel n toeing with original set up, but this makes it even easier, and looks cool in the bargain!...heel toe upshifts?!! Yeah right!... wackywill certainty lives up 2 his name lol

does this lower the the brake pedal at all, im 6"2 and ive got my HT on the spot but every now and then my knee will hit the bottom of the steering wheel, seat fully back, steering wheel at its highest

even when braking normally if i were to move my leg completely over my knee just touches the bottom of the wheel

anyone else get this?