Heel-Toe in a 350z

SJ350z

But that doesn't explain why you're telling us to heel/toe on upshifts?

You double declutch on upshifts as well..!! :surrender: :surrender:

I thought that was only necessary on cars from a by-gone era that didn't have something in the gearbox? Not an expert here but pretty sure something along those lines elminates the need to perform that maneuver.

Also, double declutch is not the same as heal/toe.. That much I know :p

Edited by mouthwash

That's a bad thing isn't it? Power shifting at 6.5k RPM might lead to undesired consequences unless you're all driving around in flappy paddle insta gear change cars?

I certainly wouldn't 'power shift..' my car whilst giving it max attack. :lol:

It won't be good for the clutch that's for sure.

Wouldn't that cause the car to lurch forward as well throwing it off balance? For sake of discussion if desired RPM for Gear/speed is 4k RPM and you've got your foot to the floor holding it at 6.5k RPM it's going to, in my mind, lurch when the clutch engages again, no?

Wouldn't that cause the car to lurch forward as well throwing it off balance? For sake of discussion if desired RPM for Gear/speed is 4k RPM and you've got your foot to the floor holding it at 6.5k RPM it's going to, in my mind, lurch when the clutch engages again, no?

You can still do it by releasing your foot off the accelerator a little bit so the revs will fall slightly. Leaving the revs the same might cause it to lurch forward a bit

Yeah, the only time I ever do it is to keep the wheels lit if I run out of revs mid corner or something. Can't think of a legitimate reason to do it with a road car, I think it would put a lot of stress through the gearbox and clutch etc.

Am I right in thinking this is how you double de clutch?!

1.Off throttle

2.dip the clutch and put select neutral

3.clutch out and blip throttle

4.press clutch and engage desired gear.

5. off clutch/on throttle

• Like 3

Yeah, the only time I ever do it is to keep the wheels lit if I run out of revs mid corner or something. Can't think of a legitimate reason to do it with a road car, I think it would put a lot of stress through the gearbox and clutch etc.

Am I right in thinking this is how you double de clutch?!

1.Off throttle

2.dip the clutch and put select neutral

3.clutch out and blip throttle

4.press clutch and engage desired gear.

5. off clutch/on throttle

Hmm yeah I can't really see how it would make that much of a difference to warrant it, certainly not worth the wear on your clutch and transmission anyway.

so when you blip the throttle, do you have to over rev it to ensure you're at the right revs when you select the cog as they fall? I get (and try to do) heel toe, and I understand on paper why you'd double de clutch, but I've never driven anything older than mid nineties so I've never needed to actually understand it :lol:

Its completely pointless. I looked up double clutching due to the Fast and Furious film the other day and on mordern cars there is no benefit whatsoever ! Like the others have said it's just more wear and tear and potentially slower I would have thought :p

I can confirm that the car does indeed lurch forward, I tried it on the way home in the other halfs Mini and not only did it lurch but with the foot flat to the floor I attracted more attention than I wanted and ended up looking more of a pr!ck than usual.

Edited by mouthwash
  • Like 2