Opinions on alfa 159?

LRF4N

Thinking of replacing my wife's car with one

Love the way it looks but so many mixed opinions on reliability and build quality

Il be able to see the build quality when I see one but not sure on reliability. Iv heard they're reputation goes before them and they're not that bad

Anyone owned one?

Are they that bad?

I thought the 159 had made some good progress in terms of reliability.

Sarnie had one (still might actually - he was flogging it) so might be well placed to comment

Personally I think they look ace.

Yea ricey I heard that this wasn't your stereotypical alfa but do many mixed reviews. Thought if get some first hand opinions on here

Kris what kind of things went wrong?

I know every car can have problems and it's partly down to luck whether you have problems. You can buy the most reliable model but have problems or but the least reliable model with no service history and run it hassle free

But probs best to go with the law of averages :lol:

Which engine are you thinking of having? Petrol or diesel?

I had a 159 2.4 turbodiesel which had a Celtic Tuning re-map on it. I cannot remember the std figure but it had around 240 bhp after the work. Re-map and some exhaust system work.

Yes, a better car than the 156 (although a few folks will tell you that cannot be true...lol...)

Reliability will always be a bit hit and miss with Alfas but that one had done around 80,000 when I sold it with no huge bills that i know of.

Peak I'm going diesel probs the 1.9

Yea Dave it's one of the few alfas that I look at for that bit longer. Love the TIs, if I don't get one il get the TI wheels for sure

the prob with the TI is they run a large degree of camber on the rear so they go through tyres is about 10k i think.

I own a 156 and in 18 months and about 15k I've only had a cam position sensor go which cost about £500 just because it was behind the cam belt. its been a lovely car otherwise though.

I'm looking at them as well at the moment, but may need something bigger. Honest John website best info in their car review section. Gives all things to look for. But short version is: go for the 2.4 diesel, as its better, les issues etc. Check sub frame for rust, if it has it or caught early £100 job to have it sealed. Check Campbell is changed on time. Dpf can block but that's a standard diesel issue if its a short journey only car. But reliability is good, the 159 has made big changes. If you want to see unreliable go check out some of the german marques on honest John.

That was my first choice, but as my wife has the family car at the mo it was all I needed, but she's sing at Xmas to a small car and I'm getting the family wagon and the Alfa estate is too small boot wise. Wife current boot is around 560 litres. Alfa is about 410. So I'm tempted by the 530d from BMW has 500 litres good performance and mpg. Or I might go down the xc90 or toureg road. But the mpg plummets on them. Trying to avoid the V70 route.

I didn't have a 159, we had/have a GT Coupe which is essentially just a three door version of the 159, sold it on eBay yesterday after only a day of being listed;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=371104333979

Great cars in my opinion, and a great option over the usual mondeo's, 320d etc etc

We had nothing go wrong with ours that wasn't usual wear and tear etc etc.

I love alphas.... Ever since my 155. Some of the best looking cars out there. If the Brera had a better engine I'd probably be driving one of those.

(And it would probably cost me less money than the zed)

Loved my 156 which I had for nearly 16 years. My daughter has it now and she seems to love it just as much. I did look at buying a 159, but couldn't find one I liked, and then some how ended up with a 370Z. :)

Still keeping an eye out for the new Giulia, as I think I have must have some Italian blood in me.