Possible purchase but uneasy on milage!

harryjackson

Hi there, forum members, I have an opportunity to purchase a 2004 350z.

The car is a UK GT Spec with some paint defects and badly curbed alloys. Here are some photos of the lacquer peeling on the RHF wing.

Good bits;

Good Service History

Both front lower arms, both front lower rear arms, front lower ball joints, both front track rod ends, both rear shocks replaced recently.

Brake pads all round replaced 3 months ago.

Tyres are good with 4mm depth

mechanically sound

Bad bits;

Lacquer peel on roof and RHF wing

Badly curbed alloys (need refurb)

Few dings and scratches all round (age related)

THE MAJOR THING PUTTING ME OFF THIS CAR IS MILAGE!! THIS CAR CURRENTLY HAS 156,000!!

IS THIS TOO MUCH FOR A 350Z FOR USE BEING A DAILY DRIVER?

The car is priced at around £4,300

PLEASE LEAVE A RESPONSE TO IF YOU THINK I SHOULD GO AHEAD WITH PURCHASE

THANK YOU.

Why are you wanting to spend so little on this sort of car? My advice would be to tread carefully as any major defect i.e. clutch failure or engine oil seals etc and you will be spending almost the value of the car.

Whats your top line that you want to spend on a zed?

• Like 1

Why are you wanting to spend so little on this sort of car? My advice would be to tread carefully as any major defect i.e. clutch failure or engine oil seals etc and you will be spending almost the value of the car.

Whats your top line that you want to spend on a zed?

Top line spend is £5000

Have you driven it? People have z's on here that have done similar or higher mileages so dont be put off by that if it has a good history. Does the history show when the clutch has been done as that could be imminent. You could do the re-laquer yourself with a can. You need to be looking for oil smoke when driving, overheating issues, rust (rear and front arches) etc. Alloys being curbed are immaterial - you will probably do it yourself anyway at some time.

Btw, I understand why you want to spend "so little" on a Z!!

Have you driven it? People have z's on here that have done similar or higher mileages so dont be put off by that if it has a good history. Does the history show when the clutch has been done as that could be imminent. You could do the re-laquer yourself with a can. You need to be looking for oil smoke when driving, overheating issues, rust (rear and front arches) etc. Alloys being curbed are immaterial - you will probably do it yourself anyway at some time.

No reference of clutch change, its had the fan and timing belts done but no clutch.

No reference of clutch change, its had the fan and timing belts done but no clutch.

Possibly means the A/C belt and Ancillary belt (£25-£30 for both belts) as the Zed doesn't have a timing belt. It has a chain. ;)

Found one manual Zed in your price range on Pistonheads; http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/nissan/350z/nissan-350-z-v6--------------------2003/2460698

All the rest seem to be automatics for the sub £5K mark. :shrug:

Read my project lmao i took that jump spent 5k... Wonderful. Mileage was 118k

Clutch went on the way home

Needed new tyres all round

Needs new brakes all round

needed oil and plugs.

So ive spent the best part of 6k now and its all good :) your better off paying 6 and getting one with all the above already done unless your a tight git like me and dont mind a bit of a project!

I would never buy a car with that mileage when there are many cheaper lower mileage cars around.

Cheaper than 4300? Where? :wacko:

So it has a little lacquer peel, to be expected after 150k, shouldn't cost much to fix, especially if you can do it yourself. I also think you'll be hard pushed to find one that doesn't have a few carpark dings, especially on the doors.

The mileage is nothing to worry about if it been looked after service wise.

Possibly means the A/C belt and Ancillary belt (£25-£30 for both belts) as the Zed doesn't have a timing belt. It has a chain. ;)

Found one manual Zed in your price range on Pistonheads; http://www.pistonhea...---2003/2460698

I have seen this car but unfortunately its a real distance away from me. Depends wether seller can meet half way.

Read my project lmao i took that jump spent 5k... Wonderful. Mileage was 118k

Clutch went on the way home

Needed new tyres all round

Needs new brakes all round

needed oil and plugs.

So ive spent the best part of 6k now and its all good :) your better off paying 6 and getting one with all the above already done unless your a tight git like me and dont mind a bit of a project!

I have friends in the trade and my dad works for the biggest parts distributor in the UK. It had its first 9 services with nissan and has good service history since then. I've been out in the car and it still pulls like a train!!

Found one manual Zed in your price range on Pistonheads; http://www.pistonhea...---2003/2460698

So for a full UK GT spec 4,300 isn't too bad?

^^ It's not a bad price especially if you can knock the guy down to £4K leaving you a grand to fix up some of the bits (£300-£400 for four alloys refurbed, painted wing £250-£300 odd at a guess) but still if you can stretch to more then I would as you could be, just like Bradders found out, opening yourself up to more expensive bills in the future.

Having said that though if it has a good service history with it then I wouldn't let the mileage put you off necessarily. :dry:

Personally I'd rather spend some money on going to see that one in Scotland first. I'd definitely at the least be ringing him up to ask him what service history he has and any more info on the car (like what fuel does he use/tyre condition/clutch changed? etc).

^^ It's not a bad price especially if you can knock the guy down to £4K leaving you a grand to fix up some of the bits (£300-£400 for four alloys refurbed, painted wing £250-£300 odd at a guess) but still if you can stretch to more then I would as you could be, just like Bradders found out, opening yourself up to more expensive bills in the future.

Having said that though if it has a good service history with it then I wouldn't let the mileage put you off necessarily. :dry:

Personally I'd rather spend some money on going to see that one in Scotland first. I'd definitely at the least be ringing him up to ask him what service history he has and any more info on the car (like what fuel does he use/tyre condition/clutch changed? etc).

Okay will do, thanks, GMballistic!

Buy on condition, not mileage. I would personally be more concerned by the lacquer peel (which doesn't seem to be a sufficient enough phrase to describe the amount of paint that has left the car, judging by the picture and you say there's more, or rather less, on the roof?) than the mileage if it's been well serviced (I won't say well maintained because of the lack of lacquer). But maybe that's just me.

Buy on condition, not mileage. I would personally be more concerned by the lacquer peel (which doesn't seem to be a sufficient enough phrase to describe the amount of paint that has left the car, judging by the picture and you say there's more, or rather less, on the roof?) than the mileage if it's been well serviced (I won't say well maintained because of the lack of lacquer). But maybe that's just me.

Agree ~ also the lacquer peel as well could be down to poor repairs/resprays done in the past. Maybe hidden problems? :shrug:

Agree ~ also the lacquer peel as well could be down to poor repairs/resprays done in the past. Maybe hidden problems? :shrug:

It had it's first 9 services with nissan and has been serviced multiple times since. Has been run on V Power and pulled very well when I went for test drive.

The only thing I will say regardless of me previous post is that for another £1000 on top of your budget, you will get a zed without the lacquer peel and half the mileage.

Edited by KyleR

Hi mileage doesn't mean it's a no go area, as said overall condition/history is a good indicator. Be careful though, what may appear to be a cheap car to start with will can become a "project" and we all now that projects never come in on budget :angry:

At that sort of mileage i would expect to be looking at replacing things like dampers, wheel bearings, suspension bushes, a second exhaust etc etc, and thats besides engine ancillaries,

i would look at getting it checked by a decent mechanic before jumping at it.

Lacquer peel could be a prev paint job but there are owners on this forum who've got minters that have done more paint that Rolf Harris.

Cheap bodyshop will blow over it for a few hundred.

Perishables would be my main concern along with the clutch. You can burn £1500 very quickly with a new clutch and a set of boots for it.

Also at that milage you are playing the octane lottery. Unless this is a one owner car and he gives a gentlemans nod to using Super you're always going to be taking the chance that it's supped from the weak pump more than once.

Doesn't mean it will blow up but we've seen a few engines of late chucking a piston or ending up in some sort of terminal state.