I think I've found my next car

twobears

I posted about the 4C some time ago. Very interested in them but it looks as though the numbers over here will be so limited that getting one on the second hand market will be very difficult and they will hold their prices. A manual box would have been good but they're a gorgeous and pretty swift car. Definitely turn some heads in one of those!

Don't buy it. It looks great but has a pathetic 1750c warm/hot hatch engine.

Laggy when you are not trying, harsh and strained when you are.

Nah, that car was crying out for a 300 bhp, 3000cc, N/ASP, V6.

Or a 2.2 turbo with 300 bhp.

Aw, don't tell me that because it's sooooo pretty and I love it and, even more importantly, I just spoke to Mr Twobears on the phone and explained that I had to have it and he didn't say, "No" :yahoo: He did tell me I had to wait but at least he didn't close down Project 4C and crush all my dreams :lol:

• Like 1

Even though I currently have a 4.0 V8, I would never rule out a smaller engined very light car. Yes, it's a different experience but IMO you can't beat rowing a smaller engine along at full chat, coupled with the nimble feeling of so little weight transfer. Equally there are times when it's nice to waft along on a wave of torque - neither being better or worse - just different. I guess the latter is more relaxing but not as much fun (I would see the 4C as a weekend car).

Even though I currently have a 4.0 V8, I would never rule out a smaller engined very light car. Yes, it's a different experience but IMO you can't beat rowing a smaller engine along at full chat, coupled with the nimble feeling of so little weight transfer. Equally there are times when it's nice to waft along on a wave of torque - neither being better or worse - just different. I guess the latter is more relaxing but not as much fun (I would see the 4C as a weekend car).

That's why I love our MX-5 and why we will be trading it up to a bit newer one very soon :cloud9:

• Like 1

Light weight and good if not great power, is what my track day/sunny day car is.

Caterham R500 Superlight.

265 bhp and 450 kgs. More power than the 4C and around half the weight.

I paid £18,000 for it (it's a 2004 car) in 2010.

But the 4C could so easily have been 300 bhp and 1100 kgs.

That engine it has is just not up to a £50,000 spend.

If anyone has £50,000 to spend on something gorgeous and fast, orgasmic sounding and great on resale value, get yourself a Ferrari 550 Maranello.

I had one and it was ***king amazing.

Edited by Peak 370

Better than you would think, but I doubt it'll last very long in that condition.

Until they drop a V6 in there and get rid of those eyes (like they've done with the convertible), I simply wouldn't consider one.

• Like 1

Caterham R500 Superlight. 265 bhp and 450 kgs. More power than the 4C and around half the weight.

It also doesnt have a roof or windows, its hardly comparable is it?? Im looking at a 4C as a daily, I dont think I could have an R500 for that :lol:

If anyone has £50,000 to spend on something gorgeous and fast, orgasmic sounding and great on resale value, get yourself a Ferrari 550 Maranello.

And servicing for a year is the same as a lifetime on the 4C, never mind if you actually need spares. And bear in mind its a 18 year old Ferrari, its hardly going to be an example of reliability is it? :lol:

• Like 1

My 550 needed 4 tyres, 2 services and a headlamp unit in over 12,000 miles of ownership.

It was utterly reliable.

But high-ish running costs are offset by zero depreciation.

Alfas lose you hundreds a WEEK in depreciation as a rule.