It's a small world

JetSet

Astonishing!! Went to look at a Zed today for a new member on here and very nice it was as well. Guy invites me in for a brew and we get talking, his G/F then arrives and we get talking about work. Told them I worked for an oil company on The Wirral but had retired some years ago and the company had closed. Well to my surprise it turned out she worked for the company that took the site over in the very same laboratory and that her boss was one of the guys I worked with on shifts! She then phoned him up in work and said "you'll never guess who I've got sitting in my living room right now". Then it gets really amazing, it turns out that her father was on the same production line as me when I worked at British Steel 40 years ago!!

Be good to hear other people's amazing coincidences :)

Pete

When I went to Russia few years ago - really didn't want to meet one of my Exs...but she was messaging me "come and see me" "lets meet up"... I just blanked her pretending I'm not there...one day I'm walking out of subway/underground in the middle of the city with 6mln people population...and guess who walks towards me? :lol:

• Like 1

Just thought of one ~ I used to work in a pub when I was younger (around 16-18). Was great fun and everyone there was a good laugh with Friday night lock in's for the staff. Anyway the manager of the pub who was into his cars started spending more money than he was earning and got into a bit of financial trouble.

To try to solve it he ended up staging a robbery and paying someone to hit him over the head one day ~ stealing a weeks takings in the process.

We eventually found out when the Police charged him a week later after they found £7K in his flat which was £2K short of the £9K takings and he admitted staging the whole thing. :scare: Was sent to prison.

13 Years later when I was doing car/van parts deliveries in the Newport area I bumped into him working in a van rental company. Was very awkward as when I was younger I had sort of admired him and was upset/angry at the time that he had done this stupid thing of staging the robbery.

Spoke to him for a bit and was good to hear he was still with his wife but still bit weird seeing him again.

Pete, did you ever work at Thornton Research Centre at the Stanlow Refinery ??

No, but I did work in the North Lab at Stanlow for 2 and a half years and got to know a fair few people who worked at Thornton.

Pete

Another random couple. My uncle lived in Orpington for a few years and when I was 18 or 19, I went down with my parents to visit him for the weekend and on pulling in at a petrol station a couple of miles from where he lived who should be filling up there as well but our next door neighbours . Last time I was in The States 2010 we camped in our rental RV at a small campsite in Southern Colorado and got talking to a couple from Oklahoma who had both just retired and were on their first ever road trip. 2 weeks later we bumped into them again in the visitor centre at The Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument about 500 miles away :) . When I was 18, I dated a girl who was born in the same hospital as me and on the same day too :scare:

Pete

On a similar vane that all the married guys will know, decide to buy my Z but didn't think at the time I should tell the wife, first mistake. Drove over to Sutton in Ashfield to the dealer about 40 miles away from Lincoln liked the looks, condition etc and went for a test drive. Everything was cooking on gas and looking good,bought the car, second mistake, its coming.Left it to pick up the next week and prepared and rehearsed on the way home how I would tell my dearest at home, you nearly there now. Got home walked into the kitchen taking my jacket off,then a voice from the living room called out "did you buy that blue sports car then" :scare: help.

• Like 2

Friends of mine were touring South America, had just gone into Peru from Argentina and were walking through a small village of maybe 150 population and noticed a blonde girl at the end of the main street, bit unusual for that part of the world.

Got closer and it turned out to be our mate from college, she had hooked up with a Peruvian guy in Europe and had just moved out there to live with him a week earlier. :scare:

Here's another one. I started work at John Summers Steelworks on June 30th 1969, one day before it became British Steel Shotton. Anyway, there were from memory 4 new starters that day and 2 of us were destined to work in the laboratories. We spent the entire first day and part of the second day on an induction course and signing contracts. It turned out that whereas I was a Chemist, the other guy was a Metallurgist so we were sent to different departments. The other guys name was Dennis Darker and although through the course of my job I spoke to him several times over the phone I never met him again until May 1980 when he was next in line to me in the queue to pick up our redundancy cheques. Imagine my surprise when finishing the London Marathon in April 1991 he finishes one place behind me !! My surname and variants of it are fairly uncommon so I had a chuckle when the guy that finished one place ahead of me in the very same 1991 London Marathon is listed in the results as P.Broadbent ....and I'm next as P.Broad :surrender: .

Pete

Not mine but my Dad's..

40 or so years ago Mum, Dad and myself were in the car, i can't recall why but Mum and Dad were having a bit of a barney, anyway Dad's concentration lapses and he pulls out at a roundabout and "CRUNCH!" we have a car bouncing off our front end.. no one hurt. Dad's fault.

3 weeks later at the same roundabout..

Dad's got right away of way and he's tootling round the roundabout, "CRUNCH!".it's now Dad's turn to bury his car in the front end of the very same bloke from just 3 weeks earlier...

For some strange reason after that my Dad would drive out of his way just to avoid that place...

:

Not mine but my Dad's..

40 or so years ago Mum, Dad and myself were in the car, i can't recall why but Mum and Dad were having a bit of a barney, anyway Dad's concentration lapses and he pulls out at a roundabout and "CRUNCH!" we have a car bouncing off our front end.. no one hurt. Dad's fault.

3 weeks later at the same roundabout..

Dad's got right away of way and he's tootling round the roundabout, "CRUNCH!".it's now Dad's turn to bury his car in the front end of the very same bloke from just 3 weeks earlier...

For some strange reason after that my Dad would drive out of his way just to avoid that place...

:

I'm guessing the insurance settled 50/50? :lol: