Why is re-mapping an ECU so expensive?

jamess115

Fair enough on your responses cheers. On a similar subject, my car is speed limited to 112mph. Can I get this removed without going thru a re-map ..?

Hi there.......why is your car limited to 112 ? Sorry to ask or have I missed something.

Also is the DE engine maxed out at 155 or limited to 155 ? Anyone's thoughts please

Cheers

I thought deja vu had finished on this, help my head hurts.

yea it seems same topic different week a lot recently :dry:

Cheap cars now, people buy them for not much and want other things done for not much too, unfortunately nothing decent is cheap for these cars :(

dont think for any car you can get something that is truly decent and truly cheap tho, and as i always say you build two cars one with volks tein brides cucsco etc then build a car with the cheer costs or version ie rota apex omp summit racing etc it will never looks as good drive as good or feel as special as the other car built with end stuff

you get what you pay for

I got Rotas, does that make me cheap :cry:

:lol:

Didn't Say rotas were bad just imagine how much better would be with some nice wide ce28n lol

Fair enough on your responses cheers. On a similar subject, my car is speed limited to 112mph. Can I get this removed without going thru a re-map ..?

Hi there.......why is your car limited to 112 ? Sorry to ask or have I missed something.

Also is the DE engine maxed out at 155 or limited to 155 ? Anyone's thoughts please

Cheers

Jdm import

• Like 1

Cheers

Jdm import

In Japan it's illegal for a car to go over 112mph. God, didn't you watch Tokyo drift ;)

• Like 1

It has always struck me that its rather expensive for the DE remap as in theory its going to be a pretty much generic map, if you think about it

you can only fit certain mods before a remap, and as the std ECU will basically dial out anything improvements, the remap is tailored to take into consideration these upgrades and just loaded to the

ECU, OK there will be various things

people want, like mor than one map on cruse control cars, but in general its only ever going to require a quick tweak on the roller to get the end result.

Ahhh but you see every hooker is different (see what I did there Steve)

Some are pretty and perform in amazing ways £700

Some are god damn awful and perform like a retarded dog £50 and a free STI.

Each car is different, ok marginally different, but still my map could be slightly different than another revup car. Mileage differences, could play a factor in this.

I don't think its THAT expensive, unless you get a tuner that charges way more than another but with a lesser result with the figures.

Wait what I get a free Subaru where do I sign up :p

I thought deja vu had finished on this, help my head hurts.

yea it seems same topic different week a lot recently :dry:

Cheap cars now, people buy them for not much and want other things done for not much too, unfortunately nothing decent is cheap for these cars :(

dont think for any car you can get something that is truly decent and truly cheap tho, and as i always say you build two cars one with volks tein brides cucsco etc then build a car with the cheer costs or version ie rota apex omp summit racing etc it will never looks as good drive as good or feel as special as the other car built with end stuff

you get what you pay for

i disagree stevo, i won a brand new mishimoto radiator on ebay the other day, still in the box and never opened for 99p!

to be fair though its not every day you get a deal like that :teeth:

Does anyone know about the benefits/issues of using open source mapping like Linux? It seems much cheaper than standard ECU mapping.

Earlier point missed anyway, the problem with open source mapping software, is the problem with being able to access the std ECU, a lot of modern ECUs are locked and cannot be written to without the access code, which is probably why Up-Rev charge for the license, i would suspect that they have a concession from Nissan, not that i think the amount is justified.

As for the remap, don't forget the original Nissan map is generic, so if you think about it why shouldn't it be generic for a remap, i know dam well that if i was doing the remap i would have a generic map for each type of breathing mod already written ready to upload, it saves a lot of time and if the customer wanted certain tweaks then it cuts down the time spent faffing about on the rollers, although every car may slightly different, its unlikely that there will be enough that will change things by more than a couple of bhp.anyway

Cheers

Limited to 155mph. ;)

Get the limiter taken off as in a remap and it will do more (seen 170mph+). B)

• Like 2

Cheers

Limited to 155mph. ;)

I may still get the car remapped but my original question was whether its poss to get the limiter removed 'without' taking it for a remap ?

Cheers

Limited to 155mph. ;)

I may still get the car remapped but my original question was whether its poss to get the limiter removed 'without' taking it for a remap ?

Hks sell a speed limit defencer (sld) that would do the trick

• Like 1

I've got to agree, £400, especially for a DE where you will see hardly any noticeable improvements is a lot of money.

I wonder if they would do a group booking discount of some kind? If tyhe MAP takes less than an hour, including loading it onto the rollers and setting up I would assume they have different maps stored and ready to load. That's also £400 after you've spent a few hundred doing supporting mods like the intake spacer, etc.

Can we Ban this type of topic in future please people moaning at the price every week getting very tedious

right lets work this in reverse

£402 - VAT @20% = £335

£335 - uprev license needed per every ECU to crack it of £200 = £135

£135 - estimate on a basis of 2 hours in the work shop (mine was about 3 and a half) works out at about £67 per hour

to be honest that seem very fair and well priced

and anyone saying "But my Revo map for my 1.8t leon cost less and got more your pointing the obvious its turbocharged car and the engine was used in thousands of hot hatch model with a customer base which is about 10,000% larger than the 350z customer base, and all they do is download a map which add more fuel and boost to a safe level they dont tune it and tweak it to each car that comes threw the workshop

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 5

I think you will find its actually the license fee that most object to, and before you get on the "oh but you pay a license fee for MS office etc" bandwagon, the difference is that you own the MS office to do with it what you like, however with Up-rev you just own the license, you can do nothing with the software.

And may i suggest if you don't like to discus this then just don't post on the subject, and leave it to those that do.

• Like 1

I think you will find its actually the license fee that most object to, and before you get on the "oh but you pay a license fee for MS office etc" bandwagon, the difference is that you own the MS office to do with it what you like, however with Up-rev you just own the license, you can do nothing with the software.

And may i suggest if you don't like to discus this then just don't post on the subject, and leave it to those that do.

how you going to run Microsoft office without a PC honestly im intrigued

you can buy the up-rev with the data cables and software to load on to your own PC,

and if its the license fee then whys everyone quoting £400 for it is alot when its actually only £200

Bottom line if you dont like the price dont buy it ,
Edited by StevoD

I love the way so many people on here don't understand how business works, I genuinely wonder how some people manage to get through life.

Everyone needs to make money, so that they, and their business can SURVIVE!

Lets take Stevo's figures, and wind down on them a bit more.

£402 - VAT @20% = £335

£135 - estimate on a basis of 2 hours in the work shop (mine was about 3 and a half) works out at about £67 per hour.

£67 per hour, needs to cover the wage of the operator, for ease lets say he's on £17 per hour (£33,150 a year)

So we're left with £50 an hour, this needs to cover:

The electric bill, the dyno cost and maintenance, license fee's for the dyno software, building rent, the company insurance, council business rates, wage for the business owner, you're probably going to want a hot drink whilst you wait and obviously that isn't a gift from the fairies either. They've also got costs to cover which aren't related to your work, as whilst they're working on your car they can't work on someone else's, cost of ramps, tracking/alignment systems, scrap removal, tools, training, advertising, billing, phone bill so you can contact them, explaining all this crap to people...

Buy an ebay map with no license fee, please!

Genuinely, please! I need some parts for my car, and people selling them off cheaply when their engine blows is a great one as the bodyparts are generally fine.

Edited by AliveBoy
  • Like 2

I love the way so many people on here don't understand how business works, I genuinely wonder how some people manage to get through life.

Everyone needs to make money, so that they, and their business can SURVIVE!

Lets take Stevo's figures, and wind down on them a bit more.

£402 - VAT @20% = £335

£135 - estimate on a basis of 2 hours in the work shop (mine was about 3 and a half) works out at about £67 per hour.

£67 per hour, needs to cover the wage of the operator, for ease lets say he's on £17 per hour (£33,150 a year)

So we're left with £50 an hour, this needs to cover:

The electric bill, the dyno cost and maintenance, license fee's for the dyno software, building rent, the company insurance, council business rates, wage for the business owner, you're probably going to want a hot drink whilst you wait and obviously that isn't a gift from the fairies either. They've also got costs to cover which aren't related to your work, as whilst they're working on your car they can't work on someone else's, cost of ramps, tracking/alignment systems, scrap removal, tools, training, advertising, billing, phone bill so you can contact them, explaining all this crap to people...

Buy an ebay map with no license fee, please!

Genuinely, please! I need some parts for my car, and people selling them off cheaply when their engine blows is a great one as the bodyparts are generally fine.

Right as above people moaning the license fee is to much, lets put this into context but first do people know you pay the license once then you can add parts remove parts and get it mapped again without paying the license fee again, do see people moaning there paying £145 for a tv license every year

but any way

£200 per car

thats covering

uprevs machanics

uprevs research techs

uprevs development techs

uprevs support techs

uprevs manufacturing staff

Uprev test drivers

uprev admins taff

uprev finance staff

uprev receptionists

uprevs site costs ie insurance, land tax etc

Uprevs Travel costs for visiting all these tuning garages around the world to try and sell there product

Uprevs training courses

Uprevs entry into places like sema and other auto-cons

Uprev buying/renting Nissan and infinity cars with all sorts of engine etc for testing

Uprevs trading license

Uprevs advertising/sponsorship deals

uprevs dyno equipment

Uprevs Ramps and tools

plus more

and ontop of that making sure there is enough left in the pot for the shareholders

Edited by StevoD

Just to add some fire -

To buy a Dyno outright, you are looking well over £25k upwards :)

I'm pretty sure my last dyno tuner picked his up for around 4k second hand, its not shitter either 4wd up to 2500bhp.

Where can i get me an ebay map? lol

There is a very similar thread running on Scoobynet at the moment.............the conflicting comments are making my head explode :(

Don't read them :lol:

There is no point. This thread is pointless :lol:

The price is what the price is, doesn't matter why who what where how when MONKEYS.

No one will get it MUCH cheaper, people who want a remap will pay for the remap, people who don't won't.

BOOM! /Thread

• Like 1

No one will get it MUCH cheaper, people who want a remap will pay for the remap, people who don't won't.

BOOM! /Thread

Bottom line if you dont like the price dont buy it ,

look at the time just saying :p

Edited by StevoD