Why is re-mapping an ECU so expensive?

jamess115

I am pretty sure when I had my zed done at Abbey I had to sign some sort of waiver? I can't remember exactly what it was but I think it was along the lines that I am the one responsible if it goes pop. Although they did forget to ask me to sign it until after they had finished!

Aye, I think that contract is for the Dyno use. If anything goes wrong when your car has it's tits revved off etc.

A professional tuner will most likely have indemnity insurance though, so if they do goose something, they should be covered enough to fix it. Some bloke down the pub with his laptop and a hooky remap is not going to offer much by way of warranty imho.

Though I have never had a car remapped or ever put one on a dyno in my life, so Im just making assumptions there.

Yes! most professional re-mappers will have some form of indemnity, however like i said i have seen some nasty wrangles over blame, which is why i mentioned it.

And FYI i have been talking about my own experience's and wouldn't remap anyones car apart form my own for precisely those reasons, despite being asked , if anyone is daft enough to have their cars remapped by "some bloke down the pub" which i am not! is asking for trouble!

BTW i am rather disheartened to see the amount of posts that are basically of the "if you don't agree with me, i will just try and make as many derogatory and belittling remarks as possible until you give up" verity here, its rather sad and childish for whats supposed to be an adult forum.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

Hang on Tricky Ricky, when I said you dont understand I was referring to this:

"oh but you pay a license fee for MS office etc" bandwagon' date=' the difference is that you own the MS office to do with it what you like, however with Up-rev you just own the license, you can do nothing with the software.[/quote']

You must have bought licenses yourself, youve then used them, you dont have to pay each time you plug your laptop into your car ............ thats not opinion mate, thats fact. Its definitely not childish anyway, particualrly when the consensus here is that you have to buy a license every time you visit the mapper :wacko:

Edited by docwra

Here's a good example for you all.

My brother spent £150 on having his diesel Nissan van "chipped". The guy was there 30mins (mobile service with a laptop) and said it was now 30bhp better off once he had finished it (no proof). Yep it was faster and he was pretty pleased. That was a year ago, now his van is still as fast but the shear amount of black crap that comes out the exhaust is unbelievable. Plus hes had problems with the injectors and his mpg is aweful.

Now for £225 (group buy ðŸ˜) extra I had a very experienced engineer that's very experienced with a zed personally tune my car while on a rolling road and take time to explain every detail of what's been done to it. And the more I drive it the happier I'm with his work.

Moral of the story "you kind of like get what you pay for"

My brother spent £150 on having his diesel Nissan van "chipped". The guy was there 30mins (mobile service with a laptop) and said it was now 30bhp better off once he had finished it (no proof). Yep it was faster and he was pretty pleased. That was a year ago, now his van is still as fast but the shear amount of black crap that comes out the exhaust is unbelievable. Plus hes had problems with the injectors and his mpg is aweful.

Now for £225 (group buy í ½í¸) extra I had a very experienced engineer that's very experienced with a zed personally tune my car while on a rolling road and take time to explain every detail of what's been done to it. And the more I drive it the happier I'm with his work.

Wait. you've literally just dropped the bomb on Hiroshima with that post.

You got your Zed mapped for £225?

And then at the end said 'You get what you pay for'? :lol: (Not having a dig, just wanted to get the lols in before someone takes offence to your post :lol: )

"oh but you pay a license fee for MS office etc" bandwagon' date=' the difference is that you own the MS office to do with it what you like, however with Up-rev you just own the license, you can do nothing with the software.[/quote']

You must have bought licenses yourself, youve then used them, you dont have to pay each time you plug your laptop into your car ............ thats not opinion mate, thats fact. Its definitely not childish anyway, particualrly when the consensus here is that you have to buy a license every time you visit the mapper :wacko:

I wasn't actually referring to your post mate regarding that comment, anyway what i mean is that with a piece of software you buy the license and you have full control of that particular bit of programming, but with the up-rev (at least with a straight remap, and to a similar degree with the full software) you buy a license and the remap but have no further access to that software, and i know that the license gives up to three remaps for each license, and like i said when i considered buying the software/license i was put off by the fact that if i wanted to use it on another car that i owned i would still have to buy further license's.

• Like 1

I wasn't actually referring to your post mate regarding that comment, anyway what i mean is that with a piece of software you buy the license and you have full control of that particular bit of programming, but with the up-rev (at least with a straight remap, and to a similar degree with the full software) you buy a license and the remap but have no further access to that software, and i know that the license gives up to three remaps for each license, and like i said when i considered buying the software/license i was put off by the fact that if i wanted to use it on another car that i owned i would still have to buy further license's.

is that right as i know abbey bought some licenses back didnt they why couldnt you just transfer it

Now for £225 (group buy ��) extra I had a very experienced engineer that's very experienced with a zed personally tune my car while on a rolling road and take time to explain every detail of what's been done to it. And the more I drive it the happier I'm with his work.

Wait. you've literally just dropped the bomb on Hiroshima with that post.

You got your Zed mapped for £225?

And then at the end said 'You get what you pay for'? :lol: (Not having a dig, just wanted to get the lols in before someone takes offence to your post :lol: )

when he said extra I think he means on top of the £150 his brother spent, ie £375 not £225.

is that right as i know abbey bought some licenses back didnt they why couldnt you just transfer it

Yes you can transfer the license, but if you own the software you need to contact up-rev direct to do this,

and in any case i was talking about if i sold my car with a remap and wanted to remap another car i owned, i would have to purchase a further license.

BTW i am rather disheartened to see the amount of posts that are basically of the "if you don't agree with me, i will just try and make as many derogatory and belittling remarks as possible until you give up" verity here, its rather sad and childish for whats supposed to be an adult forum.

You mean like simply replying with a yawn smiley when someone gave you some decent info you might have actually wanted to take on board, because you actually dont know best? Stones and glass houses spring to mind ;)

Personally i think uprev is expensive. I can buy an Apexi stand alone ecu for £595 for an Rx7, a decent first map session will cost £300 on the rollers, less if you want to hunt about and subsequent changes at an hourly rate, i have never been on a dyno for more than an hour for changes, exhaust, fuel pump, intercooler etc etc, usually @ £110 per hour.

It was always advised if the question was asked, "i want to learn to map", from various members, learn on a na car, unless your a complete ham fisted fool, its very difficult to get it badly wrong. Turbo cars are very different, get it wrong and it will go wrong badly and quickly, its a fine art on turbo cars, using boost gain on controllers, fuel pressure, water/meth injection etc etc if you want to get the absolute most out of the car.

A couple of times a tuner had said to me, i dont think we can get any more even by upping the boost, but its your call, if it goes pop you have been warned.

I certainly dont think there is any black magic in tuning a 350, a base map will be uploaded and tweaked, hence they all make similar power with the same mods, but imho there definitely is with turbo cars and mappers :)

Edited by Jetpilot

So does that make me uber-brave or uber-stupid that I started on a converted turbocharged car?! :D

No wait, don't answer that, I think I already know...

Didn't you also attempt to see if you could breathe underwater upside down or something? :lol:

You mean like simply replying with a yawn smiley when someone gave you some decent info you might have actually wanted to take on board, because you actually dont know best? Stones and glass houses spring to mind ;)

I did that simply because i'd had enough of you keep trying to play the " i know more" game, and wanted to have the last word ,and i am afraid I'm too long in the tooth for playing silly buggers, i have been tuning cars and bikes for more years than most here, and i don't claim to know best either,

but I'm past arguing the toss,

i was simply trying to pass on some knowledge to the OP about the mistakes made with running large dia exhaust on a N/A car and used the turbocharged engine as an example, not a statement of precise fact just an example, but you insisted on trying to correct me and quoting other sites in an effort to prove your point,

PS: my quote was not aimed at you either.

PPS i also taught myself to map on a turbocharged car, and have never blown an engine.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

I'm involved with software production and licensing from time to time at work.

Take a little thing like an RSA token (security things, look like a USB stick, got a small LCD display on them, probably about £3 to manufacture) cost like £35 each and the licence is another £70 (both depending on how many you buy) and ALL your 1000 roaming staff need one each. Then to top it off these babies come with an enforced limited lifespan. So even if they still work in say 3 years time, you need to spend again.

Feeling ripped off much?

However, some genius came up with the secret algorithm that goes inside the token and on the RSA server and it makes for a nice secure authentication process that people can use to stop the Russian Mafia stealing their stuff, and said genius now drives a Ferrari and winters in Monaco. Good luck to him/her, they solved a real problem and reap the benefit. I may be a money grabbing swine, but I wouldn't give it away for free when loads of people are willing to pay - and lets be clear, uprev isn't the same as some faceless evil mega corp charging people for a disease cure, it's something that is totally not necessary to your survival/existence as a human, you elect to spend the cash or not.

I know these tokens I'm on about aren't directly uprev relevant, but the sheer number of hours that go into producing quality and RESILIENT software is insane!!!! I know people think it's a sweaty warhammer geek in a dark room thumbing a softie whilst watching Miley Cyrus videos but it so isn't.

Once you have the requirements (that bit isn't cheap BTW), then there's the kit, the coding, the environments for testing, the testing, the bug fixes, more testing, more bug fixes, more testing, more bug fixes, a load of new requirements and starting again, then going live anyway, then dot releases - then on top of all of that there's the project support and the admin support and an HR department, and having a building that the people work in and utilities and PAYE and NI and all the varieties of insurance and business rates and so on - there's probably loads more.

People flip out when something crashes or is expensive but no one bats an eyelid at the millions and millions of instructions that complete successfully over and over and over again - like the magic that is all of the internet hardware and software making this discussion possible - 4 hours without a mobile network functioning and people are ready to grab pitchforks and start looting :lol:

Just my two pennies.

• Like 2