Why is re-mapping an ECU so expensive?

jamess115

Are people really complaning that £400 is too expensive for a remap? Really?!

So something that has noticeably tangible differences on the driving experience is too expensive, but a fibreglass rip off bumper that doesn't actually fit very well and needs prep and paint is perfectly okay at the same price?

Okay, so you can sell one on, but even so. Do people still buy CDs and not downloads?

• Like 2

Probably right, nobody is going to agree anyway, as we all come at this with different perspectives, and since i am perfectly capable of fitting and mapping my own ECU i am biased anyway, as i know how difficult/easy it is to create a generic map.

Probably right, nobody is going to agree anyway, as we all come at this with different perspectives, and since i am perfectly capable of fitting and mapping my own ECU i am biased anyway, as i know how difficult/easy it is to create a generic map.

right so you can see people who want cheaper remaps there's a market for it and your not capitalizing on it, If you think you can do it less then you have one hell of a future business you should be starting

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 1

52292937.jpg

• Like 1

52292937.jpg

do think the Zlabs bodyparts stash could do with a boost actually

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 1

I think you will find its actually the license fee that most object to, and before you get on the "oh but you pay a license fee for MS office etc" bandwagon, the difference is that you own the MS office to do with it what you like, however with Up-rev you just own the license, you can do nothing with the software.

Except if you add more mods and take the car back for the remap, you dont have to pay the license fee again. You could even buy a cable and start mapping the car yourself if you want ........... so its not only like MS Office, you effectively get the source code as well.

And £400 isnt even two rear tyres for my car, if you think thats a lot of money for better power, torque, throttle response and economy youre driving the wrong car.

I think you will find its actually the license fee that most object to, and before you get on the "oh but you pay a license fee for MS office etc" bandwagon, the difference is that you own the MS office to do with it what you like, however with Up-rev you just own the license, you can do nothing with the software.

Except if you add more mods and take the car back for the remap, you dont have to pay the license fee again. You could even buy a cable and start mapping the car yourself if you want ........... so its not only like MS Office, you effectively get the source code as well.

And £400 isnt even two rear tyres for my car, if you think thats a lot of money for better power, torque, throttle response and economy youre driving the wrong car.

i can do £400 on a drift/track day easily

Fair enough on your responses cheers. On a similar subject, my car is speed limited to 112mph. Can I get this removed without going thru a re-map ..?

Hi there.......why is your car limited to 112 ? Sorry to ask or have I missed something.

Also is the DE engine maxed out at 155 or limited to 155 ? Anyone's thoughts please

Cheers

Limited to 155mph. ;)

Get the limiter taken off as in a remap and it will do more (seen 170mph+). B)

I may still get the car remapped but my original question was whether its poss to get the limiter removed 'without' taking it for a remap ?

I believe some of the tuners on here can supply the uprev without being there but you need the cable. Obviously you'll get better results on the dyno tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In fairness, if someone can map a car themselves then fair play to them. I did some minor tweaks to my own MR2 when I had the turbo put on, due to the supplied map knocking at various points so it's not hugely difficult if you understand the theory. That said, I've no doubt any professional would've done a better job than me, and it took me hours of road testing to get it to where I was happy with it. If it hadn't been for the fact that I was enjoying the learning experience as much as anything, I'd have definitely been better off taking it to a tuner.

£400 is peanuts though, especially when it comes to modding.

• Like 1

right so you can see people who want cheaper remaps there's a market for it and your not capitalizing on it, If you think you can do it less then you have one hell of a future business you should be starting

And have to put up with all the moaning about price! :p

Actually one of the main reasons for me not buying the Up-revOsiriss/tuner is the fact that if i decided to sell my car with the ECUremappedd, i would have to pay to be able to remap another.

In fairness, if someone can map a car themselves then fair play to them. I did some minor tweaks to my own MR2 when I had the turbo put on, due to the supplied map knocking at various points so it's not hugely difficult if you understand the theory. That said, I've no doubt any professional would've done a better job than me, and it took me hours of road testing to get it to where I was happy with it. If it hadn't been for the fact that I was enjoying the learning experience as much as anything, I'd have definitely been better off taking it to a tuner.

£400 is peanuts though, especially when it comes to modding.

Agreed! i am certain that a professional mapper could extract a few more BHP for most of the cars i have mapped, but i also enjoy the learning process, and have never shied away from a challenge when it comes to doing things my self, which is why apart from being a tight ass, that i have done everything to my past cars, and thinking about it i don't think i have ever paid more than 1.6K for a single item, and that was a complete SH big turbo kit for my Supra, which is another reason i don't agree with paying the price for whats supposed to be the "best"

I would rather do my research and buy the most cost effective item for the job, rather that the name, everyone is fond of the "you get what you pay for" adage, but i disagree, and have found plenty of very acceptable parts for sensible money.

I would rather do my research and buy the most cost effective item for the job, rather that the name, everyone is fond of the "you get what you pay for" adage, but i disagree, and have found plenty of very acceptable parts for sensible money.

good parts for sensible money is one thing cheap parts for cheap money is something else

like rotas i have had and having nothing against rota but the finish of the wheel is never as good and never look quite as good as the real wheel there impersonating

Edited by StevoD

as i know how difficult/easy it is to create a generic map.

But you seem to misunderstand the licensing of said software .......... that surprises me.

Theres also a danger of getting it wrong and lunching your engine, theres the time you have to spend learning, the time you have to spend actually mapping and testing ......... and £200 thrown at someone who knows what they are doing is "expensive"?

as i know how difficult/easy it is to create a generic map.

But you seem to misunderstand the licensing of said software .......... that surprises me.

I don't misunderstand, i simply have an opinion...like everyone else here.

Theres also a danger of getting it wrong and lunching your engine, theres the time you have to spend learning, the time you have to spend actually mapping and testing ......... and £200 thrown at someone who knows what they are doing is "expensive"?

Of course there is, conversely i have seen quite a few instances of professionals getting it wrong, at least i will only have myself to blame if i get it wrong, and not the trouble and expense of a legal wrangle if its a mapper,

and FYI i have not damaged any engine ...so far. ;)

A professional tuner will most likely have indemnity insurance though, so if they do goose something, they should be covered enough to fix it. Some bloke down the pub with his laptop and a hooky remap is not going to offer much by way of warranty imho.

Though I have never had a car remapped or ever put one on a dyno in my life, so Im just making assumptions there.

A professional tuner will most likely have indemnity insurance though, so if they do goose something, they should be covered enough to fix it

Some do, but will only stand behind it if they have built/extensively checked the engine prior to mapping - if the injector you bought off "dodgy Mick" for half what it should have been lets go then you cant really blame the guy with the rollers. Ive seen a lot of these kind of disputes turn nasty ........... but it shouldnt ever happen with something as generic as upRev on a 350. :)

I am pretty sure when I had my zed done at Abbey I had to sign some sort of waiver? I can't remember exactly what it was but I think it was along the lines that I am the one responsible if it goes pop. Although they did forget to ask me to sign it until after they had finished!