Anyone running a Supersprint exhaust system???

megatombomb

People sure love to defend their purchases don't they!?

Everyone will say their exhaust sounds the best, I never said the SS sounded the best but the front sections could provide a perfect base to build on imo.

I don't care what it looks like tbh I think stock rear tips are the most tasteful anyway (again subjective), I don't get any kicks from metal pipes i cant see. Nor will a tiny weight saving make any justifiable difference in the real world so that doesn't bother me either. Also not all that bothered about power gains but its a bonus if they come. This isnt about money either. At no point have I said I want to spend as much as £2700 or more but if it gives me what I'm after then I would.

This is mainly a vanity purchase for the sound if I'm honest. It was one of the reasons I bought another Z.

In fact I have so far spent £88 as abit of a punt on a 'Fox centrepipe' in the hope of achieving this.........

Sounds nice to me.... hollow, metallic but not too raspy. Would like a little higher pitch though. According to the vid that HR's sound was the result of just a centre pipe change but I remain sceptical until I try it.

I hope I will find what is 'best' for me a least. If you like it great! If you don't, great!

Thanks for contributing though especially to those who were constructive!

It's not people defending their own systems, it's just getting our heads around the price tag...

And for me you have it round the wrong way, if you are paying for that price, you want to be going for the BHP increase over Sound. But as I said, NO road car will benefit from that increase for that price.

If you want a perfect sound, go custom.

If I was to pay that price for an awesome sound, I'd want an exhaust for when I turn up to a meet for it to turn EVERYONE'S heads, and for them all to crowd me and go WOW, what do you have...

This does not do that, it sounds like every other exhaust every other 350z has.

Just out of curiosity, have you heard this system in person?

• Like 1

You can have oem tail pipe look as well. Seriously have a good listen across youtube. Every video is different. I spent 2.5 years searching for the RIGHT sound for my ears and you sound a particular type of guy. I think you'd be disappointed with the SS. It sounds just a little too traditional.

Exhausts are very particular but if the SS ticks the boxes get it and show it off!

I was constructive by offering to let you listen to my setup, offer still stands.

Wasnt defending my purchases either as I said I find the the amuse titanium the best exhaust for a z (centre and rear box) however seeing as I have the whole lot I will say mine sounds the best, and it does ;)

Also the titanium will be quite alot lighter than the stainless version not a tiny bit, supersprint do nice exhausts but at 2700 for a stainless system theres a reason why no one has one, for that money you get titanium

Hi guys a bit off topic but just to say I really enjoyed my new Z pick up today....ironic it had to rain like real hard as soon as the drive began and all the way home!

Thanks for the vids of exhausts. But were all of these exhaust vids based on an HR model? The HR and DE sound subtly different to these ears.

Now queue minor rant....

I still don't get how some people think that I think the full SS system sounds amazing. The full system indeed is way too dull in its sound output, its the longtube headers that create the basis from which I and many others (though not on here it seems!) think results in the best sound from an HR 350z when combined with whatever centre and rear of choice to complete it.

Another thing seems odd to me.... I read arguments that say 'you wont get much power, theres better things to spent £2700 on for power etc etc'. Surely if one did max the engine as NA or FI build then only a plonker wouldnt budget for proper longtube headers to get the most out of it as the standard heads are significantly the most restricted part of the exhaust flow. But I digress.... as said, I not doing this for power gains anyway. 300bhp is already hard enough to use on roads like mine which are quite narrow, twisty and mostly wet! Mostly.

From reading some replies I get a sneaky feeling that if priced at £1000 for the manifolds and cats the SS would sell like hotcakes but because a lot of people cant afford it (or simply don't want to spend £2700 on their pride and joy) it results in some form of mild jealous stubborness, I am at least being open minded and have said I'm open to options to achieve the sound I want. Believe me I would rather spend £1000 or less on these parts but more so I would rather spend £2700+ on something I love than £1000 on something I don't.

All in my honest, humble opinion. Sorry if I seem so argumentative lol I just felt some replies warranted a response. Prepped for flaming :-)

Just do what you want. ;)

People on here are only voicing their opinions ~ it's worth noting though that some of the people that have voiced their opinions are speaking from experience having had various exhaust set ups on their Zeds which they've owned for years.

The video I posted of the Motordyne system was on a HR Zed btw. One thing worth realizing is that these exhausts never sound the same on video as they do in person but I'm sure you know that. :thumbs:

Wow wow wow, so it's only the headers and cats that cost £2700, not the full system?

Insane price or what?! :scare::surrender:

I'd rather Borla manifolds @£800 and Berks HFC's @£450 odd plus the spare change for a Motordyne system & an UpRev.

Each to their own. ;)

I just did a little search and found the headers for just over £1000, so that means they charge near £1700 for the cats alone :lol:

The only thing unique about this system is that they incorporate HFC's in a system with long tube headers. However, the likes of Powerflow will do the same thing for you for a tiny fraction of the cost.

but because a lot of people cant afford it (or simply don't want to spend £2700 on their pride and joy) it results in some form of mild jealous stubborness,

:yawn:

Could afford it, nobody's jealous... only a plonker would pay way over the odds for something that sounds generic and provides minimal gains.

You came on here asking for opinions, you didn't like them so starting laying out subtle insults? What did you expect? No rational person is going to say that spending £2700 on some headers and cats is a good idea... unless they provide massive gains, sound like nothing else available or are made of gold plated whale foreskins.

• Like 1

Its got to be a wind up Paddy.

To spend £2,700 on your pride and joy is just down right rude. I daren't even begin to start adding up the total cost I've spent on my zed over the last 4 years + but lets just say its probably more than you paid for your HR so there's no jealousy fella at all.

We can all spend stupid amounts when we want to, but like Paddy said you're looking for opinions or at least answers. As mentioned previously people wouldn't normally spend £2,700 on part of an exhaust, let alone the full system, unless its a ARC Ti which in my opinion would epically walk all over the SS on every conceivable angle.

I think you've antagonised a number of members here just passing simple advice and I'm sure those who've seen this thread think you're off your rocker.

Best get the SS and be happy about it. Unless you're looking for attention?

I'd love to see how amazing this exhaust is to see exactly how they warrant the price tag.

Hmmm only a mild flaming.....some took it better than others. It has been most revealing to me. Few seem to have taken my comments for what they were meant to be. Reading back I can perhaps see why that may be. Shame though. Didn't mean to 'insult' or 'antagonise' anyone just raise an open and honest discussion on the title subject. I asked my friend to read through the thread. He said something about overreactions or something. Had me ROFL. He doesn't get involved in internet discussions himself lol.

Guys I truly always try to see both sides of the coin. I positively recommend it! (I owned two 3.0 Alfa GTV's and often describe them as simultaneously the best and worst cars I have personally driven). My spectacles are never rose tinted so to speak.

So, £2700 isn't a lot to spend on ones Z after all..... or is it? Honestly?? Confused. It seems as long as it isn't spent on a Supersprint exhaust then its ok.

I certainly have no allegiance in the slightest to SS and have never owned one (but seen a couple) of their systems though it begs the question.... how on earth have they built up such an enormous customer base over 60 years amongst owners of many, many kinds of cars, both humble and seriously exotic with such 'insane' prices?

I will probably regret asking that :bang:

Well thanks for all the vids and most of the comments guys, there are many fine choices for the car indeed and I am spoilt for choice it will not be easy choosing which one to go for (well, erm, it certainly wont be 'powerflow' :doh:).

Now I wonder if I'll be welcome at any meets :bleh:

So, £2700 isn't a lot to spend on ones Z after all..... or is it? Honestly?? Confused. It seems as long as it isn't spent on a Supersprint exhaust then its ok.

It is a lot to spend on exhaust manifolds and CATs, ...in fact I'd say it was a pretty insane amount to spend on manifolds & CATs. Especially when other top brands will do the same job and some will do a better job for less money.

Well thanks for all the vids and most of the comments guys, there are many fine choices for the car indeed and I am spoilt for choice it will not be easy choosing which one to go for (well, erm, it certainly wont be 'powerflow' :doh:).

Now I wonder if I'll be welcome at any meets :bleh:

There are a lot of choices and plenty of traders on here that will give you decent prices on these things through the forum as well. Two examples below;

The Cougar Store; http://cougarstore.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_10&zenid=bcaa60565806895c2c0f2d2ff1b32aee

Tarmac Sportz; http://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/products.aspx?CategoryId=32850911-9f8a-43e4-a5fc-24678e254d1d

Whatever you decide to do just be sure it's what makes you happy as you're the one that has to live with it.

My advice would be to go to some meets and listen to different exhaust setups that people have. That will give you a much clearer example of what these systems sound like than any video ever will. :thumbs:

Please GMBallistic what exhaust system (and I refer only to the manifolds and sports cats here) do a better job for less money.?

In youre humble and honest opinion of course? ;)

I think I have looked at all the options from all the UK traders and even a couple of US ones and I cannot find a better front end exhaust setup for a RHD HR car regardless of price. I don't know if it is the best setup but it is my best educated guess.

But please prove me wrong and maybe save a guy some dough in the process :surrender:

You seem to have a real passive aggressive attitude megatombomb. :dry: That's just the way you're coming across to me anyway. :rolleyes:

If your talking like for like then your right you can't really find long tube manifolds for the 350. SG Motorsports used to make them but they have since stopped trading. My local exhaust fabricators though could make some up I'm sure which would be a lot cheaper than the SuperSprint versions with similar results.

Short manifolds ~ well there are a whole host of companies (Stillen, DC Sports, Borla etc) that make decent manifolds for the DE and HR Zeds. Same goes for the CAT's. Both giving good proven results.

Tbh though I'm past caring ~ as everyone has said it's your money, your Zed so do what makes you happy.

SuperSprint long tube headers where discussed once before on here but this is as far as it went; http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/35184-supersprint-long-tube-exhaust-manifolds/

• Like 2

how on earth have they built up such an enormous customer base over 60 years amongst owners of many, many kinds of cars, both humble and seriously exotic with such 'insane' prices?

When none of the 350Z UK owners club have one, I wouldnt describe that as "enormous".

Please GMBallistic what exhaust system (and I refer only to the manifolds and sports cats here) do a better job for less money.?

Any after market Cats/Manifolds?

It's just daft going for this setup if you don't have a billion ponies hiding under the engine to get the best lap round the ring in!

It's just like spending £5k on speakers, and buying a £50 Amp to go with it.

• Like 1

because a lot of people cant afford it (or simply don't want to spend £2700 on their pride and joy) it results in some form of mild jealous stubborness,

id love to put up some of my receipts but im not a self centered ar$ehole who thinks im better than anyone else. theres alot of us on here who have splashed thousands upon thousands on our cars so i think youve got it all wrong mate. i think you have just read the sales pitch about these manifolds and got a little hard on over it. then came on here asking folks honest opinions and got all worked up when they tried to give you advice. i honestly dont care whether you buy them or not as its your money, your car, just dont get all snobby and up yourself

• Like 2

because a lot of people cant afford it (or simply don't want to spend £2700 on their pride and joy) it results in some form of mild jealous stubborness,

id love to put up some of my receipts but im not a self centered ar$ehole who thinks im better than anyone else. theres alot of us on here who have splashed thousands upon thousands on our cars so i think youve got it all wrong mate. i think you have just read the sales pitch about these manifolds and got a little hard on over it. then came on here asking folks honest opinions and got all worked up when they tried to give you advice. i honestly dont care whether you buy them or not as its your money, your car, just dont get all snobby and up yourself

Thing is, there is a lot of money being spent on this forum on these cars and coming on all high and mighty acting like you're the only one with anything but moths in your wallet is not going to make you friends.

Saying that, I do only have moths in my wallet but that's because I've spent it all on my car. :lol:

• Like 1