Goodwood Festival of Speed - tips?

marzman

I've been fortunate enough to have earned through work a pair of 'Access All Areas' passes for the Goodwood FoS next weekend, for Fri-Sun.

I've always wanted to go but I've never been before due to the cost/distance making it a £500+ weekend for me, but seeing as the tickets are free on this occasion i thought it would be rude not to, so im having a weekend away with my bro!

So, not knowing very much about it, and the website being pretty much devoid of information, can anyone give me any tips on what to expect on the day, what's not to be missed, or what to avoid?

Also car parking... I take it there are car parks onsite?

Walking. Lots and lots and lots of walking.

There are car parks, but get there early. Like two hours early, else you'll be queuing for aaaaaaaaages. Easy enough as you're staying down there.

Get a programme early and decide who/what you want to see going up the hill, and plan the days around that.

More walking.

Do go to the top of the hill to get autographs and stuff. Don't expect that to be easy!

Do take some time to watch the rally stuff down through the SS.

Do eat early, as again queues get excessive.

Don't spend too much time in front of the house with all the main OEM stands, they're usually a bit crap despite the glamour and they rarely have stuff you can't see by walking into a dealership anyway.

Did I mention the walking?

• Like 2

Did I mention I'm putting "Marmite" in the Supercar Paddock... :yahoo:

Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2014 12:23 PM

To: will@gncctv.com

Subject: RE: Supercar Entry List.

Good afternoon Will.

Thank you for your email.

We would be delighted to have your 350Z in our supercar parking.

Please mention when booking that this has been authorised by me.

We look forward to welcoming you to Goodwood Festival of Speed.

Kindest Regards

Tracey Westlake

Senior Executive Goodwood.

01243 755 055

If youre AAA, its a different ballgame mate ;)

Get down early and go have breakfast at the airport cafe, you can park there too and with any luck your pass should mean you can get one of the cars they lay on to take you to the VIP entrance.

Have a look round the OE stuff, then go to the hospitality by the first bend and stay there drinking Pimms all day is my advice. Best place to watch the action and you meet some proper incredible people in there too :thumbs:

Id advise a tour round the concours d'elegance and the "pits", Ive not ever been much further than that though :lol:

I had the option to take tea with Lord March when I was last there but blew it out as I was loving the hill too much, youre going to have a blinder :D

Edited by docwra

I went down with Colin and Darren a couple of years back, Darren knew a sneaky route into the place which meant not queuing on the main road in - think we sat in about 10 mins of queues then we were in and parked!

When I went 2 years ago we stayed in a hotel nearby which meant we didn't have to get up at silly o'clock and enjoy it without being tired. Arrived at the hotel the night before and then got to the show quite early and luckily didn't have to wait long at all to get parked. Plus getting there early means its quieter inside and you can get a good head start looking round :)

Have fun mate!

I plan to spend some time at the start this Saturday - and enjoy the smokescreens :D

As others have said - get their early to avoid the worst of the queues - car parks open at 6.30 and the venue gates at 7am.

• Like 1

Good afternoon Will.

Kindest Regards

Tracey Westlake

01243 755 055

What day are you going. ? I will be in the Supercar paddock on the Friday, so suppose I had better give the 370 a bit of a polish. :)

Thanks everyone. Im really looking forward to it.

Have any of you ever camped there? I've never been camping before anywhere and i dont really fancy it, but we're having a hard time finding a hotel anywhere within 40 miles... :doh:

Good afternoon Will.

Kindest Regards

Tracey Westlake

01243 755 055

What day are you going. ? I will be in the Supercar paddock on the Friday, so suppose I had better give the 370 a bit of a polish. :)

370Z are not on the list... :teeth:

Look at the money involved. Insane figures.

Tbh it's too busy now, and that's part of the reason I don't go any more. If they just reduced the amount but increased the cost per ticket, I'd go again. Quality over quantity and all that.

• Like 3

Agreed, i have been going for a number of years but am put off by how big its all become, too many people :scare: , i understand why its become so popular though. many people over the years have said to me that they go to FOS because it was cheaper than the GP, not sure now! the price of success i guess, i have to say as well though I've never been caught in any massive delays at all over the last 8/9yrs, always been impressed by the organisation of it all. :)

• Like 1

I'm not aware of any other motoring festivals on a par with FoS - they get F35s and Eurofighters turning up for christ's sake! But it's still too busy. Never been to the revival and maybe I should try it out this year instead, even if the period dress code is a ridiculous faff...

Gatebil is pretty mad, as is SEMA TBF but Goodwood is the best in the UK. Sadly as per others I just find it too crowded these days, I wouldnt go unless I had hospitality tickets and even then Id probably only do Thursday and Friday, maybe Sat morning. Have fun though, first time I went was the week after Id watched Aston win GT1 at Le Mans and I got to meet a couple of the drivers and have a good chat, also had a really nice chat about the GT4 350Z with the guy who runs RJN, you arent going to get that at JAE ;):lol:

Edited by docwra

Friday is the best day really, less crowds and easier to get up close to the motors you want to see.

I'd highly recommend walking or getting the tractor (if it's not bone dry - as it's sooooo dusty) up the hill to the forest rally stage.

We usually get there for around 7am-ish, and worth taking your own supplies in - but as others have said, loads of wondering around.

Be warned, phone signal is dire - so if you are going to meet anyone, set a time/place beforehand.

Lastly, don't leave when everyone else does, take another hour or so to chill.

ENJOY :)

Edited by RobPhoboS
  • Like 2

Yesss... i've just had a phone call - i've been given a hospitality ticket for the F1 at Silverstone the weekend after too! Get in!!

I've been working with Silverstone on a large project with them for the last 8 months, and it finally came to an end in May, so both this and Goodwood tickets were to say thanks!

... then the weekend after i'm down in London at Wembley watching Eminem... so 3 epic weekends in a row!

• Like 1

Id go buy a lottery ticket quick, your jammyness might not have run out yet ;):lol:

Not jealous or owt, honest ........ :surrender:

Ha, i wish it was luck. Sadly it was ridiculous amounts of hard work, which led to me almost quitting my job! At one point i worked out that based on a standard 7.5 hour day, i'd done 23 weeks work in a 13 week period, with a lot of the 'extra' work being unpaid.

• Like 2

Id go buy a lottery ticket quick, your jammyness might not have run out yet ;):lol:

Not jealous or owt, honest ........ :surrender:

Ha, i wish it was luck. Sadly it was ridiculous amounts of hard work, which led to me almost quitting my job! At one point i worked out that based on a standard 7.5 hour day, i'd done 23 weeks work in a 13 week period, with a lot of the 'extra' work being unpaid.

You deserve it mate. Enjoy. :snack:

• Like 1