Exchange Rate

Jetpilot

So with the exchange rate against the yen getting better and better (think the low was under 120 yen to the £), currently sitting at 173, whats peoples opinions on whether the import market will kick off again.

I was buying from the docks some 10 years ago when it was high 170's up to all time high of well over 200.

A possible list:

370z

GT86

Mk3 Mx5's

Late model Evos/Scoobs

R35's :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

and sure a plethora of people carriers/4x4's that we might not have seen!

Edited by Jetpilot

I don't think it ever will, tbh. People don't want Jap sports cars any more, they want hot hatches or German diesels. Nobody wants an uber-Scoob, nor an R35 covered in Japanese writing inside, and the BRZ86 isn't getting any more popular until they release a full power version of it.

The Jap import scene was big years ago because you couldn't buy those cars over here full stop, but now you can get OEM warranty-backed versions here so there's no point in trying to save a few quid with the risk/hassle involved IMHO. It's a shame perhaps, but the world has moved on.

So you dont think there is a market for a 35gtr at £20k or a 370z at £12k? I have no idea if thats factual, but have seen gtr's on jdm trade websites @ 20k, so can only imagine through the big auction houses that would be a realistic figure to expect them landed for :)

I would also say there were plenty of imports that were available over here uk supplied, 350z, rx7, s bodies of various guises, is200, mx5's, supras etc etc

I havent had a uk car for the last 12+ years and apart from going mad on big bhp rx7's not had a single issue that i wouldnt expect with uk cars.

Edited by Jetpilot

I can see a lot of GTR's being imported.

They were ridiculously priced over here compared to Japan when first released.

I'd definitely buy one if the price, condition and spec were right.

What a car for £32k.

Must be the best value car ever.

I know a few people who say that they are too big and fast for our roads.

Never had the chance to drive or even sit in one.

I'd take a chance on a import for £20-£25k.

Has anyone ever been to japan to buy a car and shipped it back?

Shipping isnt that bad, £800 ish to the docks and obviously lots of different tax ;)

If the cars are under 10 years old they will need a sva and model report, again no problem but added cost.

There are quite a few places on line that outline the fees, obviously it wont happen till the margin between a uk car and import is enough of a saving, its not going to happen for a couple of grand.

Not sure why imports are seen as a risk/hassle or a chance etc I have never had any problems with imports and if there is the odd different part its easily sourced through a dealer or swapped for a uk spec alternative. :) once your out of warranty, its no different to buying a 2nd hand uk car imho.

Edited by Jetpilot

Torque GT are a good company to ask for advice on importing. I have an import at the moment, as soon as you fire up the car you forget its not registered in the UK. Torque GT also do a direct import so cheaper than buying from them but you have to do some of the leg work yourself - having watched over the import side of it for 3 months whilst looking for my car it really isnt anywhere near as scary as you think and the cars are generally in better condition than UK cars. Worth looking into.

Convert the yen and it does provide a very attractive price. I don't know anything about importing but would expect charges of course on top. But still interesting prices.

http://www.j-spec.co...-R-6950391.html

2mil yen!!

8727de41e223bd83abe298e800977303_zpsbfb130f7.jpg

Holy crap, isn't that like £13k to your door? :scare:

Do any of these import companies provide finance facilities? :teeth: If they do I'm buying one, end of!

Yes price will go up as per any auction - import taxes/fees/shipping etc expect to add about £1.5k - you will also need to add costs of converting the speedo, adding any other UK legal requirements such as fog lights etc. Possibly also undersealing. Still cheaper than here by some way, also each import will come with an assessment sheet, at auction each car is assessed in terms of bodywork and rated (so from write offs up to level 5 which is pretty much new, most people importing aim for 3.5-4.0 as a rating as that means in very good condition with the odd scratch or minor ding).

Say you paid £20k all in for a R35, 50k on the clock (km) would that be so bad.

How many people drive import Zeds, I'd buy an important without any haste.

Wouldn't the R35 be restricted by the ECU over any given speed like the 350 was?

That's the auction start price. Then you need to add import taxes, handling fees, shipping etc.

Yea, I added about £1500 for importing etc as 2m Yen is about £11.5k.

I wonder how much they actually go for?

Wouldn't the R35 be restricted by the ECU over any given speed like the 350 was?

I think so. Isn't it Japanese law? I remember watching a Top Gear once where Jezza was driving a new Evo in Japan that was limited to 112mph, but once the GPS detected it was at an officially recognised track it knocked off the limiter :D

Easy to get around the top speed issue ;)

Most importers will get rid of it as part of their UK prep :)

Import duty into the UK is 10% + VAT so 30% total on the FOB price, they also charge that on the shipping.

So if a car costs you £15K shipped you will pay £4500 of duty and VAT.

There is no SVA test and model reports anymore though, this has been replaced with the IVA test which makes things easier. As has been mentioned anything over 10 years old just requires an MOT then you can register it.

Import duty into the UK is 10% + VAT so 30% total on the FOB price, they also charge that on the shipping.

So if a car costs you £15K shipped you will pay £4500 of duty and VAT.

There is no SVA test and model reports anymore though, this has been replaced with the IVA test which makes things easier. As has been mentioned anything over 10 years old just requires an MOT then you can register it.

Still a bargain! Fancy importing one for me on finance? :lol:

I think so. Isn't it Japanese law? I remember watching a Top Gear once where Jezza was driving a new Evo in Japan that was limited to 112mph, but once the GPS detected it was at an officially recognised track it knocked off the limiter :D

That was the R35, as soon as it recognised it was at a track it was delimited, all jdm cars are ltd to 112mph - 180kmh, so a speedo chip converter basically delimits the car as its still thinks it doing kmh, so your good to 180 :)

From what I can see a 2009 R35 would cost you around 500,000 JPY so around £29K, as Dan mentioned the auction prices are just starting prices :)

Still plenty of bargains to be had though

Cheapest 09 R35 on pistonheads is £33k and ironically an import, starting price for a UK 09 seems to be £35k, so a possible £5k ish grand saving.

If the exchange rate creeps up by another 10 yen to the £, thats quite a bit taking into account 500k yen buy price.