Exchange Rate

Jetpilot

I'd pay £5K to not have Japanese writing all over the inside of the car, AND have all the proper documentation, AND less hassle selling it on.

I agree 1000%. It's not a big enough saving considering you'd be parting with £30k.

Edited by Kev
  • Like 1

I'd pay £5K to not have Japanese writing all over the inside of the car, AND have all the proper documentation, AND less hassle selling it on.

Lovely if you are in that position, but what about if you didnt have the extra £5k and high £20's was a stretch, i bet my left nut you wouldnt say no and thats exactly why imports are/were popular, they bring cars some people couldnt afford into budget and eventually, prices between the 2 level off, hardly any difference between uk and jdm 350's these days but i bet there was when they first came over :)

Lovely if you are in that position, but what about if you didnt have the extra £5k and high £20's was a stretch, i bet my left nut you wouldnt say no and thats exactly why imports are/were popular, they bring cars some people couldnt afford into budget and eventually, prices between the 2 level off, hardly any difference between uk and jdm 350's these days but i bet there was when they first came over :)

According to what you say re pistonheads ads there is no difference with GTR prices now (£35k uk, £33k import).

It's nothing for a car that needs a service every six months, eats tyres and does 15mpg if you drive like a saint.

If the uk car you mention needs tyres and the jap one doesn't they're virtually the same price.

I understand, but if you can't afford the extra £5K then you can't afford the car. This is why decent cars end up being run into the ground, because they get bought on the cheap and then maintained on peanuts, and then become teh sheds we all mock on eBay! :lol:

• Like 1

According to what you say re pistonheads ads there is no difference with GTR prices now (£35k uk, £33k import).

It's nothing for a car that needs a service every six months, eats tyres and does 15mpg if you drive like a saint.

If the uk car you mention needs tyres and the jap one doesn't they're virtually the same price.

I agree if its £2 or £3k, but we are assuming on gtr prices out of jdm, i have asked a guy who imports on private request what they could be bought for, i will let you know.

Assuming all things are equal condition wise, tyres etc etc and a saving of £5k or upwards and that puts it in someones price range, i stand by my point, there is no way someone wouldnt buy it because of jdm stickers ;)

I understand, but if you can't afford the extra £5K then you can't afford the car. This is why decent cars end up being run into the ground, because they get bought on the cheap and then maintained on peanuts, and then become teh sheds we all mock on eBay! :lol:

But if its available for £5k cheaper, playing devils advocate, i can afford the car ;) Doesnt mean i cant run it, just means i cant afford to get the extra on a loan or cant be bothered to save for longer (hypothetically) For a man who doesnt worry about the badge on the front of the car as long as its a good drive you sure have a hang about some jdm stickers no one will ever see from the outside ;)

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

But that's what I'd see every time I drive the car, and I matter more than other people ;)

Dan it must take you ages to get ready for work in the morning, making sure everything is right!! ;)

• Like 1

I don't speak Japlish, why would I want a car plastered with it on the inside? :shrug:

All those buttons, of which there are many in the GT-R, all in gibberish. You guys can't tell me you'd actually be happy with that?

I don't speak Japlish, why would I want a car plastered with it on the inside? :shrug:

All those buttons, of which there are many in the GT-R, all in gibberish. You guys can't tell me you'd actually be happy with that?

aswell as the **** nav the radio being in different frequency also if its like the zed the keys work on different frequencies so can't get spares if one breaks, it drives me nuts in my zed so id rather pay the extra to get a uk one.

You guys can't tell me you'd actually be happy with that?

Already happy with it as i drive an import! As mentioned early, i havent had a uk car for 10 or 12+ years or so and been driving around in the same car (on the most part) as uk owners but paid less and lost less, in most cases when i was buying from the jdm auctions at Southampton, selling for more than i paid, i think i will sacrifice that for a few random stickers that i never need look at or no one notices when they get in the car. If you can afford to loose the money and your budget is infinite i am genuinely pleased for you, i have mates who have done £100's of 1000's on cars, but they can afford it to be in whatever is en vogue, i cant, so if i was in a position to just afford a jdm import but not its uk equivalent (lets say there was a substantial saving), i would be insane not to enjoy it because of some stickers wouldnt I?

• Like 1

So does everyone in the world bar me just have £20k knocking around doing nothing? :lol:

Didn't you come to the recent meet called the "Free 20k in your pocket gathering" I went twice ;)

So does everyone in the world bar me just have £20k knocking around doing nothing? :lol:

Didn't you come to the recent meet called the "Free 20k in your pocket gathering" I went twice ;)

Damn, must of clashed with the other meet of 'Come fit odd wheels to your car' explains the lack of turnout.
  • Like 2

The pound is quite strong at the moment which makes importing such much more attractive....but I totally agree with the concept that if you cannot afford the £5K price difference between a UK GTR and an imported one than your wasting your time dreaming about owning one.

These are 500bhp machines that are on par with any Ferrari etc, and have running costs to go along with that, I've seriously looked into owning one and after looking at all the costs have come to the conclusion that theres just no way I could afford to run one....and thats with me spending on average £700/month on my 335i over the last 3 years, I reckon your be looking at close to £1K/month for a GTR, at least.

Given that many GTRs here are also modified very nicely (and at great expense), I can only conclude owning a GTR is something that really reserved for those who have enough disposable income that they simply don't need to think about budgeting for running costs etc....which means I've accepted I'll never be able to run one :surrender:...Still it doesn't stop me from wanting one :wub:

Edited by gangzoom