Nasty surprise from Wales trip

chirag1988

I don't get why it's so hard to believe that people don't speed.

Really, you should be glancing down at your dash every few seconds (I won't put a number on it, but every decent driver will know what I mean) to not only check your speed, but also to check on temp & press gauges, along with other warning/info labels. Doing that, and having relatively basic throttle control, means it's virtually impossible to speed unintentionally.

It's not a case of staring at the speedo, nor saying that everyone does it so it's okay, it's actually perfectly possible not to speed ever. Its a conscientious decision in the vast majority of cases, whether that's because they want to go fast or because they're not paying any attention to the dash because they can't be arsed.

The worst thing to claim when you're speeding is that you didn't know speed you were doing. That's just as bad as staring at the dash all the time.

I don't get why it's so hard to believe that people don't speed.

Really, you should be glancing down at your dash every few seconds (I won't put a number on it, but every decent driver will know what I mean) to not only check your speed, but also to check on temp & press gauges, along with other warning/info labels. Doing that, and having relatively basic throttle control, means it's virtually impossible to speed unintentionally.

It's not a case of staring at the speedo, nor saying that everyone does it so it's okay, it's actually perfectly possible not to speed ever. Its a conscientious decision in the vast majority of cases, whether that's because they want to go fast or because they're not paying any attention to the dash because they can't be arsed.

The worst thing to claim when you're speeding is that you didn't know speed you were doing. That's just as bad as staring at the dash all the time.

maybe you need to teach the rest of essex how to do this because like i said i'm on a tracker so i couldn't speed if i wanted to but when i'm on the a127 right on the speed limit a good 75% of people are overtaking me

and when i'm in the 30 limits right on the 30 i've usually got a big que behind me who overtake if possible usually giving me the finger

I never use the spedo in the Zed as its almost impossible to see without taking your eyes off the road.

Unless your current speed is printed on the road, that's true of every car. Ever.

I put the MPG mode on in the LCD computer display, so a quick gland is sufficient as its right in front of you :thumbs:

Eh? What use is that? Why don't you put the speed up on that display at glance at something useful instead?

Edited by ilogikal1

I never use the spedo in the Zed as its almost impossible to see without taking your eves off the road.

So is every speedo ever, unless you have a HUD like the M5.

I'm not talking about checking the exact speed of 33mph or 34mph, but the dial will be marked clearly enough that just a split second glance will tell you if the needle is on or past the 30 mark.

• Like 1

Got stopped by a very nasty copper for speeding a few years ago and whilst he said everything he could to wind me up he did ask a valid question that had a point.

He asked how long i had had a licence, i answered at the time about 25 years.

And he simply said, 25 years and you cant tell your driving over the limit.

The reason i say he had a point is because if you drive along without looking at the speedo and try and get the speed of the car right in a 30 you will find that nine times out of ten when you look at the speedo your almost bang on if not a tadge under.

Next time your out there give it a go, its surprising how all those years do give you a memory for how the speed should feel.

I should point out that his reason for saying this was because my defense was that the speedo was in kmh and not mph and i though i was about right.

A lame excuse and he proved his point.

On the plus side

He gave me an NIP and put the wrong date on it and i got away with it. It was the turning point for me though and i decided to try and enjoy my riding/driving and not just the speed.

I too am now capable of having a que of cars behind me in a 30mph. Always makes me smile.

Edited by gsexr
  • Like 1

We've all done it, I've been caught a few years back. Undercover BMW parked behind a bush, booked me doing 40 entering a 30, I was decelerating at the time, just cosseting in the gears you know. I saw it and by the time I thought that's an undercover... It was too late.

They asked me how fast I was going I said I was decelerating, to which they replied the standard issue do you know what the limit is etc. Things changed when they said you were doing forty, what do you think if that it words to that effect, to which I replied. I'm in the wrong, if you say I was doing 40 I was doing 40. The mood changed and they turned out ok, gave me one of those education corses as Dorset has some silly no excuses programme, and I was off on my way.

I have had some stupid experiences in past though it has to be said with some jobs worths, they are out there like in any job.

My old neighbour was a traffic cop, he told me there's a attitude test. Fail it and they will make life difficult. So I always stick to that, they're only people doing their job at the end of the day.

The way I look at it, because I still speed. If I didn't have fun still I'd buy an estate. However if I get booked I wasn't paying enough attention, or I was doing it at the wrong time/place... Yellow boxes and neon painted vans are pretty obvious let's be fair. Just gotta take it in the chin like a man.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but those who were wondering about the speed awareness course.

Last year when I had mine they told us it was for your first offence in 3 years (records stay with the awareness company for 5) and only "qualify" for the course within a certain limit - which they didn't mention.

A traffic cop told me for doing 45 in a 30, they wouldn't offer the course. Whether or not 15+ is the cut off I can't be certain.

The Speed Awareness Course is offered for offences at the following speeds (subject to the above criteria being met):

36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 & 42 MPH in a 30 MPH Limit

47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 & 53 MPH in a 40 MPH Limit

58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 & 64 MPH in a 50 MPH Limit

69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 & 75 MPH in a 60 MPH Limit

80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 & 86 MPH in a 70 MPH Limit

The course is not applicable for offences committed in a 20mph limit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Those figures above are not what I've been told, for example North Wales Police will send a notice of prosecution at 34 in a 30 limit, just ask Husky who got a ticket in Corwen on the Wales run (he posted a photo of the ticket). I also know of someone (my ex wife actually :lol: ) who got caught on The Aston Hill doing 58 and was not offered an SAC despite it being her first offense since she passed her test in the 70's. Of course, it could be something to do with the fact that she got caught again on exactly the same piece of road doing 60 a couple of weeks later, what a muppet.

Pete

I just assumed that was a rough idea of what they would be. Couple of my friends have been caught in Wales doing either 41/42 mph and 38 mph in 30 zones, both were offered the course.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Edited by KrisRatcliffe