Too busy on ya phone

Michelle

Of course, many of us used to use mobile phones perfectly well without crashing and burning and running over school children every day before they changed the law.

Texting is stupid, being on the phone can still leave you in full control. Much like using Bluetooth can still be a huge distraction, just depends on the driver.

• Like 1

Yep people on phones while driving are fine.....bysumabe.jpg

I was on the bike stationary , 3 years of my life on hold and learning to walk again!!

Jesus, you had a lucky escape there mate. Not a nice thing to go through I'm sure, but happy that you're here to tell the tale.

People driving whilst on the phone really wind me up too.

• Like 1

Thanks steve916 . The worst experience of my life, there is no excuse for it. A 6 month ban for first offenders should be a minimum, it ruins Peoples lives . All for a 2 minute phone call!

• Like 1

Oh Im really gonna take pics while Im driving....!!..sorry if I've offended but it does annoy me...

+1.

Selfish stupid f**kers if you ask me. :angry:

Why don't people just stop to take a phone call or make a text. :shrug: Worst I saw was some stupid young girl texting whilst driving. :thumbdown:

Someone I know stopped a few weeks ago to take a call, they pulled in a layby, a police car pulled in behind them while they were on the phone

They were then told it was illegal to use the phone with the engine running and fined them !

Studies have shown being on the phone while driving reduces concentration and increases reaction times and therefore overall stopping distance, and i can pretty much guarantee that most people on here drive closer to the car in front of them then is safe.

lets compare texting to say, messing with buttons on a cd player..... you take your eyes off the road for a second to find the correct button on the cd player, whereas texting, you take your eyes off your phone for a second to look at the road!! (or thats how i see people drive at least)

someone drifted into the fast lane which i was in while on their phone, i beeped at them and they sh*t themselves thinking there was going to be a crash!!!

DONT USE YOUR PHONE WHILE DRIVING PEOPLE!!!!!!

• Like 1

Oh Im really gonna take pics while Im driving....!!..sorry if I've offended but it does annoy me...

+1.

Why don't people just stop to take a phone call or make a text. :shrug: Worst I saw was some stupid young girl texting whilst driving. :thumbdown:

Someone I know stopped a few weeks ago to take a call, they pulled in a layby, a police car pulled in behind them while they were on the phone

They were then told it was illegal to use the phone with the engine running and fined them !

Yeah I've heard that too.

Supposed to turn the engine off but personally I think thats OTT especially if you are obviously pulled off the road safely using your phone whilst stopped. Not that I'd try to argue that with the Police. :lol:;)

Yep people on phones while driving are fine.....bysumabe.jpg

I was on the bike stationary , 3 years of my life on hold and learning to walk again!!

Just noticed your post ZEUS.

Glad your alive after that, :scare: ..but sorry to read that it's obviously going to be a long recovery. :byebye:

Get well soon bud. :thumbs:

+1.

Yeah I've heard that too.

Supposed to turn the engine off but personally I think thats OTT especially if you are obviously pulled off the road safely using your phone whilst stopped. Not that I'd try to argue that with the Police. :lol:;)

Totally agree, he had the sense to pull off the carriageway, a warning would have done, north Wales police ker Ching !

• Like 1

Cheers GM , that was back in 2009 and I'm as good as I'll get now but I often wonder what his call was about, must of been soooooo important ......

Oh right so it was a while ago. Still very nasty and glad that you're still with us. ;)

I remember watching a "Traffic Cops" episode a while ago where a young woman in her car was killed after a lorry driver using his mobile plowed into stationary traffic. Never worth the risk of using your phone whilst driving imo.

Driving down the M6 yesterday late afternoon in heavy traffic and I kept passing a home improvements van with the driver using his ipad and phone simultaneously!!! Best thing was there was a passenger in the van just sat there doing nothing. Really annoys me this behaviour.

With reference to GIXXERUK post, it is illegal to use a phone even when stationary until you turn the engine off!

being on the phone can still leave you in full control

This is the heart of the problem really. It's just a very arrogant stance that far too many people adopt "I'm a great driver, so it's O.K for me to use my phone while driving". I'm not highlighting you Dan, I'm just saying that you can't be in full control while using your phone, fiddling with your radio/Sat Nav, eating a sandwich, etc. 99.9% in control, yes but that isn't good enough, we need to get that figure as close to 100% as possible BY removing as many distractions as we can.

Pete

• Like 1

As a rule I tend to agree with you Pete, anything which distracts has the potential to cause problems when driving.

My own concentration definitely drops off when I'm on the phone, however I managed to drive like that for years without having an accident. I think it's very much down to the individual, in so far as some people can multitask and some cannot. Hell, I see enough people everyday who are not on the phone, eating, fiddling with the radio etc who are utterly appalling drivers!

• Like 1

I cant believe the number of people I see driving on their phones on our housing estate, usually while doing 30+ past the primary school gates! They are either 1 minute away from leaving or getting to home. This really, really annoys me!

No phone call is that important!!

For those that think it is OK, put yourself in Zeus' position. 3 years lost and I am sure there is a lot he cannot do now that he used to be able to do.

• Like 2

As a rule I tend to agree with you Pete, anything which distracts has the potential to cause problems when driving.

My own concentration definitely drops off when I'm on the phone, however I managed to drive like that for years without having an accident. I think it's very much down to the individual, in so far as some people can multitask and some cannot. Hell, I see enough people everyday who are not on the phone, eating, fiddling with the radio etc who are utterly appalling drivers!

o i see thats why the MPSS are good so it balances out the delayed reaction

o i see thats why the MPSS are good so it balances out the delayed reaction

:lol:

IMO There is a time and place for everything.

I.e. Obviously we all abide the law, never speed etc...But you all know when and where to do something.

Thought about it...but she was driving a nice bronze zed....lol

phew!!! so glad it wasn't me, I'm gagging to wave at someone lol.... My excuse would have been,,, just back from watching footie in Miami, picked car up from cougars with new exhaust and spacers,, defo otherwise engaged lol..

Whilst I hate to agree your on the money.

Trust me I feel Zeus's pain after a very bad motorbike accident myself, although not as severe or being on a mobile.

Imho being on a mobile is no worse than talking to a passenger or plural, adjusting stereo/sat nav, rummaging around in handbags, eating, drinking, smoking, adjusting heater controls. As Ekona says there are hundreds of 1000's of people who have driven whilst on the mobile with no incident what so ever. If you really want to be pedantic whats the difference between talking on bluetooth, or having a phone to your ear, except of course you have one hand off the wheel, we all have our hand off the wheel to change gear regularly.

Unless your putting the driver in complete isolation there will always be distractions. The amount of parents I see turning round to talk to kids in the back is scary, way more dangerous than using a phone, but its easy to target someone using a phone.

I dont condone it for any one minute, but sadly accidents happen, the driver is more often the cause of the problem imho.

I do 40k plus miles a year, mostly on my own and have used a mobile or car phone for too many years to count but I have always had a proper car kit fitted. Mobile phones aren't dangerous, it's the idiots that use them inappropriately that are dangerous. Let the phone go to voicemail if it's not safe to answer.

I once had a manager who threatened me with a written warning for not answering my phone, showed him Co. handbook and told him i would take said warning to m.d. - never did get the warning!

Seen too many accidents, some with worse results than seen above, I could not live with myself if I ever thought I was responsible for someone else's injury or death.