Paint thickness and warranty claim

wizurd

Does anybody know what the paint thickness should be for the 350z?

Just had mine checked for the warranty and they are saying it's got signs of over thick paint on both rear arches and the front bonnet. Now I don't believe that for a second but I need to find out what the numbers should be then I can challenge them if it's wrong. Any advice welcomed :)

Think a few people on here have tried claiming their warranty for rust issues and ended up with a nightmare of a saga. Tbh I doubt you would have a hard time proving that when people with visable rust couldn't get it fixed :lol:

On the positive side - latest success:

http://www.350z-uk.c...-claim-success/

Is the "over thick paint" comment because the garage are intimating repair work has been done in those areas, which may well affect a warranty claim?

Yep the guy showed me the report. Basically just a a top down view of the car, hightlighted the bonnet and rear wings with numbers written on them. The number's he said they should be were a lot lower than the numbers recorded on my report, he said it would look like the car has therefore been sprayed in those areas before.

He backed off a little when i said i've had the car nearly 2 years and no paint work has been done, the previous owner (also a forum member) had the car around 2 years and again no spray work in these areas. I said "so you're telling me someone decided to spray both rear wings and the bonnet within the first 5 years of ownership?" he suggested then that Nissan do have differences in paint thicknesses.

To be fair it's not up to him and he said that and i accepted that. He'll send it off along with the service history photocopied from the booklet (all nissan expect last one which was Abbey) and he'll let me know what they say.

I know people have had total nightmares trying this in the past and have got no where but then other's have succeeded even without ticking all the boxes. Didn't like the idea they are trying to say the car has been sprayed before. Obviously i cannot 100% guarentee what happened to the car in its first 5 or so years of ownership, but was only 1 owner and a full nissan service history then as well. I would have thought therefore that there would be some record maybe with Nissan about the car if it had had any work done in that part of its life.

It's not impossible that someone has had it resprayed in the first 5 years, just a lot less likely. It's not got any "written" off history or anything like that.

I'm going to call a paint shop in Cardiff and ask them if they can measure the paint as well.

It took them about an hour and a half to measure the paint. He said the paint shop were having problems because the car needs to be dry, he even mentioned about them putting it in the oven to dry it out but i'm not sure what he meant by that. I get the feeling they've not done it right.

He's sending me the report on email anyway. What i wanted to do was take these numbers and find out what Nissan's actual paint thickness numbers are for these areas. Anyone have any idea on what they should be?

Roughly the numbers i had were:

320 on the bonnet

280 ish on both wings

I think he said that they should be

260 on the bonnet

250 on the wings

Something like that, but i'll get the exact numbers when he gets back to me

All good information for anyone else anyway

Usually closer to 140 on most modern cars

I bought my Merc E class new and during a warranty claim they found the roof had been repainted and tried to blame me . I keep EVERY receipt so was prepared for a fight but they then told me it had been repainted at the factory prior to delivery

I'm picking up a new car (volvo) next month - is it worth having them check the paint, write it all down signing it and keeping a copy ?

Edited by ioneabee

If you bring the car to an experienced bodyshop, they will tell you by eye if it's been resprayed. The paint from different guns and different people gets laid down down differently, so is visibly different to a keen eye.

Usually closer to 140 on most modern cars

I bought my Merc E class new and during a warranty claim they found the roof had been repainted and tried to blame me . I keep EVERY receipt so was prepared for a fight but they then told me it had been repainted at the factory prior to delivery

Was talking about this with my dad last night. He said that he brought a brand new Datsun . I'm guessing in the seventies ! He said that it had been resprayed on the ship over and that the ship was equipped with a spray booth to touch them up on the way over ! Haha do you think they still do that ?

Was talking about this with my dad last night. He said that he brought a brand new Datsun . I'm guessing in the seventies ! He said that it had been resprayed on the ship over and that the ship was equipped with a spray booth to touch them up on the way over ! Haha do you think they still do that ?

Unlikely to do it on a ship, I would have thought, (think of the space it would take up that could be used for paying customers!) but it's not uncommon for dealerships to have paintwork done between the factory and the customer handover on new cars.

If you bring the car to an experienced bodyshop, they will tell you by eye if it's been resprayed. The paint from different guns and different people gets laid down down differently, so is visibly different to a keen eye.

Once you know what to look for you could be half blind with syphallis and spot a paint job repair.

Usually orange peel and Christ knows what else. The way the metallic flake sit and reflects the light is another give away.

You've got to remember these cars are sprays by robots in a uniform fashion. Once a human is introduced to the equation then things will start to become more noticeable.

Once you know what to look for you could be half blind with syphallis and spot a paint job repair.

Usually orange peel and Christ knows what else. The way the metallic flake sit and reflects the light is another give away.

You've got to remember these cars are sprays by robots in a uniform fashion. Once a human is introduced to the equation then things will start to become more noticeable.

Yea, this is my point. There's also the wave in the paint. It'll be a different size and shape to what left the factory.

Yea, this is my point. There's also the wave in the paint. It'll be a different size and shape to what left the factory.

You should see the wave in that CRX I'm selling on eBay.......it's like being in the North Sea!

You should see the wave in that CRX I'm selling on eBay.......it's like being in the North Sea!

Nothing a bit of Dodo Juice can't fix :lol:

Edited by KyleR

No updates at present but thanks for the replies all. Going to take her to a detailer around from me since they measure paint prior to any polishing. Should be able to double check these readings then. Also chasing up the very early part of the cars history. Will be interesting to find out. Thing is all the usual checks have been done so as far as you can tell it's not been in an accident etc. Crossing fingers